• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 soon!

Unless you surrendered your LPR status, you are still an LPR. How long have you been out of the USA?
Thank you for your reply, I came back almost 2 years ago. March 3rd 2018 exactly. Isn't it automatically surrendered when out of the country for 6 months or more?

Thank you for your reply, I came back almost 2 years ago. March 3rd 2018 exactly. Isn't it automatically surrendered when out of the country for 6 months or more?

No. After 1 year of absence you can apply for an SB1 visa to return as a resident. If you have a good reason why you stayed away so long you can get back.

No. After 1 year of absence you can apply for an SB1 visa to return as a resident. If you have a good reason why you stayed away so long you can get back.
None of the reasons they give apply to my situation. I am just being indecisive. Thank you for your help.

None of the reasons they give apply to my situation. I am just being indecisive. Thank you for your help.

Did you file a tax return with the IRS for 2018? Your lpr status would have been valid for all of 2018 (and a bit of this year) if you didn’t formally give up your green card.

Hi help please, I am the principal applicant. I made a mistake on my DV 2021 when entering my country of stay in my mailing address as South Africa instead of USA. though my address is correct. Will this have an impact. I am unable to go back and change it. I picked it up after submission.

Hi help please, I am the principal applicant. I made a mistake on my DV 2021 when entering my country of stay in my mailing address as South Africa instead of USA. though my address is correct. Will this have an impact. I am unable to go back and change it. I picked it up after submission.

As long as your country of eligibility is correct, the mailing address doesn’t matter. If you are selected you will update those details in the ds260.

Did you file a tax return with the IRS for 2018? Your lpr status would have been valid for all of 2018 (and a bit of this year) if you didn’t formally give up your green card.
I did file a tax return as I worked a little bit earl 2018. What's your suggestion then?

Hello,

I have been selected for 2019 and already activated my green card. Can I still participate in the DV2021 ?

Thank you

I might have to stay in Europe for 2 more years, which will make me lose my LPR status, so was wondering if I can re-apply anyway. This is a weird scenario indeed, i will probably not apply again anyway.

I did file a tax return as I worked a little bit earl 2018. What's your suggestion then?

I was just checking that you’re up to date on your obligations, which would be a pre-requisite for any new green card.

I don’t really know what to suggest. (entering the lottery is not generally a “path” to follow, it’s a lottery. ) It’s a pity you didn’t get a re-entry permit.

Absolutely, that's what I am considering. I am only a bit worried that they won't my request for a re-entry permit. I thought it was something difficult to obtain.

I have only ever heard of one instance of someone who had problems getting one and it was such a strange story behind it (green card on employment based visa but someone who wanted to work elsewhere, go figure, there were lawyers involved and the story sounded super strange, think the person doing the second hand retelling of it didn’t know the whole story.) other than that I have never heard of anyone having an issue or having their reasons questioned. The only thing is you have to be in the US both to file the application and to get biometrics done for it.

I have only ever heard of one instance of someone who had problems getting one and it was such a strange story behind it (green card on employment based visa but someone who wanted to work elsewhere, go figure, there were lawyers involved and the story sounded super strange, think the person doing the second hand retelling of it didn’t know the whole story.) other than that I have never heard of anyone having an issue or having their reasons questioned. The only thing is you have to be in the US both to file the application and to get biometrics done for it.

That seems like the best option then, if I decide to go back to Europe for 1 year and a half. Thank you Susie.