• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Thank you for your quick response,
I mean i went to meet a lawyer and he mentioned that the package includes him doing all the documentations for me from filing to sending the docs after i provide him all the necessary documents, plus he would go along with me for the AOS interview.

I am not sure if its worth $3000 for the service, or is it a good idea to be safe thn to be sorry. since i have been following the 2019thread and alot of applicants mentioned of having to consult lawyer later.

So...you do all the work and he charges you $3k to send them and listen in on your interview? Hmm. Nice job if you can get it.

So...you do all the work and he charges you $3k to send them and listen in on your interview? Hmm. Nice job if you can get it.

Ha ha well thank you for sarcastically making fun off, here's why i asked my question here, so that i could seek some genuine suggestions from people in situation as mine. I am basically concerned in the financial part? as to do i need a sponsor or is letter from my current employer to the continuation of my employment is good? I am currently working on my CPT, will that have to do anything to my application?

Also i was paranoid since when i applied for my OPT after my Masters and sent in my docs, my file was rejected due to one error for touching the line while signing the form, so can i send in typed form or it has to be handwritten? i know its stupid but ill appreciate some good suggestions instead).

Ha ha well thank you for sarcastically making fun off, here's why i asked my question here, so that i could seek some genuine suggestions from people in situation as mine. I am basically concerned in the financial part? as to do i need a sponsor or is letter from my current employer to the continuation of my employment is good? I am currently working on my CPT, will that have to do anything to my application?

Also i was paranoid since when i applied for my OPT after my Masters and sent in my docs, my file was rejected due to one error for touching the line while signing the form, so can i send in typed form or it has to be handwritten? i know its stupid but ill appreciate some good suggestions instead).

Well, that wasn’t what you asked originally was it. Many posts about finances in the AOS threads.

By the way on your previous post you said you followed the 2019 thread and a “lot” of applicants “had to” consult a lawyer later. That’s not my recollection at all (asylum cases with their complications excepted). Can you point to some of the posts you mean?

Well, that wasn’t what you asked originally was it. Many posts about finances in the AOS threads.

By the way on your previous post you said you followed the 2019 thread and a “lot” of applicants “had to” consult a lawyer later. That’s not my recollection at all (asylum cases with their complications excepted). Can you point to some of the posts you mean?

i wrote a short note just so i could convey my simple question of confusion and so i did not ask in detail, but my questions are all part of the documentation, and this is just one of those so i explained just so you know that i am actually in need of suggestion than sarcasm.

Probably different cases with different issues, which included asylum classes too. And i have been following this sine may 2019 so i have had read quite a few cases of people seeking suggestion of delay on process due to documentation, uscis asking them about so on and so forth,

and of course you did not answers to my question, i am just in need of some answers but instead you started questioning me!!.
So do you have any suggestion for me instead ??

Did you also read all the comments from people claiming that by following Mom's spreadsheet they found compiling their documentation easy and have successfully interviewed and received a green card?
Did you again read where people have gone to lawyers only to provide them with either misinformation or information that does not relate to the DV process (most lawyers don't deal with DV)
By all means get a lawyer if it will make you feel better throwing away your money, but in all honestly I'd spend more time reviewing Moms spreadsheet and compiling your documentation, if you get stuck and need help thats where this forum can come in and assist you

Did you also read all the comments from people claiming that by following Mom's spreadsheet they found compiling their documentation easy and have successfully interviewed and received a green card?
Did you again read where people have gone to lawyers only to provide them with either misinformation or information that does not relate to the DV process (most lawyers don't deal with DV)
By all means get a lawyer if it will make you feel better throwing away your money, but in all honestly I'd spend more time reviewing Moms spreadsheet and compiling your documentation, if you get stuck and need help thats where this forum can come in and assist you

And that is the reason i am here, trying to actually get some help, sine $3000 is not joke for me ( i mean it). And i did read that people have had great help from the spreadsheet, which is why i raised the question.
The only thing i did not get was why am i getting heated responses, as if i wrote something against the page or something offensive,. And that is why i do not want to hire a lawyer too because i have followed the responses too!
I am really impressed with the way everyone who have used the page and got their AOS approved and claimed mom's suggestion and discussions to be very helpful, but certainly did not expected to be receiving such responses,

Thank you for your quick response,
I mean i went to meet a lawyer and he mentioned that the package includes him doing all the documentations for me from filing to sending the docs after i provide him all the necessary documents, plus he would go along with me for the AOS interview.

Him doing all the documentation = you gathering all the required documents and passing them over to the lawyer to basically fill out the forms, based on the documents you’ve provided, and mail out the package.

I am not sure if its worth $3000 for the service, or is it a good idea to be safe thn to be sorry. since i have been following the 2019thread and alot of applicants mentioned of having to consult lawyer later.

This is actually the other way round - a lot of the selectees on the DV2019 AOS thread (and past AOS threads) completed the process without a single consultation with an attorney talkless of actually hiring one.

And that is the reason i am here, trying to actually get some help, sine $3000 is not joke for me ( i mean it). And i did read that people have had great help from the spreadsheet, which is why i raised the question.
The only thing i did not get was why am i getting heated responses, as if i wrote something against the page or something offensive,. And that is why i do not want to hire a lawyer too because i have followed the responses too!
I am really impressed with the way everyone who have used the page and got their AOS approved and claimed mom's suggestion and discussions to be very helpful, but certainly did not expected to be receiving such responses,

Use the services of your lawyer if it puts your mind at rest though. Your case, your money, your decision at the end of the day.

