• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hi all,

I just received my requested Tax Return Transcript from the IRS - all details are correct except my last name, which is the only name shown on the document (along with my physical address). It only shows the first 4 letters of my 5 letter surname (they left out the last letter). Is this common? To me it looks like an error but the form does state that the IRS transcripts are modified showing only partial personal information to protect taxpayers' privacy. Curious if this is purely an error on their behalf or whether it's normal for the IRS to do this? Similar to how my SSN only shows my last 4 digits. Anyone else encountered this issue?

If it is an issue, should I request another? Or should I just include this and my Tax Return itself. My case number just became current (Feb 1) and I was hoping to file next week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi all,

I just received my requested Tax Return Transcript from the IRS - all details are correct except my last name, which is the only name shown on the document (along with my physical address). It only shows the first 4 letters of my 5 letter surname (they left out the last letter). Is this common? To me it looks like an error but the form does state that the IRS transcripts are modified showing only partial personal information to protect taxpayers' privacy. Curious if this is purely an error on their behalf or whether it's normal for the IRS to do this? Similar to how my SSN only shows my last 4 digits. Anyone else encountered this issue?

If it is an issue, should I request another? Or should I just include this and my Tax Return itself. My case number just became current (Feb 1) and I was hoping to file next week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi all,

After doing some more research, I actually found the answer to my own question. I'm adding the information from the IRS website to help anyone else who may have or encounter the same concerns.

A new transcript format is now in place to better protect your information from identity theft. This new transcript partially masks the personally identifiable information of everyone listed on the tax return. All financial entries will remain fully visible to assist with tax preparation, tax representation and income verification.
_ _ _

The IRS is taking this action to better protect taxpayer data. Because of data thefts outside the tax system, cybercriminals often attempt to impersonate taxpayers and tax professionals. Thieves attempt to gain access to transcript data, which can help them file fraudulent tax returns or steal additional data of other individuals listed on the transcript.

Here’s what is visible on the new tax transcript:

• Last four digits of any SSN listed on the transcript: XXX-XX-1234
  • Last four digits of any EIN listed on the transcript: XX-XXX1234
  • Last four digits of any account or telephone number
  • First four characters of the last name for any individual (first three characters if the last name has only four letters)
  • First four characters of a business name
  • First six characters of the street address, including spaces
  • All money amounts, including wage and income, balance due, interest and penalties
_ _ _

:)

Hi, I finally got my interview appointment but my wife's name is not in the letter. Are they going to summon her separately or is this just for both of us? I am a little confused. Is this normal?

Hi, I finally got my interview appointment but my wife's name is not in the letter. Are they going to summon her separately or is this just for both of us? I am a little confused. Is this normal?

Do you both live together and have the same address listed on your I-485? If yes, and your wife isn’t listed on your IL as your derivative, it means your wife’s IL will show up in the next couple of days.

Hi Mom!

First of all, thank you tons for putting together such a great guidance package! it is amazing! but i still have a number questions:

1. I am aiming to submit my AOS package on Feb 15 but planning to leave country on March 1. I am currently on H-1B visa. Can I travel before receiving the notice of Action (NOA) from USCIS?
  2. Doubts on form I-485: Part 2. Application Type or Filing Category. Question 2 (pp3) Are you applying for adjustment based on Immigration and Nationality Act (NIA) section 245(i)?
  3. Doubts on form I-485: Part 2. Application Type or Filing Category. Question 3 (pp4) Receipt number of Underlying Petition and Priority Date of Underlying Petition?
  4. Doubts on form I-765: Question 27. What is my eligibility criteria?
  5. Doubts on form I-131: Part 3. Processing Information. Q1, Q2 Date of intended departure and expected length of trip. I don’t have any specific trip in mind but I travel a lot abroad for work.
  6. Doubts on form I-131: Part 4. Information About Your Proposed Travel. Same story as in q5.
  7. Doubts on form I-131: Part 7. Complete Only if Applying for Advance Parole. Explain how you qualify for an Advance Parole Document. What should I write?
  8. Form I-797 Notice of Action – Indicating Current Visa. I am currently on H-1B and don’t remember receiving any notices from USCIS. And I haven’t submitted my AOS package yet. Though my employer has already filed on my behalf an application for employment based green card. Should I have Form I-797 Notice of Action?
  9. Educational degrees: I have a PhD diploma from the University of Pennsylvania, do I still need to provide high school certificates and any other degrees I received outside the US?

Thank you in advance!
Tetiana

Hi Mom!

First of all, thank you tons for putting together such a great guidance package! it is amazing! but i still have a number questions:

1. I am aiming to submit my AOS package on Feb 15 but planning to leave country on March 1. I am currently on H-1B visa. Can I travel before receiving the notice of Action (NOA) from USCIS?
  2. Doubts on form I-485: Part 2. Application Type or Filing Category. Question 2 (pp3) Are you applying for adjustment based on Immigration and Nationality Act (NIA) section 245(i)?
  3. Doubts on form I-485: Part 2. Application Type or Filing Category. Question 3 (pp4) Receipt number of Underlying Petition and Priority Date of Underlying Petition?
  4. Doubts on form I-765: Question 27. What is my eligibility criteria?
  5. Doubts on form I-131: Part 3. Processing Information. Q1, Q2 Date of intended departure and expected length of trip. I don’t have any specific trip in mind but I travel a lot abroad for work.
  6. Doubts on form I-131: Part 4. Information About Your Proposed Travel. Same story as in q5.
  7. Doubts on form I-131: Part 7. Complete Only if Applying for Advance Parole. Explain how you qualify for an Advance Parole Document. What should I write?
  8. Form I-797 Notice of Action – Indicating Current Visa. I am currently on H-1B and don’t remember receiving any notices from USCIS. And I haven’t submitted my AOS package yet. Though my employer has already filed on my behalf an application for employment based green card. Should I have Form I-797 Notice of Action?
  9. Educational degrees: I have a PhD diploma from the University of Pennsylvania, do I still need to provide high school certificates and any other degrees I received outside the US?

Thank you in advance!
Tetiana

1. Yes you can. Just bear in mind, admission or re-admission into the US is never guaranteed except for a USC.
2. Answer “NO”.
3. Not applicable - leave it blank.
4. C9
5. Indicate currently unknown or to be determined.
6. See 5 above.
7. Write a short note explaining why you need the AP - do yourself a world of good by going through the Instruction Form first though.
8. You should have a NOA if you already have a pending AOS petition with USCIS - ask your employer about the NOA.
9. There are reports some IOs have specifically asked for the HS Diploma to be presented.

Considering the fact that you’re in the US on a H-1B which is a dual intent visa, I’m struggling to understand your need to apply for an EAD/AP card? Are you even aware of the consequences associated with either of those? I recommend you go through the AOS process spreadsheet for additional information on using an EAD or AP with a pending AOS petition, in additional to going over the link to the instruction form I provided above.

Hi, I had a question about the interview. Assume you are from a country with mandatory military service and you haven't done military service yet. (Because you are still a student in US, so you are supposed to return to your country after finishing your studies and do your service.). Do they ask for any documentation to prove that you haven't done the military service?

1. Yes having multiple immigration petitions in the system is allowed, she should proceed with processing/filing the DV selection.

2. No problem with that.

3. Yes.

Hi Mom, thanks for all your help. Based on the above we are about to file our DV-based I-485 and I have a question regarding biometrics. As mentioned I have EB3 I-140 approved and corresponding I-485 pending. We also had our bio done end of Dec 2018. Now with the second I-485 package should I mention we had the bio completed already? Perhaps send two separate checks $1,140 and $85 for each adult and attach some kind of explanation letter? Or just file "as usual"? Just wanted to make sure there is no confusion with the second process. I believe someone mentioned before getting an interview letter with "bio not required" note in similar case if I'm not mistaken. The second AOS application will use the same Alien numbers from the first process.

Hi, I had a question about the interview. Assume you are from a country with mandatory military service and you haven't done military service yet. (Because you are still a student in US, so you are supposed to return to your country after finishing your studies and do your service.). Do they ask for any documentation to prove that you haven't done the military service?

No. Even if they ask, just truthfully answer the question.

