• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

Guys, no need to debate on policies
Just do the medicals by the US approved medical practitioners
You've won a lottery, play to its official terms, policies, rules, regulations and conditions to get the full prize
No need to advise people on these forums to get alternative vaccines in the name of saving peanut cash
What are you really saving in this expensive exercise if you're to analyze the cost-effort analysis?
These advises will make people who aren't good in comprehending facts to go and get vaccines that they don't really need
Shortcuts in life are costly and cheap is always expensive

Are the embassy instructions not clear in Italy, that you didn’t realize it? I’ve heard of people trying to save money by getting vaccinations at cheaper doctors, but I think this is the first time I heard anyone say they actually didn’t know they could just go to the panel doctor. We do see very few DV applicants from Italy on the forum though.

I’m not sure what the vaccine recall situation was that you refer to, but usually if a vaccine isn’t available at the time the panel doctor just exempts it. If it’s something critical, they will tell you to do it when you arrive in the US. We got exempted from varicella as we had a nationwide shortage, the kids got it done when we came to the US (both adults had had chicken pox so were exempted anyway).

In Italy I never heard that I could get extempted because there’s a shortage of vaccines, they’ll just postpone my appointment.

The reason I was advising to do the vaccinations prior the interview is because I’m basing what I say on my experience: is not that I go to a cheap doctor to get cheap vaccines, health care in Italy is “free” and by law we don’t pay certain vaccines made by regular appointment at the disease center trough our health care system.
But we do pay (a lot) the day of the medical check before the interview.
So in the end, adding a doctor in between but acting 2/3 months before it really doesn’t change anything, as for me it worked out because thanks to them I found out how to do this.

As I said, to avoid going to the disease center again (no way I could book an appointment at that time - all fully booked) I had my family doctor to do the flu shot but by law he can’t register that vaccine in the health care system, here it’s something that the disease center does, so I had to go there again (at the reception) with my family doctor certificate and the operator registered it and issued me a new list of vaccines that I’ve done.

Hi All,
I have applied for my police clearance certificate from my country two weeks ago I have lived in sri lanka and as the majority, I never lived in any other country, not more than 6 months. but I have a concern, which was I only added my residences from age of 16. so is it can be a problem not include residencies from the birth?

Thanks

Hi All,
I have applied for my police clearance certificate from my country two weeks ago I have lived in sri lanka and as the majority, I never lived in any other country, not more than 6 months. but I have a concern, which was I only added my residences from age of 16. so is it can be a problem not include residencies from the birth?

Thanks
If you read the instructions they clearly state that you only need to include addresses from the age of 16 - you are fine

The only real time-delay complications that arise at the medical are when someone actually has one of the diseases of communicable significance and requires that to be treated successfully before a visa can be issued. (So If you want to get a head start on anything by visiting your local doctor, it makes much more sense to be tested for TB, gonorrhea, syphilis etc that might need treatment, than getting vaccinations you don’t need.)

This is what I’m doing in the next few days, though pretty sure I will be fine.

Out of curiosity, I had just assumed that if you happened to have a disease of communicable significance it would simply be noted on your report and sent to the consulate anyway (effectively acting as a negative mark once you get to interview).

If you have something treatable, will the panel doctor work with you to treat it/advise you to treat it beforehand and adjust your report accordingly?

This is what I’m doing in the next few days, though pretty sure I will be fine.

Out of curiosity, I had just assumed that if you happened to have a disease of communicable significance it would simply be noted on your report and sent to the consulate anyway (effectively acting as a negative mark once you get to interview).

If you have something treatable, will the panel doctor work with you to treat it/advise you to treat it beforehand and adjust your report accordingly?

If it’s treatable (I think all the listed ones are), yes you will be directed as to how to treat it, and return when it’s clear. Once it’s clear, you will get a clean medical report. (The most common disease for this is TB, prevalent in parts of Africa and Asia.) If you have one of these diseases and don’t get it treated, you won’t get a visa. The procedure to handle it varies by embassy though. Some will interview you on your original scheduled date and keep you in AP until you can submit the all-clear, others delay the interview until you have a clean medical.

