Still waiting for my asylum decision

Next about the inquiries, when you contact them by mail and they respond someone signs that letter , look him up and find his email address online.you can inquire about your case that way as well. But the right way is to contact your states asylum office by email and give all the data you had given by mail to them . for example for LA it is :Losangelesasylum@uscis.dhs.gov
try the name of the city followed by @uscis.dhs.gov or ask the local office. they gave us this email address.
I was looking up what agencies exactly are doing the background checks for asylums and I ran into this page of the uscis website which mentions that a copy of the I589 form is sent to the Department of state and the biographical information goes to .FBI
so I just inquired about the case from FBI and Department of State through my congressman and I will share their response as soon as I get any.

Yes I am from Iran.
But Student visas are exempt from the ban and I got two student visas so far.
Wow
The fact that you got two student visas indicates that you left the US and probably visited Iran and that's a red flag both for asylum credibility and more importantly the US security. It's a valid question for anyone who is evaluating your case to ask what possibly this guy who fears persecution got two visas for? only one is enough to enter the US and stay here. Why did he go back for a possible visit and came back unharmed?

Given the current political tension, I'd say you're looking at extensive security checks. Just read in the news today that they deported an Iranian with a valid visa in Boston without giving any reason, even though there was a judge who ordered the deportation to be withheld.

I don't know what organization is in charge of the security checks, but I'm pretty certain no amount of persistent follow-up will get you anywhere. Don't bother calling the office or the senator. Just wait and hope nothing bad happens.

Are you still in status?
I encourage you to maintain your status.

Last edited:
Wow
The fact that you got two student visas indicates that you left the US and probably visited Iran and that's a red flag both for asylum credibility and more importantly the US security. It's a valid question for anyone who is evaluating your case to ask what possibly this guy who fears persecution got two visas for? only one is enough to enter the US and stay here. Why did he go back for a possible visit and came back unharmed?

Given the current political tension, I'd say you're looking at extensive security checks. Just read in the news today that they deported an Iranian with a valid visa in Boston without giving any reason, even though there was a judge who ordered the deportation to be withheld.

I don't know what organization is in charge of the security checks, but I'm pretty certain no amount of persistent follow-up will get you anywhere. Don't bother calling the office or the senator. Just wait and hope nothing bad happens.

Are you still in status?
I encourage you to maintain your status.

There is a misunderstanding.
I came here as a student in 2017(single entry) .
I went back for summer break on June 2018.
I stayed for 8 months and then returned with my husband after getting married.(second visa was multiple which is still valid through Dec 2020)
My husband is Jewish and I had converted (officially) in US in Feb and got our Jewish wedding papers as we wanted our children to be Jewish.
The exact day my father in law passed away and we had to return to Iran , My family's friends, neighbors and everyone found out he was jewish since the ceremonies were taking place in a synagogue and the graveyards were different and everything. (during the 7 years of our friendship before marriage nobody but my parents knew he was Jewish)
When we arrived in US and did all those stuff we did not want anyone to find out that I converted since it would have been a big trouble for me in Iran so we wanted to keep it a secret but as we arrived people even my closest family members started to act weird and after a week my dad asked me to leave before anyone causes me a problem since I was finishing my last semester of master's. So I flew back and a month later when my husband returned we consulted with a lawyer and he suggested it would be best for me to apply as an asylum.
and since then I did not return to Iran , but I am in a very tense situation as my mother in law and brother in law are living alone and went through the grief alone and my husband wanted to be there with them but we cannot go back to Iran. Hence we are really looking forward for the decision, whatever it is , to be made ASAP so we could request travel documents and travel to Europe or turkey to visit family there .

about the student , they claimed he intended to stay forever and i believe he had proofs.
Unfortunately, Muslims are being considered a threat to US and the more religious they are the odds are more that these stuff happen to them.
and the judge could not order since the student did not enter the US , that was why the judge could not do anything

Next about the inquiries, when you contact them by mail and they respond someone signs that letter , look him up and find his email address online.you can inquire about your case that way as well. But the right way is to contact your states asylum office by email and give all the data you had given by mail to them . for example for LA it is :Losangelesasylum@uscis.dhs.gov
try the name of the city followed by @uscis.dhs.gov or ask the local office. they gave us this email address.
I was looking up what agencies exactly are doing the background checks for asylums and I ran into this page of the uscis website which mentions that a copy of the I589 form is sent to the Department of state and the biographical information goes to .FBI
so I just inquired about the case from FBI and Department of State through my congressman and I will share their response as soon as I get any.
Did you receive a reply from the congressman regarding your background check?

Did you receive a reply from the congressman regarding your background check?
Yes, USCIS had told them they are waiting for some checks to be completed by foreign agencies .
I inquired about our status woth Asylum congressional unit in USCIS and the moment they looked into our case , the USCIS emailed me that our decision is finally being completed and will be mailed within the next 15 days.

Yes, USCIS had told them they are waiting for some checks to be completed by foreign agencies .
I inquired about our status woth Asylum congressional unit in USCIS and the moment they looked into our case , the USCIS emailed me that our decision is finally being completed and will be mailed within the next 15 days.
What is asylum congressional and how we can contact them?
Thank you for reply in advance

I tried this email thingy it didn't work they even asked that you don't send them mail but use mail them through there postal address for confidentiality.

i just had my interview today (05/01/18) at the chicago asylum office, too. i was informed that i would be able to pick up the decision on 05/14/18 but i kinda know that i would have to wait longer than the scheduled date, but i never thought it would be like 2 years long. i hope you get your decision soon.
Me and my Family applied in May2016 still waiting for the interview. Its been almost 3 yrs now. And there is no news.

The Chicago office is notorious for delays - well, I have no real data about other offices, but I have dealt with the chicago office directly. Good luck.
How LIFO system coming along at Chicago office? Is it faster for new recent applicants?

Me and my family came here in sept 2015
We applied for assylum and we received a receipt date 2nd May 2016. We are still waiting for our interview. It will be 5 years in cominv May. Anyone near my dates received interview?? Thank you

If I applied for Asylum and did my interview and was sent to court but still haven’t gone because of the pandemic. If I get married can I just file through marriage instead?