Dual Citizenship; Can I enter the U.S with my expired passport??

cbnyre

I currently live in Ecuador and have an active Ecuadorian passport.
I wanted to travel back home (New York - Born and raised) and settle certain legal issues.
Because of these issues, I cannot renew my passport until it is resolved.

My question is - Can I enter the US with my Ecuadorian passport and my expired USA passport as proof of US Citizenship?

Thank you in advance..

Ive known someone with just the naturalization certificate let back in But that was some years ago
Laws/Rules change often and cant remember theexact circumstances in which said events occurred. And your certificate has your picture on it

A Birth Certificate doesnt have a picture

Convincing the airline to even let you board the flight is another task. Birth cerificate or not they probably wouldnt care
Im from a third world country as well

Getting a passport with any name i want on it cost me about $100 thats $25 for the passport and $75 to someone working there

So it would be hard for the airline them to verify you are who you say you are with a passport from your country and just a birth cerificate

Why not just renew your american passport at a consulate in Ecuador?

If said issues are stopping you from renewing your passport
Those same issues might also prevent you from being granted entry!!!

Your best chance is going into the american consulate!!!!

Care to share more info?
Because you should be able to use your expired passport to get a new one!

But as far as traveling on your birth certificate. Thats not going to work!

You have to enter the US with a US passport if you are a citizen, and I guess they’d have to let you in with an expired passport because you’re a citizen, but the airline probably won’t allow you to board with an expired passport - and you’d probably need to use your Ecuador passport to leave Ecuador anyway. So you’d have to do what many duals have to, use different passports in different countries. It’s a bit complicated anyway with an expired passport but it’s obviously a lot more complicated than face value if you need to settle legal issues before you can renew your passport (I don’t know what this means - did something happen that you think you renounced your US nationality? Why else couldn’t you renew your passport for legal reasons?) You should probably contact a good immigration attorney or as jbuff says, sort your issues out at the consuiate before you travel.

So it would be hard for the airline them to verify you are who you say you are with a passport from your country and just a birth cerificate

But as far as traveling on your birth certificate. Thats not going to work!

OP’s post didn’t say anything about using a birth certificate.

True.
Will edit post!!
Sorry cant seem to edit previous post
Please Disregard part about birth certificate

Best bet is to go to a consulate !!
I'd agree with this - the consulates actually tend to be very helpful. You may be surprised!