• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hi mom:

I have an awkward question about AOS package cover letter. Below text is part of the cover letter sample, I think the red color date is the date from USCIS Visa Bulletin page. Like my C/N is 2019AS2XXX (current in Dec 2018), the red color date is December 2018. Yet, I don't know what is the blue color date?? Could you help me to find it?? Thank you!!

My package is being submitted on the basis of the Diversity Visa cut off number listed on the Advanced Notification section of the December 2018 (use your applicable month/year in place of the August date sample) Visa Bulletin, the priority date for my case number is July 1st, 2015.

Hello all,

I need your helpful thoughts. That being said, it may not be related to the subject of our discussion.

I live in university dorm. where i have seen that mails get misplaced in our mailbox by help desk/university staff.
i wanted to know your opinion in this matter, if this is a good idea to rent a PO BOX from USPS in postal office.
it seems i can change my postal address to this PO BOX address which is in Postal office location without telling KCC or USCIS that i am gonna change my address and i can manage it online.

For instance, when i am filling i485 form, i still can mention my dorm address in that form, and receive any mail/envelope in my PO BOX address!

With this option, i can have a peace of mind because my receiving mails are not gonna get misplaced with other students.

Shed some light in this matter please.

Yes you can rent an use a P.O.Box for the mailing address section of your form - just make sure you also complete the physical/residential address and it matches up with where you actually reside.

Hi mom:

I have an awkward question about AOS package cover letter. Below text is part of the cover letter sample, I think the red color date is the date from USCIS Visa Bulletin page. Like my C/N is 2019AS2XXX (current in Dec 2018), the red color date is December 2018. Yet, I don't know what is the blue color date?? Could you help me to find it?? Thank you!!

My package is being submitted on the basis of the Diversity Visa cut off number listed on the Advanced Notification section of the December 2018 (use your applicable month/year in place of the August date sample) Visa Bulletin, the priority date for my case number is July 1st, 2015.

Advance Notification section of the November 2018 Visa Bulletin. (December 2018 VB is not yet released).

Priority date is December 1st 2018.

Yes you can rent an use a P.O.Box for the mailing address section of your form - just make sure you also complete the physical/residential address and it matches up with where you actually reside.

I realized that i can ask to change my address with USPS. the new address can be a PO BOX address in USPS that i am gonna rent. From what i have understood, there is no need to write my PO BOX address in any paper work that i am gonna go through for AOS. I should write my university dorm address (as i gave this address to them before) till hopefully get my Green Card. But, if i like to receive any mail/envelope in a PO BOX address, i should rent a PO BOX. Then, any mail/envelope will go to my PO BOX address and i can go postal office and pick them up.

For i485 form, there is only one section for US mailing address. Based on what i mentioned above, If i gonna rent a PO BOX from USPS, i can write my dorm address in this section and have my mail to my PO BOX address. Is that correct?

Hi Mom! I have read google doc you provided regarding supporting documents and posts on this forum, but I have a few questions please:

1) I'm here on L1 visa and my wife and kid on are on L2. In excel document it is said that if applicable I need to provide I-797 form. I have I-797 with case type "I129 Petition For a Nonimmigrant worker". Should I add this I-797 to the package. If yes do I also need to attach it to my wife's and kid's packages (as doc says)? Secondly, do I need to attach form I-129S (Nonimmigrant petition based on blanket L petition) or it is not required?
2) Do I need to request employment letter right before sending package or it can be requested earlier. I requested letter on 5 Nov, but plan to send package in end of November / start of December. The same question about I-94 - should it be downloaded right before sending package or I can download it earlier.
3) I have a question regarding this early filling memo. As I understand this memo says that it is allowed to send AOS package 2 months in advance. However it's not advised to do so as there is a risk that FO will not accept it. But if my date is current in December is it safe to send AOS in November or it is still a risky?
4) What name should I put in G-1145 of my wife's package - mine or hers. This question might seem stupid, but what confuses me is
"Applicant/Petitioner Full Last Name" and "Applicant/Petitioner Full First Name". I'm DV winner then I assume I should write my name, right?
5) This new 2-months rule about medical exam has caught me also. I did my exam at the beginning of October. As I understand date of acceptance of AOS package is not the date when I sent it, but the date when USCIS actually starts reviewing it. So if for example I send package in November, but my date is current in December - is there a risk that my medical exam will be considered invalid? For example if USCIS decides to review my AOS package in mid December my medical exam will be considered expired because doctor's signature will be older than 2 months.

