Traveling Outside the US As Asylee applicant ,Asylee,LPR through Asylum

Hi, if applied for RTD for the first time, how long it takes to get approved( if approved)? If you change your legal name, does it affect the result?

Hi, if applied for RTD for the first time, how long it takes to get approved( if approved)? If you change your legal name, does it affect the result?
It usually takes 4-6 months to get approved. Did you change your name before or after applying? If before, no, it doesn't affect the result, as long as you submitted evidence of your name change, you'll get your RTD with your name change. If you changed it after you applied, then yes, the RTD might not be valid because it has your old name.

It usually takes 4-6 months to get approved. Did you change your name before or after applying? If before, no, it doesn't affect the result, as long as you submitted evidence of your name change, you'll get your RTD with your name change. If you changed it after you applied, then yes, the RTD might not be valid because it has your old name.

If it takes 4-6 months each time and if they give it for only 1 year validity, and you can't also use it in the last 3 months of validity in Europe etc. Then it means most of the time you will not be able to use it right?

If it takes 4-6 months each time and if they give it for only 1 year validity, and you can't also use it in the last 3 months of validity in Europe etc. Then it means most of the time you will not be able to use it right?
Yeah, the document is pretty useless, lol, but it is what it is. Just plan your travels as much in advance as you can.

yes EXACTLY that's my problem too :(

I learned that you can get a new one (apply for a new one) if you send in your old one too (for example when it's only 6 months valid and many countries ask for a document valid more than 6 months) , i haven't done this yet tho.

I just want to inform everyone about my experience getting a new Refugee Travel Document:

I did not send in my old RTD
I applied 6 months before old one expires
I got new one 5 months later (1 month before old one expires)
There was no request to send in old one !

I just want to inform everyone about my experience getting a new Refugee Travel Document:

I did not send in my old RTD
I applied 6 months before old one expires
I got new one 5 months later (1 month before old one expires)
There was no request to send in old one !
Did you receive a notice for your I-485 application yet?

Did you receive a notice for your I-485 application yet?

I had not applied for I-485 when I applied for second RTD.

I just filed for my I-485 two weeks ago to Nebraska Service Center and got receipt number via text last Friday, waiting for receipt to come in mail.

Hello, I have a valid RTD and a pending green card application. Am I allowed to travel internationally with the valid RTD even though my green card application is pending? Do I need to get advance parole before I leave? Thank you.

Hello, I have a valid RTD and a pending green card application. Am I allowed to travel internationally with the valid RTD even though my green card application is pending? Do I need to get advance parole before I leave? Thank you.

Yes, you can travel internationally with your RTD and pending GC application. No, AP is not necessary. You probably SHOULDN'T travel at the moment though. Most countries have their borders closed. You might have difficulty re-entering the US unless you're a citizen or already have a Green Card. I'm actually in the same situation as you - RTD + GC application pending. My attorney has strongly advised me I do not leave the country until I either get the GC, or the COVID-19 crisis abates.

Yes, you can travel internationally with your RTD and pending GC application. No, AP is not necessary. You probably SHOULDN'T travel at the moment though. Most countries have their borders closed. You might have difficulty re-entering the US unless you're a citizen or already have a Green Card. I'm actually in the same situation as you - RTD + GC application pending. My attorney has strongly advised me I do not leave the country until I either get the GC, or the COVID-19 crisis abates.

Thanks so much for your reply. I will heed your advice and not travel. Do you think we will have interviews for our green cards? I heard people are receiving their green cards without interviews. Will be amazing if they can waive the interview requirement and just mail the green cards :)

Thanks so much for your reply. I will heed your advice and not travel. Do you think we will have interviews for our green cards? I heard people are receiving their green cards without interviews. Will be amazing if they can waive the interview requirement and just mail the green cards :)
Asylees adjusting status don't normally get called for interviews anyway unless there's some piece of information that cannot be verified, or there's some sort of problem with their application or history with USCIS. My attorney said that in view of COVID-19 even less people are being called in for an interview. So chances are in our favor, but you never know. Just gotta keep an eye on the application status.

Hi Everyone, I am planning a trip to Istanbul Turkey for May 2021. I am a GC holder yet since I will be eligible to apply June 2021. Anyone has experience traveling to Turkey with a refugee travel document? Thanks

Hi Everyone, I am planning a trip to Istanbul Turkey for May 2021. I am a GC holder yet since I will be eligible to apply June 2021. Anyone has experience traveling to Turkey with a refugee travel document? Thanks
I don't have any personal experience traveling to Turkey, but from my last research about 1 year ago, you need a visa to be able to visit Turkey with an RTD whether you have a GC or not. I would not start the visa process until after winter and after making sure Turkey is open to US tourists. If COVID gets out of hand again over the winter, many countries will likely reimpose travel restrictions.

Hello I want to travel abroad for vacations, I am already an asylee and I am wondering if traveling outside the US puts the status on danger

Hi guys I have a question I wanna travel to Europe in few months with RTD and hopefully green card by that time (most likely EU will be still closed for people coming from USA) but I want to go to England and after that some eastern European countries that they are open for USA, my question is do I need visa for England with US RTD is it hard to get that visa ? Thanks

Hi guys I have a question I wanna travel to Europe in few months with RTD and hopefully green card by that time (most likely EU will be still closed for people coming from USA) but I want to go to England and after that some eastern European countries that they are open for USA, my question is do I need visa for England with US RTD is it hard to get that visa ? Thanks

Yes, you need a visa to visit the UK with an RTD. I'm not sure of their visa process, but I don't think they're open right now. Most embassies and consulates are currently only offering emergency services to their citizens only. Also, keep in mind that even if you do get a visa, the UK has a mandatory 14-day quarantine for anyone who arrives from abroad. I would not make any plans to travel abroad at least until after spring. Things are likely to get bad during winter and many countries will likely go into lockdowns over the next few months.

Hello, I have posted the documents required for RTD. It seems it was delivered on December 20. However, I have not received any information that it has still been received or processed. It has been 1 month, now I am tired of waiting for more. Is this normal?

Hello, I have posted the documents required for RTD. It seems it was delivered on December 20. However, I have not received any information that it has still been received or processed. It has been 1 month, now I am tired of waiting for more. Is this normal?

It's normal. They processed my check after 20 days or so and send receipt in a month. Also processing time is terrible. Today it looks like they're processing April/May applications.

I applied on December 1st 2020 and I just got information today