help with Asylum, '' fees were waived '' does it mean Approval or it does not mean anything ?

lionelmessi1989

hey guys ,
I am an asylum applicant , I did my interview 4.5 months ago and did also 2nd fingerprint 2 months ago , everyday I was checking on USCIS website by my Receipt number which starts with ZSF , it would show invalid number before but today it shows this message '' we received your case and waived the filing fee for your I-765, application for employment authorization, we mailed you a notice describing how you will proceed your case '' I do not know what it means ?

thanks a lot in advance

thanks , my interview was in San Francisco office
this is my timeline:
applied on February 2015
interview on April 2017
2nd finger print on June 2017
still waiting for the decision
hopefully it comes with approval inshaAllah soon

hey guys ,
I am an asylum applicant , I did my interview 4.5 months ago and did also 2nd fingerprint 2 months ago , everyday I was checking on USCIS website by my Receipt number which starts with ZSF , it would show invalid number before but today it shows this message '' we received your case and waived the filing fee for your I-765, application for employment authorization, we mailed you a notice describing how you will proceed your case '' I do not know what it means ?

thanks a lot in advance

Congratulations. 100% approved

thanks , my interview was in San Francisco office
this is my timeline:
applied on February 2015
interview on April 2017
2nd finger print on June 2017
still waiting for the decision
hopefully it comes with approval inshaAllah soon

Lionelmessi1989
Did you receive your letter of approval yet? If yes. How long did it take to arrived? I mean from the day you checked your case online.
Because yesterday I also checked my receipt number and it says the same things.
Thank you.

Lionelmessi1989
Did you receive your letter of approval yet? If yes. How long did it take to arrived? I mean from the day you checked your case online.
Because yesterday I also checked my receipt number and it says the same things.
Thank you.
Hi , hope you are doing well .
When was your interview and which office ?

Has anyone got their new EAD after the approval letter because I still didn't get mine. Or do I have to apply again before 3 months ? Thanks

Has anyone got their new EAD after the approval letter because I still didn't get mine. Or do I have to apply again before 3 months ? Thanks
You will get a new card after approval a week
But if you granted your case by court you will have to apply for it. That will take months

I granted just from the interview and it's been more then a month and still didn't get my EAD and in the approval letter it says that they will mail me one .What should I do?

Hello everyone! It's been 3 months after the approval letter and I still didn't get my EAD . Did anyone experienced or knows what's the delay?Thank you

hey guys ,

thanks a lot in advance
Thanks for raising this question! my case was similar to yours and the answer given to you helped me a lot and I want to add my experience for the fellow asylum seekers that if anyone who has similar experience like we do (“fees were waived” on your online case status before even applying for work permit) its 100% approval as I’m approved and collected my papers. And it’s very important to sign up for the online immigration case status because you will be able to track and follow what’s going on your case in my case I noticed I missed my interview because of my mailbox address problem it was similar address with neighbor’s so the mailman returned the mail to immigration the only way I was notified was through online case status and it gives me 7 months delay My case is completed in 1 year on August 8, 2019, it was in ZSF. God help you, Brothers and sisters, I thanks the owners of this platform.

hey guys ,

thanks a lot in advance
my case is the same, i did uscis asylum interview and my status changed in 2 weeks to "fee were waived" and in 3rd weeks changed to "new card is being produced", i was really worried before i read here that this process is +ve and a sign of approval of my asylum interview. so thank you all and its a big relief for me and my family. i appreciate if somebody share his experience regarding this issue. so far i didn't receive any official letter. after my interview immigration officer told me that the decision will send by mail to my address. what should i expect and what should i do next. can i get EAD before my approval letter?
which means after approval also do i need EAD to work what about my SSN ?
what is the next process to bring my family? and how long it takes?
thank you guys

Last edited:
my case is the same, i did uscis asylum interview and my status changed in 2 weeks to "fee were waived" and in 3rd weeks changed to "new card is being produced", i was really worried before i read here that this process is +ve and a sign of approval of my asylum interview. so thank you all and its a big relief for me and my family. i appreciate if somebody share his experience regarding this issue. so far i didn't receive any official letter. after my interview immigration officer told me that the decision will send by mail to my address. what should i expect and what should i do next. can i get EAD before my approval letter?
thank you guys

Just wait, the approval letter sometimes takes a few weeks to come in the mail. You don't have to apply for an EAD. "Fees were waived" means they are already producing an EAD for you, and you will receive it in the mail soon. As soon as you get the letter of approval or the EAD, you can bring either one of these to an SSA office to apply for a social security number/card. Find an application online, fill it out, and make an appointment.
If you are married and/or have children under 21, you can apply to bring them to the US. https://www.uscis.gov/i-730 But you must apply within 2 years of being granted asylum. I believe the process is different depending on whether they're already in the US or abroad. Read through the instructions, and check with an attorney to see what's the best way to go about it.

thank you guys

Hi there,

I’ll try to answer only some of your questions compering with my own experience happened 3 months ago.

First of all be happy, your case is 100% approved!!! What you need to do next is relax.

second, wait for the mail(in my case it took 4 weeks from my interview date) it will be confidential, the mailman will knock your door and give you the decision postal mail personally or if you’re not at home, like me the mailman leave you a small paper in your mailbox which have easy instruction on it so you fallow the instruction, in my case i took that small paper out of my mailbox and i immediately grab my photo ID and went to the address that mentioned on that small piece of paper its USPS near me and i ask the person at the desk and signed and they gave me the postal mail.

in the postal mail you will get the all the instruction you need everything you asked here its explained officially in the decision postal mail for example when/what to do about your family , EAD, SSN....

EAD will be mailed to you automatically in approximation 2 weeks from the day you received the decision mail.

SSN, you must go to the nearest Social Security office and apply for SSN as soon as you get the decision postal mail. what you need when you go to apply for SSN you grab passport or any photo ID plus the Decision mail, at the SS office you will write a Form its easy you can Google it now and the officer will ask you two question in my case if i used food stamp and government medical support i didn’t used any of that because i had a chance to stay with a relative. Then you will be done in approximately 2 weeks you will receive the SSN mail.

Hi there,

I’ll try to answer only some of your questions compering with my own experience happened 3 months ago.

First of all be happy, your case is 100% approved!!! What you need to do next is relax.

second, wait for the mail(in my case it took 4 weeks from my interview date) it will be confidential, the mailman will knock your door and give you the decision postal mail personally or if you’re not at home, like me the mailman leave you a small paper in your mailbox which have easy instruction on it so you fallow the instruction, in my case i took that small paper out of my mailbox and i immediately grab my photo ID and went to the address that mentioned on that small piece of paper its USPS near me and i ask the person at the desk and signed and they gave me the postal mail.

in the postal mail you will get the all the instruction you need everything you asked here its explained officially in the decision postal mail for example when/what to do about your family , EAD, SSN....

EAD will be mailed to you automatically in approximation 2 weeks from the day you received the decision mail.

SSN, you must go to the nearest Social Security office and apply for SSN as soon as you get the decision postal mail. what you need when you go to apply for SSN you grab passport or any photo ID plus the Decision mail, at the SS office you will write a Form its easy you can Google it now and the officer will ask you two question in my case if i used food stamp and government medical support i didn’t used any of that because i had a chance to stay with a relative. Then you will be done in approximately 2 weeks you will receive the SSN mail.

thank you @yes100 thats great explanation appreciate for your advice, i'm relaxing now, but i will be more relax after i get my family here.you know time matters ....but looks fantastic i think.