Thank you for help, Mom!

I realized that i can ask to change my address with USPS. the new address can be a PO BOX address in USPS that i am gonna rent. From what i have understood, there is no need to write my PO BOX address in any paper work that i am gonna go through for AOS. I should write my university dorm address (as i gave this address to them before) till hopefully get my Green Card. But, if i like to receive any mail/envelope in a PO BOX address, i should rent a PO BOX. Then, any mail/envelope will go to my PO BOX address and i can go postal office and pick them up.

For i485 form, there is only one section for US mailing address. Based on what i mentioned above, If i gonna rent a PO BOX from USPS, i can write my dorm address in this section and have my mail to my PO BOX address. Is that correct?

I find your post rather confusing, I don’t understand what you’re trying to say, but here’s what I can suggest below:

You have two options:
Option 1:
Part 1
Section 13a (U.S. mailing address) - provide dorm address
Section 14a (Alternative and/or safe U.S. mailing address) - list P.O.Box address
Part 2 (from section 5) - physical address history for the past 5 years - start with current dorm address.

Option 2:
Part 1:
Section 13a (US mailing address) - provide P.O.Box address
Section 14a (Alternative and/or safe U.S. mailing address) - N/A
Part 2 (from section 5) - physical address history for the past 5 years - start with current dorm address.

Hi Mom! I have read google doc you provided regarding supporting documents and posts on this forum, but I have a few questions please:

1) I'm here on L1 visa and my wife and kid on are on L2. In excel document it is said that if applicable I need to provide I-797 form. I have I-797 with case type "I129 Petition For a Nonimmigrant worker". Should I add this I-797 to the package. If yes do I also need to attach it to my wife's and kid's packages (as doc says)? Secondly, do I need to attach form I-129S (Nonimmigrant petition based on blanket L petition) or it is not required?
2) Do I need to request employment letter right before sending package or it can be requested earlier. I requested letter on 5 Nov, but plan to send package in end of November / start of December. The same question about I-94 - should it be downloaded right before sending package or I can download it earlier.
3) I have a question regarding this early filling memo. As I understand this memo says that it is allowed to send AOS package 2 months in advance. However it's not advised to do so as there is a risk that FO will not accept it. But if my date is current in December is it safe to send AOS in November or it is still a risky?
4) What name should I put in G-1145 of my wife's package - mine or hers. This question might seem stupid, but what confuses me is
"Applicant/Petitioner Full Last Name" and "Applicant/Petitioner Full First Name". I'm DV winner then I assume I should write my name, right?
5) This new 2-months rule about medical exam has caught me also. I did my exam at the beginning of October. As I understand date of acceptance of AOS package is not the date when I sent it, but the date when USCIS actually starts reviewing it. So if for example I send package in November, but my date is current in December - is there a risk that my medical exam will be considered invalid? For example if USCIS decides to review my AOS package in mid December my medical exam will be considered expired because doctor's signature will be older than 2 months.

Thank you for help, Mom!

1. Yes for yourself, no for wife and kids. No for I-129S

2. The current employment letter is fine. When you download the I-94 is irrelevant as long as it contains information about your last entry to the US.

3. As long as the AOS package is received before the first day of the month in which the CN becomes current, there’s always the slight possibility of the petition being wrongly rejected/denied as filed early. You’ll have to make the call on your own wether you want to take advantage of the early filing memo or send in your package at the end of November in order for it to be received on December 1st or there after.

4. Each package should have the G-1145 with each person’s name listed. You’re not petitioning your wife or kid, they are self petitioners like you. Only difference is you are self petitioning as a DV selectee, your wife and kid are self petitioning as your derivatives.

5. The acceptance date, not the review date, is what will be used to determine if the medical report is valid or not. Acceptance date is usually within two to three weeks or so (sometimes less) of when the package got delivered at the Chicago Lockbox.

