1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Citizenship; Can I enter the U.S with my expired passport??

Discussion in 'Passports' started by cbnyre, Apr 12, 2018.

  1. cbnyre

    cbnyre New Member

    I currently live in Ecuador and have an active Ecuadorian passport.
    I wanted to travel back home (New York - Born and raised) and settle certain legal issues.
    Because of these issues, I cannot renew my passport until it is resolved.

    My question is - Can I enter the US with my Ecuadorian passport and my expired USA passport as proof of US Citizenship?

    Thank you in advance..
  2. Jbuff

    Jbuff Member

    Ive known someone with just the naturalization certificate let back in But that was some years ago
    Laws/Rules change often and cant remember theexact circumstances in which said events occurred. And your certificate has your picture on it

    A Birth Certificate doesnt have a picture

    Convincing the airline to even let you board the flight is another task. Birth cerificate or not they probably wouldnt care
    Im from a third world country as well

    Getting a passport with any name i want on it cost me about $100 thats $25 for the passport and $75 to someone working there

    So it would be hard for the airline them to verify you are who you say you are with a passport from your country and just a birth cerificate

    Why not just renew your american passport at a consulate in Ecuador?

    If said issues are stopping you from renewing your passport
    Those same issues might also prevent you from being granted entry!!!

    Your best chance is going into the american consulate!!!!

    Care to share more info?
    Because you should be able to use your expired passport to get a new one!

    But as far as traveling on your birth certificate. Thats not going to work!
  3. SusieQQQ

    SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

    You have to enter the US with a US passport if you are a citizen, and I guess they’d have to let you in with an expired passport because you’re a citizen, but the airline probably won’t allow you to board with an expired passport - and you’d probably need to use your Ecuador passport to leave Ecuador anyway. So you’d have to do what many duals have to, use different passports in different countries. It’s a bit complicated anyway with an expired passport but it’s obviously a lot more complicated than face value if you need to settle legal issues before you can renew your passport (I don’t know what this means - did something happen that you think you renounced your US nationality? Why else couldn’t you renew your passport for legal reasons?) You should probably contact a good immigration attorney or as jbuff says, sort your issues out at the consuiate before you travel.
  4. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    OP’s post didn’t say anything about using a birth certificate.
  5. Jbuff

    Jbuff Member

    Will edit post!!
    Sorry cant seem to edit previous post
    Please Disregard part about birth certificate

    Best bet is to go to a consulate !!
  6. Webdesignt

    Webdesignt New Member

    I'd agree with this - the consulates actually tend to be very helpful. You may be surprised!

Share This Page