Hi Mom, thanks for all your help. Based on the above we are about to file our DV-based I-485 and I have a question regarding biometrics. As mentioned I have EB3 I-140 approved and corresponding I-485 pending. We also had our bio done end of Dec 2018. Now with the second I-485 package should I mention we had the bio completed already? Perhaps send two separate checks $1,140 and $85 for each adult and attach some kind of explanation letter? Or just file "as usual"? Just wanted to make sure there is no confusion with the second process. I believe someone mentioned before getting an interview letter with "bio not required" note in similar case if I'm not mistaken. The second AOS application will use the same Alien numbers from the first process.

Include the full payment or the Chicago Lockbox will reject your package as incomplete. The NBC, handles the bio part of the process. They will make the determination after receiving your forms from the Chicago Lockbox whether or not you need to go in for another bio appointment.

Hey Everyone! I hope everyone is well and that all your AOS packages are coming along nicely.

I just had my interview today, and low and behold, it was approved in the room at the end of the interview. YAY!

It was a fairly low key interview (even though I was shockingly nervous) at the Los Angeles Office, and the interviewer was a very nice guy. After providing my original documents - Birth Cert, Passport (Expired and Current), and the KCC payment print out, and my original Bachelors and Masters Degree - All went very quickly.

Do note that - He made a small issue out of the KCC payment receipt, because KCC emailed the documents back to me, not mailed, so it was not the original. But if you are in the same boat as me, just politely advise your interviewer that this has become pretty standard practice now. He seemed to understand that this was the case.

Also - I was so glad that I had my parents international mail me both my Actual (A3 paper) original Degrees. I almost did not do it, for fear of damaging the important documents, but he said it was good that I did. I had them in a smallish poster roll, and it was fine. (just make sure you advise security what it is before they ask, so they don't think it is something other than a poster package with paperwork in it. :)

The interviewer asked a few questions about my current employment, and made sure I was at the same address, then he just went through all the yes/no questions on the I-485. After that, we had a little chat and laugh about how his office was full of paper work, stack upon stack, and then he said he would just do some quick work on his PC. After that, he came back with a print out of the congratulations letter and advised me I was approved and I should receive my GC in the mail soon.

In the end it was a very nice interview. All I can say is be polite, respectful, sincere, humble, pay attention and make eye contact, and your interviewer will likely give you the same respect and care (oh, and of course, have all your original documents and a full copy of your submitted package on hand). Ultimately, the interviewers are simply people like everyone, and are hard-working government officials, and they tend to do this work because they truly care about what they are doing, and making a difference for people. So as long as you give them no reason to question your application through silly mistakes, arrogance, or insincerity, they will meet you half way. :)

I wanna send out a massive shout out and thank your to Sm1smom and the rest of the awesome team that contribute and moderate this group and the connecting AOS Website & Spreadsheet. I could not have done this with out you guys, and I deeply thank you. This is an incredible resource and it is so selfless of you all to provide your knowledge and time. Please let me/us know if there is anything we can do to support your efforts in the future.

...some of my interviewer's final comments were - "Did you put this whole package together yourself?"I said "Yes, but with the help of a wonderful online forum and community."He followed with "Well you did a great job. This is the best prepared DV Adjustment of Status application I have seen."

I cannot think of better praise for all this combined hard work - So Kudos to you guys and thanks again. :)

Hey Everyone! I hope everyone is well and that all your AOS packages are coming along nicely.

I just had my interview today, and low and behold, it was approved in the room at the end of the interview. YAY!

It was a fairly low key interview (even though I was shockingly nervous) at the Los Angeles Office, and the interviewer was a very nice guy. After providing my original documents - Birth Cert, Passport (Expired and Current), and the KCC payment print out, and my original Bachelors and Masters Degree - All went very quickly.

Do note that - He made a small issue out of the KCC payment receipt, because KCC emailed the documents back to me, not mailed, so it was not the original. But if you are in the same boat as me, just politely advise your interviewer that this has become pretty standard practice now. He seemed to understand that this was the case.

Also - I was so glad that I had my parents international mail me both my Actual (A3 paper) original Degrees. I almost did not do it, for fear of damaging the important documents, but he said it was good that I did. I had them in a smallish poster roll, and it was fine. (just make sure you advise security what it is before they ask, so they don't think it is something other than a poster package with paperwork in it. :)

The interviewer asked a few questions about my current employment, and made sure I was at the same address, then he just went through all the yes/no questions on the I-485. After that, we had a little chat and laugh about how his office was full of paper work, stack upon stack, and then he said he would just do some quick work on his PC. After that, he came back with a print out of the congratulations letter and advised me I was approved and I should receive my GC in the mail soon.