There's been a slight change in how USCIS treats validity period of I-693 (medical exam). Relevant part for AOSers:

A Form I-693 is valid only when a civil surgeon signs it no more than 60 days before the date an applicant files the application for the underlying immigration benefit; and USCIS adjudicates the application within 2 years from the date of the civil surgeon’s signature.

Before, you had one year instead of 60 days to file, but form was valid only for 1 year from the date of filing. Bottom line: don't do your medical too early.

[1] https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis-policy-manual-update
[2] https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/Updates/20181016-I-693Validity.pdf

Thanks for the information, My question is how long does it take usually take to receive the full medical from the time when I visit the civil surgeon? is it a matter of days or weeks or months? Thanks

Thank you Mom for detailed answers!

Just want to clarify point 4: even if my daughter is 5 years old, which means she is not self-sustained yet - I still need to write down her name, right?

Thanks for the information, My question is how long does it take usually take to receive the full medical from the time when I visit the civil surgeon? is it a matter of days or weeks or months? Thanks

Hi guitarek!

Based on my experience it takes 1-2 week to complete medical exam (for a family of 3 in my case). Usually your kid should have everything done already, because all shots and tests should be done before he goes to school. As for you and your wife - you can do all tests and shots within one or two visits and then wait for 1-2 weeks. But don't take it as a rule!

Most people complete the medical exam and receive their medical report within a week.

Thank you Mom for detailed answers!

Just want to clarify point 4: even if my daughter is 5 years old, which means she is not self-sustained yet - I still need to write down her name, right?

Is your daughter submitting an I-485 petition for permanent residency or not? Or you weren’t planning on submitting a separate package for her?

Is your daughter submitting an I-485 petition for permanent residency or not? Or you weren’t planning on submitting a separate package for her?
I'm filling I-485 for my daughter on her behalf as she is my derivative and was listed during DV-2019 entry submission. Shortly speaking myself, my wife and daughter are applying for green cards. So the answer to your question is yes - I will be submitting package for my daughter as well.

I'm filling I-485 for my daughter on her behalf as she is my derivative and was listed during DV-2019 entry submission. Shortly speaking myself, my wife and daughter are applying for green cards. So the answer to your question is yes - I will be submitting package for my daughter as well.

So my previous response still applies. Yes you are filling and submitting the form for you daughter, you are however not petitioning your daughter, she is self petitioning as your derivative. You are only “preparing” the form on her behalf because she is a minor, the same way one prepares the form for someone who does not understand English or is not competent enough to complete the form on their own.

So my previous response still applies. Yes you are filling and submitting the form for you daughter, you are however not petitioning your daughter, she is self petitioning as your derivative. You are only “preparing” the form on her behalf because she is a minor, the same way one prepares the form for someone who does not understand English or is not competent enough to complete the form on their own.

I got your point Mom, thank you!

Hi - I'm uncertain about the following, and if I even need to complete the following sections on the I-485. Hope that you will be able to give some guidance.

PAGE 4 --> PART 2 --> #3 Receipt Number of Underlying Petition (if any)
- Will this be my case number, and should I complete his section with my case number?
- If this is the case, I assume that I need to complete #5.a through #9, and complete #8 with the same case number for my spouse and child?

I've attached a screenshot of the section in question.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PAGE4.png
    PAGE4.png
    191.7 KB · Views: 21
Hi - I'm uncertain about the following, and if I even need to complete the following sections on the I-485. Hope that you will be able to give some guidance.

PAGE 4 --> PART 2 --> #3 Receipt Number of Underlying Petition (if any)
- Will this be my case number, and should I complete his section with my case number?
- If this is the case, I assume that I need to complete #5.a through #9, and complete #8 with the same case number for my spouse and child?

I've attached a screenshot of the section in question.

Thanks!

Questions 3 - 9 in part 2 (page 4) of the I-485 are not applicable to DV based AOSers.

Hi mom:

Could I have a question about AOS package? If my wife has three I-797 (I-797B, I-797A, I-797C), should I attach all of them? Or attach the latest one?

Hi mom:

Could I have a question about AOS package? If my wife has three I-797 (I-797B, I-797A, I-797C), should I attach all of them? Or attach the latest one?

Sorry for missing one question. Should I prepare a cover letter for my wife and I? Or, should I prepare two cover letters, one for me and one for my wife?

Thanks for taking your valuable time to reply.