• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

I know from realtives' experience that getting a re-entry permit is not an easy breezy thing. They lived there for 2 years with GC and had to come back to nurse a dying parent and it was a PAIN getting it. And this is a guy that holds a key position in Microsoft, owns 2 houses and has a son that was born in the US. Point is, it's gonna be extremely hard to get such a permit for a 'newbie' immigrant who has zero ties to the US. They will see you have no true intention to live in the US (at least not in the near future) and your GC will be revoked. If you are sure you don't want to live in the US right after you get your visa (or in a few months period) then I wouldn't even go on with the process.
Really? I’ve never heard of anyone having trouble getting one before (normally it’s the difficult cases people complain about on the internet!), I wonder why your relatives case was so difficult. I know of a few new immigrants who got them to wrap up stuff back home (work contracts, study commitments etc). No one had any hassle as long as they did what they were supposed to in terms of applying from within the US and remaining till biometrics.

Really? I’ve never heard of anyone having trouble getting one before (normally it’s the difficult cases people complain about on the internet!), I wonder why your relatives case was so difficult. I know of a few new immigrants who got them to wrap up stuff back home (work contracts, study commitments etc). No one had any hassle as long as they did what they were supposed to in terms of applying from within the US and remaining till biometrics.
No idea why, but they had a battery of Microsoft lawyers involved, and it took months. Then they recieved those travel documents (like an American passport but in light blue color) that they had to use when coming back. But isn't work contracts and studies diefferent? I mean, for those things you're obliged to stay in your home country, it's not the case with a newborn, that is a completely personal choice... Anyway, it's a risk

No idea why, but they had a battery of Microsoft lawyers involved, and it took months. Then they recieved those travel documents (like an American passport but in light blue color) that they had to use when coming back. But isn't work contracts and studies diefferent? I mean, for those things you're obliged to stay in your home country, it's not the case with a newborn, that is a completely personal choice... Anyway, it's a risk

This is literally the only time I have EVER, in 7 years of hanging out on immigration forums, ever heard of *anyone* having a problem with a re-entry permit (other than those not following the rules about applying in the US and waiting for bio). What was the basis of your relative’s green card? If it was employment based, I can maybe see that as a reason for the problem, as the rationale behind the GC falls away if he leaves (would also explain why the MSFT lawyers got so involved I guess)

Reactions: YTM

In general, it takes several months for the re-entry permit to get issued and no lawyer involvement is required. If your relatives had to involve “a battery of Microsoft lawyers” in their process, then I think there’s got to be something else going on with your relatives’ case (and their GC/LPR status) which they haven’t shared with you. Re-entry permits are not difficult to get. As a matter of fact, OP doesn’t even have to remain in the US for the re-entry permit to get issued since it takes while. OP can depart from the US after filing and completing the biometrics - the re-entry permit will be sent to a US embassy in OP’s home country for pickup when it becomes ready (if OP selects a US embassy as the pickup location).

Reactions: YTM
Hi, i am tghe winner of DV lottery 2020 qand my case number is 2020AS000095##. I am currently at US and also i fill out DS-260 form and i already send to KCC and they email me back saying that i can do Adjustment Of Status from here and as well as i am F1 STATUS and i do have TPS. But i amwoorried about my visa number . Do you think i will get my visa number cause my number is high. your help will be really appreciated.

This is literally the only time I have EVER, in 7 years of hanging out on immigration forums, ever heard of *anyone* having a problem with a re-entry permit (other than those not following the rules about applying in the US and waiting for bio). What was the basis of your relative’s green card? If it was employment based, I can maybe see that as a reason for the problem, as the rationale behind the GC falls away if he leaves (would also explain why the MSFT lawyers got so involved I guess)

Yeah, it was employment based... Other than that I don't know the details (it was a few years ago) but I really doubt they did anything wrong or 'dropped' details, just by knowing them...

Hello everyone, I can't sign and submit the DS 260 form, the Female Genital Mutilations/cutting (fgm/c) Prevention certification checkbox is inactive. I wonder what could be the problem.

Attachments

• ds260.PNG
    ds260.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 32
Hi, i am tghe winner of DV lottery 2020 qand my case number is 2020AS000095##. I am currently at US and also i fill out DS-260 form and i already send to KCC and they email me back saying that i can do Adjustment Of Status from here and as well as i am F1 STATUS and i do have TPS. But i amwoorried about my visa number . Do you think i will get my visa number cause my number is high. your help will be really appreciated.

Your CN will most likely become current in 2020. No one here can reassure you as to if you’ll “get your visa number” or not. Approval determination is made by the IO based on the totality of your case.

