• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hi guys I am currently on a F1 visa with OPT status, and I was selected CN: AS27XXX. Back in May I was so excited when I found out I won and submited the DS260 right away, then I totally regerd it as my number is very high.
1.) Since I submitted the form, will custom have the right to reject my entry during my F1 status? And will that affect my STEM-OPT extension?
2.) KCC has already replied to me and mention about AOS after my DS260, will that form be saved for future records or can I request and unlock edit and change it?
3.) Since my number is so high up there, do you think I will have enough time to do AOS before Sep 30th 2020 as AOS takes at least 10 months or (4 months) to process nationwise?
4.) Can you process your AOS before your number becomes current or they won't accept your case if you applied before?

Thank you so much for your time, I did not know about this discussion board until now and I feel very stupid filling out the form so quickly...I have so many questions but if you can give me your best adivses that will help me a lot!

1. Only a USC is ever guaranteed an entry or re-entry into the US by CBP. Having said that, I’m not aware of any DV selectee with a submitted DS260 who was denied an entry on that basis.

2. Yes the form is already saved as a record. You can however always request for it to be unlocked to make changes if you need to.

3. DV based AOS typically does not take 10 months to process. Review past timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of the average processing time for an applicable FO - links to timeline spreadsheets can be found on the AOS process spreadsheet which is linked to the first post on page one of this thread. Also review the pros and cons of both AOS and CP, and make an informed decision as to which process works best for you.

4. The case will either be rejected (which is not so bad) or denied after several months of being accepted (which is worse than a rejected case - you loose both money and time in this case).

I suggest you spend some time going over the AOS process spreadsheet, it will provide you with a lot more clarity than you can find elsewhere.

Hi,

I have been selected on the DV lottery with CN#2020AS000094XX.
Currently, I'm on an F1 visa and my spouse is also on F1 visa.
I have been reading the spreadsheet and saw that the interview process takes up to 4 months from the time we become current.

Based on my understanding (which I hope is wrong) if you file a DS-260 and I-485 and get rejected you have to leave the country.
So my question is that with a CN number this high would it be a risk to proceed with the application?
I don't think you have a high case number. Relax and proceed with your process.

Hi guys, I would like to ask for your opinion. My husband is the primary applicant. He graduated from a high school in Peru, which include primary school (5 years) and secondary school (5 years). At the end of his studies he obtained a certificate with grades for the secondary school. However, it does not say directly “completed secondary school”. Now he has also obtained from his school a certificate, stating the he was studying in the primary school for 5 years and in the secondary school for 5 years during the certian period of time. Do you think this will be sufficient? He also has a foreign Bachelor’s degree and the Master’s degree from the U.S.

Hi All!
Just a clarification needed here - do I understand it right that, if a person has applied for DV in October 2018 (at that time, of course not knowing if they become a selectee or not) and received a J1 visa (no 2 year return to home country rule applied in their case) any time before May 2019 when they found out they are selected, and came to the US on J1 before being selected- they are technically fine with this:
Coming to the US on a NIV with a preconceived intent of filing AOS is frowned up, it is considered a fraudulent misuse of the NIV.

Hi guys, I would like to ask for your opinion. My husband is the primary applicant. He graduated from a high school in Peru, which include primary school (5 years) and secondary school (5 years). At the end of his studies he obtained a certificate with grades for the secondary school. However, it does not say directly “completed secondary school”. Now he has also obtained from his school a certificate, stating the he was studying in the primary school for 5 years and in the secondary school for 5 years during the certian period of time. Do you think this will be sufficient? He also has a foreign Bachelor’s degree and the Master’s degree from the U.S.

Shouldn’t be an issue.

Hi All!
Just a clarification needed here - do I understand it right that, if a person has applied for DV in October 2018 (at that time, of course not knowing if they become a selectee or not) and received a J1 visa (no 2 year return to home country rule applied in their case) any time before May 2019 when they found out they are selected, and came to the US on J1 before being selected- they are technically fine with this:

That statement is not applicable if you were already in the US on a NIV before finding out you’re a DV selectee.

Hey! Does anyone here have experience going from an E3 to a green card of the DV?

There are selectees on E3 who have successfully processed their selection and gone from E3 status to LPR. Take a look at the timeline spreadsheets (both present and past) for a list of such selectees. Timeline spreadsheets links can be found on the AOS process spreadsheet spreadsheet which is linked to the first post on page one of this thread.

And follow up question!

What happens if you wanted to change jobs or lost your job after applying for AOS?

Thanks!

It means you’ll have no fall back status if your AOS petition gets rejected or denied for some reason. Maintaining current status is highly advisable while the AOS petition is pending.

It means you’ll have no fall back status if your AOS petition gets rejected or denied for some reason. Maintaining current status is highly advisable while the AOS petition is pending.

Thanks! I looked at the timelines - was just hoping to chat to someone.

How about same visa / different job? Just want to cover my bases here! Really just thinking that with such a high number (OS17**) that it may just be worth leaving it!

How about same visa / different job? Just want to cover my bases here! Really just thinking that with such a high number (OS17**) that it may just be worth leaving it!

The only way to cover your bases is to ensure you’re maintaining whatever status you were in prior to AOS filing like I already said.

Before you decide to leave it or not...

take a look at the volume selected for DV 2020 against the volume for DV2019. It's lower. DV2019 went current almost entirely a few months ago. Your number doesn't mean there are that many people behind you. It's been discussed here quite a lot in other threads.

Before you decide to leave it or not...

take a look at the volume selected for DV 2020 against the volume for DV2019. It's lower. DV2019 went current almost entirely a few months ago. Your number doesn't mean there are that many people behind you. It's been discussed here quite a lot in other threads.

Thank you!

Yes - the threads are stressing me out a LOT to be honest - seems to be a lot of conflicting thoughts and then I know people IRL that have put in the DS260 and then not been able to continue. With the E3 opportunity specific to Aussies, it's an extra spanner in the works because that makes it pretty easy for me to stay here as long as I don't show migrant intent...

Just a quick question to all, are you all using a lawyer's help for the documentations? or m i the only one being paranoid? I am F1 student here.

Just a quick question to all, are you all using a lawyer's help for the documentations? or m i the only one being paranoid? I am F1 student here.

Using a lawyer’s help for documentation??? Or you mean using a lawyer to fill out the forms (and subsequently send in the package)since you still have to actually gather all the applicable documents and submit them to the lawyer?

Using a lawyer’s help for documentation??? Or you mean using a lawyer to fill out the forms (and subsequently send in the package)since you still have to actually gather all the applicable documents and submit them to the lawyer?

Thank you for your quick response,
I mean i went to meet a lawyer and he mentioned that the package includes him doing all the documentations for me from filing to sending the docs after i provide him all the necessary documents, plus he would go along with me for the AOS interview.

I am not sure if its worth $3000 for the service, or is it a good idea to be safe thn to be sorry. since i have been following the 2019thread and alot of applicants mentioned of having to consult lawyer later.