• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

Hi everyone. Apologies in advance if this question seems intrusive to anyone, but I was hoping to gain some further info regarding outstanding debt.

Did anyone still have loans/credit card debt when they went to their interview?

Hi everyone. Apologies in advance if this question seems intrusive to anyone, but I was hoping to gain some further info regarding outstanding debt.

Did anyone still have loans/credit card debt when they went to their interview?

There’s no requirement to be debt-free to interview. You would presumably settle any debts before you emigrate.

A week post-interview and my case has been updated from ready to administrative processing. Hopefully won't be too much longer til I get my passport back.

There’s no requirement to be debt-free to interview. You would presumably settle any debts before you emigrate.
Ok thanks for the reply! I was getting a little worried. Will definitely have it all paid before activation trip once approved, but if it would be required at time of interview I’d be busting my gut trying to get it all sorted.

I made my activation trip on Friday! Port of entry LAX. Just like others have said, it was very straightforward. The first officer was very friendly and chatty, and took my sealed envelope and double-checked my mailing address for the green card. The second officer barely said a word as he stamped my passport and gave me a "welcome" letter explaining that my stamped passport served as my temporary green card. Too easy!

I was also able to open a bank account on the very same day. Walked into a Bank of America branch not necessarily expecting to be able to do much (I thought I might need to wait until social security card/number arrived) but it was no problem. I was able to set up checking, saving, and secured credit card accounts despite not having SSN or a US cellphone number yet. Everything's coming together. :)

As usual, huge thanks to everybody here who has helped along the way. Whether by asking my own questions or just lurking to see what others are asking, this forum has made the whole process so much easier. Thank you all!

How are other DVers going about finding a job? How long did it take you to secure something? I'm still looking for a job here.

I set up in Texas due to the low cost of living, booming economy, no state income tax and no snow. Yes I've received my green card. Health insurance is easy to get, I got a plan through ACA also known as Obamacare. Have you been selected Mijoro?

I've been here about 5 weeks now.
Not an awful long time to be looking for a new immigrant.
Some obvious questions (as in those that many new immigrants deal with) include those around your resume (is it in US normal format, does it clearly state you have work authorization etc), your field of work vs what is available around where you are, your willingness to take a step back down the ladder to get a foothold here, etc.

I plan on moving over around November. I'm just wondering about insurance. I assume travel insurance is out of the picture when you have a green card since you're now a permanent resident of the US, right? Anyone know of any good (ie cheap but effective) health care plans in the US, or at least where I should be looking?

Thanks!

My had interview on July 24th he was approved that took passport, now on website it says administrative processing. It has been 2 months and nothing. Have sent emails and nothing has changed even on the website. Need answers

My had interview on July 24th he was approved that took passport, now on website it says administrative processing. It has been 2 months and nothing. Have sent emails and nothing has changed even on the website. Need answers
Where did you get your interview done?

Hi I would like to find out the process for a selected DV 2018. I did an application form DS 260 but have not heard any response and the end date is September 30th which is a weekend.