Got approved on Thursday, sorry didn't have any time for any updates. Had an interview in Montreal, Canada. It was a snowy and frosty morning :) The interview itself was about 20 seconds or so with 2 questions -- confirming when I graduated high school and if I've ever been arrested -- that's it, so I'm still a little bit shocked from the whole experience. It was so quick, I'm still processing it. We had 2 mistakes on our forms (divorce dates). the officer didn't seem to care very much about it when I brought it up and said - it was ok, and they corrected it already :eek:
I had more questions when I was getting a tourist visa 4 years ago... LOL

Now waiting for our passports back, which are supposed to arrive within 2 weeks.
The officer wanted to give them to us right away (which I never knew they could do) but they had some sort of a technical error with their computer system (sort of we got a reminder about our interview AFTER the interview already happened); So she said, I don't want to keep you waiting, we will mail it to you.
We were so shocked from the whole experience that didn't even object, 'Oh no worries, we'll wait'' LOL we just said Thank you and left with Welcome to America sheet.

So, now just waiting for our passports back, anxiously!

Last edited:
Got approved on Thursday, sorry didn't have any time for any updates. Had an interview in Montreal, Canada. It was a snowy and frosty morning :) The interview itself was about 20 seconds or so with 2 questions -- confirming when I graduated high school and if I've ever been arrested -- that's it, so I'm still a little bit shocked from the whole experience. It was so quick, I'm still processing it. We had 2 mistakes on our forms (divorce dates). the officer didn't seem to care very much about it when I brought it up and said - it was ok, and they corrected it already :eek:

Now waiting for our passports back, which are supposed to arrive within 2 weeks.
The officer wanted to give them to us right away (which I never knew they could do) but they had some sort of a technical error with their computer system (sort of we got a reminder about our interview AFTER the interview already happened); So she said, I don't want to keep you waiting, we will mail it to you.
We were so shocked from the whole experience that didn't even object, 'Oh no worries, we'll wait'' LOL we just said Thank you and left with Welcome to America sheet.

Congratulations!
can you elaborate on that "The officer wants to give them to us right away"
Possible to get the passports on the same day?

Reactions: WBA
Congratulations!
can you elaborate on that "The officer wants to give them to us right away"
Possible to get the passports on the same day?
I'm interested as well, I've heard about people getting their passport by mail the very next day but I didn't hear about having it the same day

Congrats!! Can you share you CN

Thank you so much!
Yes, she wanted to print the visas the same day, but their system was down.
that's awesome. I may land in the US the same day or the next. it's right there.

One question about taxes for anyone who has been through all this. If you transfer money to the US are these funds taxable? And not just money but stuff like cars, furniture... are these taxable in that year of the import?

that's awesome. I may land in the US the same day or the next. it's right there.

One question about taxes for anyone who has been through all this. If you transfer money to the US are these funds taxable? And not just money but stuff like cars, furniture... are these taxable in that year of the import?
The US taxes you on income/gains, not owning assets.

for how long can be treated as assets? Let's say two years later you sell a property and import the money, are they taxable?

The first sentence is kind of a strange question, by definition it's your asset as long as you own it. When you sell an asset at a profit there is a capital gain, that may be taxed. The date on which you land in the US and become an LPR is the date from which you will be liable to pay tax on income or gains. As a LPR you are taxed on worldwide income so it doesn't matter where the property is or whether or not you bring the proceeds into the US, it must be declared on your tax return. Whether or not you will actually owe any tax on it is more complicated, depending what the asset is, how much the gain is, whether you are liable for any tax in the home country and whether or not there is a double tax treaty in place.

By the way if you have more than $10k total overseas in bank accounts or stocks at any point during a year while you are a green card holder, you need to file a report (FBAR) annually listing these assets. It's not very complicated,but must be reported.

Reactions: YTM