Probably different cases with different issues, which included asylum classes too. And i have been following this sine may 2019 so i have had read quite a few cases of people seeking suggestion of delay on process due to documentation, uscis asking them about so on and so forth,

You’re sure you’re not mixing up the different sources you might have been reading about? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by people facing delays on process due to documentation?

I'm sorry if my comments came across harshly, I just wanted to point out that most people here are successful without the use of a lawyer and the fact that you said you have read this thread for some time now I would have thought it would be clear that lawyers can confuse things and cost a lot of money.

That said, i wish you all the best on your DV journey, should you decided to do it all yourself, I'm sure you will find pretty much everything you need here.

I'm sorry if my comments came across harshly, I just wanted to point out that most people here are successful without the use of a lawyer and the fact that you said you have read this thread for some time now I would have thought it would be clear that lawyers can confuse things and cost a lot of money.

That said, i wish you all the best on your DV journey, should you decided to do it all yourself, I'm sure you will find pretty much everything you need here.

No you are good,
I actually came and asked such question in this group, which i am hoping someone will atleast reply to because after meeting with the lawyer, i had same sense of irritation as to if i am doing everything why am i even thinking to hire one, but yet i had couple of unanswered question which i seek to get some help/suggestion from this group, but i guess i did not make my question clear enough.
I was earlier and I am still planning to do my filing by self after such encounter with that lawyer, and thank you for your best wishes ill need it.

do i need a sponsor?
If that's an option for you it's always better to have I-134, than not.
is letter from my current employer to the continuation of my employment is good?
It's one (but not only) of the documents that you can use to prove that you'll not become a public charge. You can find the full list of other documents in the AOS spreadsheet.
I am currently working on my CPT, will that have to do anything to my application?
I don't know, but IMHO it's unlikely to influence your AOS.
Can i send in typed form or it has to be handwritten?
All USCIS forms can be filled electronically and printed out.

Please number your questions in the future. It makes it easier to respond.

I personally so happy that choose to have a lawyer.
My case was complicated and I decided to consult with a lawyer and she cought something about my case that even wasn't related to AOS or asylum but about my background that I even didn't think about it and if I wasn't prepare for it by the lawyer I might lose my chance to get green card.
I had another lawyer before her and she wasn't good. She asked for $1500.
I decided to do AOS by myself and then after sending my documents I decided to get another lawyer. The second was really good and cheap.
I am not saying this to advertise her, nor I will give her contact to anyone. But she saved my case so if you think your case is complicated and if you think the lawyer knows her stuff, I suggest to hire a lawyer.
FYI, $3000 is a lot for AOS.

No you are good,
I actually came and asked such question in this group, which i am hoping someone will atleast reply to because after meeting with the lawyer, i had same sense of irritation as to if i am doing everything why am i even thinking to hire one, but yet i had couple of unanswered question which i seek to get some help/suggestion from this group, but i guess i did not make my question clear enough.
I was earlier and I am still planning to do my filing by self after such encounter with that lawyer, and thank you for your best wishes ill need it.
My suggestion is to do what I did.
Do the documentation by yourself and hire a lawyer as consultant. It wouldn't cost you that much and make your mind at peace.

I am on F1 visa as well. I made some mistake too in the beginning of the process. I was rushing. This page has really everything you need, just go over the spreadsheet. I just meet the lawyer once to go over the forms. I wanted to make sure there were no mistake. Don t waste your money. Take a look at the spreadsheet, grabs documents and forms and fill them. Wait you r number become current and that s all

If that's an option for you it's always better to have I-134, than not.

It's one (but not only) of the documents that you can use to prove that you'll not become a public charge. You can find the full list of other documents in the AOS spreadsheet.

I don't know, but IMHO it's unlikely to influence your AOS.

All USCIS forms can be filled electronically and printed out.

Please number your questions in the future. It makes it easier to respond.

Thank you so much for the detailed response,
I surely will do numerical questions moving forward since i and sure i will be needing more suggestions with filing. Thank you

My suggestion is to do what I did.
Do the documentation by yourself and hire a lawyer as consultant. It wouldn't cost you that much and make your mind at peace.

Hi Tinaina,
Thank you so much for your response, yeah it seems like lawyers in san francisco are all money oriented only, since my case is pretty clear but just needed a 2nd eye to my forms and filing, so that even by mistake i do not make a mistake since this is very time sensative, but for that i reached out to quite a few of them, everybody wants a fixed flat $3000 fee. I will probably try to find someone just to look at my docs after i have done it before sending the package once the case is current, prob Feb 2020 could be the month considering past years timeline for my case number to be current.
And please share your experience too, it will be very helpful.
Thank you

I am on F1 visa as well. I made some mistake too in the beginning of the process. I was rushing. This page has really everything you need, just go over the spreadsheet. I just meet the lawyer once to go over the forms. I wanted to make sure there were no mistake. Don t waste your money. Take a look at the spreadsheet, grabs documents and forms and fill them. Wait you r number become current and that s all

Hi Giovanna,i have actually already filled out the form and have my school to birth certificates handy, just wanted to make sure i do not make mistake, but reading to everyone's responses i am probably being lill paranoid i think, i will just relax and wait for my case to be current so that i could mail out my package along with medicals and also try to atleast find someone to have a 2nd eye on my form giving me some time instead of paying flat chunk of fee.
Also, since you are on same status as mine, did you submit an affidivat of support, i believe i do not have one so i am worried abt this, although acc to recent update we might not need it for AOS, but just making sure with people on the same boat. And do you have any idea if we submit bank stmt, how much funds might we need to show on a recurring statement?
Thank you for your suggestions.