N400 2019-2020 Asylee Tracker

7of9

I'm about 362 days away from filling my asylee based N400. Thought I would start this tracker, uniquely tailored for us asylees. I will be sharing my experiences from preparation for filling to the 'passport in hand' stage. Sweeter if I can complete the journey before the 2020 elections so I can vote!

Feel free to share your N400 journey here too. Wishing everyone on any stage good luck!

I'm about 362 days away from filling my asylee based N400. Thought I would start this tracker, uniquely tailored for us asylees. I will be sharing my experiences from preparation for filling to the 'passport in hand' stage. Sweeter if I can complete the journey before the 2020 elections so I can vote!

Feel free to share your N400 journey here too. Wishing everyone on any stage good luck!
I really admire your patient. Hope you can vote in 2020.

Thank you guys. @Asylum seeker, definitely I will be sharing the many twists and turns of my journey on this page.

@john2019 , yep, lots of patience required to go through all these processes: Asylee (26 months wait!) = GC (23 months! wait = US Citizen...dont know how long this will be. I suppose if I waited 26 months + 23 months for the first two processes, I will take anything below those wait times.

Hey I’m so happy someone started this tracker. I’m eligible to apply 1/2/2020 so I can’t wait myself. My wife is in the military and just got here.

I have a question, are you adjusting based on 3 years marriage or a backdated Asylee process?

Doing nothing much really. 227 days left until i'm allowed to turn in my application (started the countdown when 1000 days were left, back in 2016). Anyway, I figure I will start putting my documents together when I'm 4 months out (120 days left). Will update this thread as I go through the steps. Hope all of you getting asylum approvals now will be able to use this thread five years from now when you apply for your citizenship...:)

Doing nothing much really. 227 days left until i'm allowed to turn in my application (started the countdown when 1000 days were left, back in 2016). Anyway, I figure I will start putting my documents together when I'm 4 months out (120 days left). Will update this thread as I go through the steps. Hope all of you getting asylum approvals now will be able to use this thread five years from now when you apply for your citizenship...:)
Appreciate your help to all members !!

I am 192 days away, I posted initially in this thread before. My friend took 4 months from filing to swearing but I’m guessing it’s where he lives, in Tampa. I’m in NYC, the processing time here is about 13 months so that sucks. I was thinking of moving to Tampa for a few months just for that lol.

I am 192 days away, I posted initially in this thread before. My friend took 4 months from filing to swearing but I’m guessing it’s where he lives, in Tampa. I’m in NYC, the processing time here is about 13 months so that sucks. I was thinking of moving to Tampa for a few months just for that lol.
Yeah, some cases move pretty fast. But looking at my track record, I doubt that mine will be done in four months, even if I was the only one applying for naturalization this year in the whole country!!:(:)! My applications always get delayed...for no reason at all. Take my green card application: My green card application was slum dunk...no issues, but the Chicago office sat on that application for 23 months, doing nothing with it. Absolutely nothing. Not hopeful, i'm budgeting 9+ months for the completion of my naturalization process.

Last edited:
Now that you said that, I have to agree. My GC didn’t take that long but my God, what I went through to get an RTD, I chose not to apply for another one. I probably have some post on here about it, had to go through ombudsman, call, every single thing I can think of. Officially, I can apply 1/12020 but considering that’s a holiday, I plan to 12/29/2019 so hopefully it’ll get there by then.

Last year January, while driving in MO, was stopped for speeding! 9 miles above the speed limit. $122 fine. So, the citation, including it with my n-400 application. Excited, I got the certified copies of the citation + disposition of the case today. This is the only citation worthy of mention in my application, I was afraid I would face delays getting the paperwork from MO when i'm living here in MA now.

This is just one of the many documents that I'm putting together bit by bit as I prepare to submit my application 205 days from now. The citation is the only document that was going to be tricky to get + my IRS transcript.

I usually submit my tax returns last week of Jan each year, so I don't know if the IRS will have my complete tax transcript (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 tax returns) when I try to submit the application Feb 3rd, 2020. The 2019 tax return transcript is the ones they might not have. Thinking I can just submit my tax return print-out (the one I will file the last week of Jan 2020). I guess I can always ask for a whole transcript in April/June and bring it to the interview.

Anyway, the wait continues.

Last edited:
I have gotten a few tickets the past few years in Westchester NY, The Bronx and Queens in NYC, Florida, and twice in Virginia. I dealt with all those, I’m wondering if they will be issues. Also, anyone thinking of filing online or you all doing it the old fashion, submitting through the mail? I am really considering online.

I have gotten a few tickets the past few years in Westchester NY, The Bronx and Queens in NYC, Florida, and twice in Virginia. I dealt with all those, I’m wondering if they will be issues. Also, anyone thinking of filing online or you all doing it the old fashion, submitting through the mail? I am really considering online.
If you are live in Westchester you have to expect that might take more than 1-2 years for n-400 because you case will be in Manhattan office

If you are live in Westchester you have to expect that might take more than 1-2 years for n-400 because you case will be in Manhattan office
I have been thinking about that. My friend in Florida took exactly 4 months, Tampa to be exact. My address is basically both Virginia and NYC so I will be using Va. unfortunately that night still take a year. I may need to move to Tampa for the rest of the time lol.

The period that you are asylee is counted toward the time 5 years that you have to wait until you are eligible to apply for US passport. why are you applying in Feb 2020 then? You can apply even now ...

The period that you are asylee is counted toward the time 5 years that you have to wait until you are eligible to apply for US passport. why are you applying in Feb 2020 then? You can apply even now ...
Wish that was the case :). My GC was approved May 3rd, 2016. Backdated to May 2nd, 2015. Eitherway, you still have to wait 4 yrs after approval. The back dated year added to that comes to 5 years. So, 4 years - 90 days from May 3rd, 2016 = Feb 2nd, 2020. There is no going around this. I have already spent 28 months + 22 months waiting at various stages, plus years of delaying my application, so essentially, since 2006, I have been waiting in one shape or another. The 1000 days waiting to apply for citizenship, just another wait. Another wait coming after turning in the n400 application.

Wish that was the case :). My GC was approved May 3rd, 2016. Backdated to May 2nd, 2015. Eitherway, you still have to wait 4 yrs after approval. The back dated year added to that comes to 5 years. So, 4 years - 90 days from May 3rd, 2016 = Feb 2nd, 2020. There is no going around this. I have already spent 28 months + 22 months waiting at various stages, plus years of delaying my application, so essentially, since 2006, I have been waiting in one shape or another. The 1000 days waiting to apply for citizenship, just another wait. Another wait coming after turning in the n400 application.

Oh wow we have very similar timelines