There’s a DV 2020 AOS Only thread in the forum reserved for those processing AOS, I recommend you post subsequent questions on that thread. Also go through past AOS threads and read about past experience from others.

By the way, you should post once, exercise some patience and wait for someone to come along and answer the question. Duplicating the post on several threads isn’t going to get you a quicker response.

Yeah, it was employment based... Other than that I don't know the details (it was a few years ago) but I really doubt they did anything wrong or 'dropped' details, just by knowing them...
I’m assuming that’s the reason they had problems them. The entire basis of that GC is to be working in a specific occupation in the US and I know there are various strings attached to that. Not applicable to family or DV based visas.

I’m assuming that’s the reason they had problems them. The entire basis of that GC is to be working in a specific occupation in the US and I know there are various strings attached to that. Not applicable to family or DV based visas.
From your experience, on DV based GC, can you get this permit for ANY reason and no questions asked?

Hi all, I got the email asking me to send the supporting documents, it is pretty clear but I have a question regarding the passport:
I have 2 passports, one from my country of changeability in Africa where I was born that I used to enter the lottery and a Canadian one, which one I have to send?
I'm asking the question because I want the visa to be on the Canadian one and I'm afraid if I send them the Canadian they will believe that my country of changeability is Canada that does not qualify to enter the lottery (the Canadian passport mentions that I was born in Africa thou)
It is ok if I send both passport?

From your experience, on DV based GC, can you get this permit for ANY reason and no questions asked?
Like I said, I’ve never heard of anyone having hassles for a reason (as opposed to say applying from overseas rather than within the US). You do have to state a reason, but it doesn’t seem in practice like this really matters.
That doesn’t change the fact that I think the person I was responding to about this, should just be moving his family to the US when they get their immigrant visas rather than trying to keep them at “home” as long as possible.

Hi all, I got the email asking me to send the supporting documents, it is pretty clear but I have a question regarding the passport:
I have 2 passports, one from my country of changeability in Africa where I was born that I used to enter the lottery and a Canadian one, which one I have to send?
I'm asking the question because I want the visa to be on the Canadian one and I'm afraid if I send them the Canadian they will believe that my country of changeability is Canada that does not qualify to enter the lottery (the Canadian passport mentions that I was born in Africa thou)
It is ok if I send both passport?

You can send both passports. However if you decide to send just the Canadian passport, it doesn’t mean KCC will assume or believe your chargeability country is Canada. They do not make the decision based on the presented passport, your birth certificate will be used in making the chargeability decision and the embassy has the final say on that, not KCC.

You can send both passports. However if you decide to send just the Canadian passport, it doesn’t mean KCC will assume or believe your chargeability country is Canada. They do not make the decision based on the presented passport, your birth certificate will be used in making the chargeability decision and the embassy has the final say on that, not KCC.
Sure, I will send both and put a note to explain why I'm sending 2 passports

Sure, I will send both and put a note to explain why I'm sending 2 passports

There are DV selectees who have never had citizenship or passports of their country of birth, just FYI, as well as a good number of dual nationality; and then there are the cross-chargeability provisions. They are quite used to seeing passports different from country of eligibility.

Reactions: WBA
Hi all,
My wife and I submitted DS-260 forms in June(~5 months ago) this year.
However, we haven't got any response from KCC regarding supporting documents and the next steps.
I did a few inquires and all that they say is that "allow a few weeks for processing".
Thus, I have a question. How long does it usually take to get an answer from them regarding supporting documents? How long did it take for you?
P.S.
Case: EU 32xxx.

There are DV selectees who have never had citizenship or passports of their country of birth, just FYI, as well as a good number of dual nationality; and then there are the cross-chargeability provisions. They are quite used to seeing passports different from country of eligibility.

I guess he didn’t quite believe my initial response, that’s why he feels he needs to include some explanatory note

Hi all,
My wife and I submitted DS-260 forms in June(~5 months ago) this year.
However, we haven't got any response from KCC regarding supporting documents and the next steps.
I did a few inquires and all that they say is that "allow a few weeks for processing".
Thus, I have a question. How long does it usually take to get an answer from them regarding supporting documents? How long did it take for you?
P.S.
Case: EU 32xxx.

Relax, you’ll receive the document request email soon. KCC is sending out the email to all selectees with the exception of those processing AOS. Receiving the email request now or sometime next month isn’t going to make any difference to when you’ll be scheduled for an interview which is going to be sometime next year by the way.

Your guessing is wrong, don't make any assumptions, I understood your response and wanted to add a note

And I’m saying the note is a complete waste of KCC’s time. But of course, it’s your case. Do whatever keeps your mind at rest.