In the end it was a very nice interview. All I can say is be polite, respectful, sincere, humble, pay attention and make eye contact, and your interviewer will likely give you the same respect and care (oh, and of course, have all your original documents and a full copy of your submitted package on hand). Ultimately, the interviewers are simply people like everyone, and are hard-working government officials, and they tend to do this work because they truly care about what they are doing, and making a difference for people. So as long as you give them no reason to question your application through silly mistakes, arrogance, or insincerity, they will meet you half way. :)

I wanna send out a massive shout out and thank your to Sm1smom and the rest of the awesome team that contribute and moderate this group and the connecting AOS Website & Spreadsheet. I could not have done this with out you guys, and I deeply thank you. This is an incredible resource and it is so selfless of you all to provide your knowledge and time. Please let me/us know if there is anything we can do to support your efforts in the future.

...some of my interviewer's final comments were - "Did you put this whole package together yourself?"I said "Yes, but with the help of a wonderful online forum and community."He followed with "Well you did a great job. This is the best prepared DV Adjustment of Status application I have seen."

I cannot think of better praise for all this combined hard work - So Kudos to you guys and thanks again. :)

That is such great news. Congratulations. You got an approval letter immediately! So awesome.

Hi mom, After my withdrawal letter for early filed package, today i received a letter from USCIS. Stating to come to field office on feb 26 th. What do you think about this letter? Any specific questions to ask them ?

Congratulations and thank you for the detailed interview experience, including the IO’s comments about your package. Wish I could pin your post up and refer those skeptical about the AOS spreadsheet to it everytime they challenge it. Of course I’m not saying everyone who followed the spreadsheet will have an exact interview experience as yours, it however clearly shows what an impact a front-loaded, well prepared package can have.

Congratulations once again.

Hi mom, After my withdrawal letter for early filed package, today i received a letter from USCIS. Stating to come to field office on feb 26 th. What do you think about this letter? Any specific questions to ask them ?

I have no idea why they’ve asked you to come in. They scheduled the appointment to see you, so THEY will be doing the asking.

Hey mom, all,
I just received the KCC payment receipt, Which is just a stamp says “Paid” on the information letter I sent with the money order!

So my question is this is the Kcc payment receipt or I should receive something else?

Hey mom, all,
I just received the KCC payment receipt, Which is just a stamp says “Paid” on the information letter I sent with the money order!

So my question is this is the Kcc payment receipt or I should receive something else?

That IS the payment receipt.

Congratulations and thank you for the detailed interview experience, including the IO’s comments about your package. Wish I could pin your post up and refer those skeptical about the AOS spreadsheet to it everytime they challenge it. Of course I’m not saying everyone who followed the spreadsheet will have an exact interview experience as yours, it however clearly shows what an impact a front-loaded, well prepared package can have.

Congratulations once again.

I wish you could too.
Absolutely, like you said ‘a frontloaded package’ is key to ease and success. You guys constantly update it too, which i find so selfless and phenomenal.

I cannot stress enough how you, yourself helped me, and how this community at large did also. Thank you Sm1smom.
The unfortunate truth is (i guess) is there will always be outliers, but i can say whole heartedly, that if you follow this process laid out by this spreadsheet, forum and pages, that you will most likely succeed. Much more likely than any other way I can possibly imagine.

It is a damn hard process, and you need guided assistance. If you are fool enough to not listen to the plethora of knowledge on these pages, you don’t deserve to, succeed in you AOS.

I cannot speak highly enough!

Thanks again. X

Include the full payment or the Chicago Lockbox will reject your package as incomplete. The NBC, handles the bio part of the process. They will make the determination after receiving your forms from the Chicago Lockbox whether or not you need to go in for another bio appointment.

Thanks! This makes perfect sense.
One more question regarding the AOS package... The doc list indicates I-797 form and I have two of them - one original I-797B as my current H1B approval notice from 2017 and another I-797 as approval of my recent I-140 petition. Which one(s) should I include in our AOS package? I believe with EB3-based I-485 pending my status is still H1B so only the first I-797B should be included but wanted to confirm.