Days Spent Outside of US

Sorry Susie
I was writing on behalf of my cousin. He has same of my situation, but he entered USA 3 years before me. He needs to do the naturalization asap, because he is planing starting a master in Europe. If he lives now States, his naturalization will be postponed to much.
I will be in the same situation 3 years latter. I also, for studying reasons disrupted my residence for 2 years. But I have time. Mabe I can youse 4 uears and 1 day rule...
Well, I’m confused as to who is who now but anyway the point of the requirements is exactly to deny him the chance to naturalize (yet) if he spends too much time out the country. So if he wants to do the masters he needs to accept the consequences and same for you. You need to decide where your priorities are, education abroad before naturalization or vice versa. It’s not like you can’t do a masters in the US.

And bear in mind depending on your FO, naturalization could take up to a year to complete after you file N400. Even meeting all the requirements you can’t be guaranteed that it can be done “ASAP”.

Thank you so much for the replies.

I haven't spent much time on the cruises! I wish i could :)

I was only out of US for about 100 days in the past five years so including the cruise is not a big deal at all. I just wanted to understand the rules. So, thank you for clarifying the international waters rule.

I have another question. If I know I will be out of the US after I submit my application do I put it down on the application or not?

Thanks again.

Deniz

100 days is no problem, dont worry. The only thing is you should not stay in overseas more than 6 months.

Last edited by a moderator: