• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

did the officer ask anything about:
1) Financial support (I-134)?
2) DV registration form? (that photos were not old, your spouse was included in your entry, etc.)

Thank you.

She just asked what I mentioned before, about arrival and departure dates, types of visas we hold and school related questions, like a school letter, I-20's and transcripts if any.

Didnt ask questions about the I-485, nor about any other forms, didn't ask about sponsor, nor about photos used in the application. My husband was included in the application when we applied.

The interview was unusual comparing to other interviews I have read about, she mentioned the package was really well assembled (thanks to mom, Simon, sussy for their advices and the spreadsheet)

Hi mom and everyone,
I have some scattered questions. Thank you for your time.
My situation: F2, principal DV applicant, CN AF29k, just submitted DS 260, applying for AOS.
1- In my country, birth certificates mention the issue date. I am having them issued and translated in January. Would there be a question of validity if they are attached to the i-i485 which will probably be submitted in May/June and then presented in the interview in July/August, i.e. over 6 months from date of issuance/translation?
2- I understand translation doesn't have to be done in the US, as long as done by a translator who certifies competency to translate from original language to English and that the translation is true to the original. is this correct?
3- my wife (F-1) has completed her last exam in December. Officially graduating on January 26 (date the diploma is conferred). Applied for OPT in December 2017 (still pending). regarding the question about primary occupation in DS260, she elected "Unemployed" instead of "student" or "other". Is it the correct choice?
4- Now that I am filling in the i-485, I remembered that, when I used to be an expatriate in the middle east, the government officers took the liberty to transliterate my name in a different way when they issued me a residency card (compared to my home country's passport's transliteration). I will be mentioning that alternative transliteration in the i-485, now that I recall it. However, do i have to ask for the DS-260 to be unlocked so that I have that alternative name spelling included?
5- 12 years ago I used to be on F1. I had an OPT card issued with an A number. Do I use that A-number on (the top of each page of )the i485 form?
Thank you for your time.

Hi mom and everyone,
I have some scattered questions. Thank you for your time.
My situation: F2, principal DV applicant, CN AF29k, just submitted DS 260, applying for AOS.
1- In my country, birth certificates mention the issue date. I am having them issued and translated in January. Would there be a question of validity if they are attached to the i-i485 which will probably be submitted in May/June and then presented in the interview in July/August, i.e. over 6 months from date of issuance/translation?
2- I understand translation doesn't have to be done in the US, as long as done by a translator who certifies competency to translate from original language to English and that the translation is true to the original. is this correct?
3- my wife (F-1) has completed her last exam in December. Officially graduating on January 26 (date the diploma is conferred). Applied for OPT in December 2017 (still pending). regarding the question about primary occupation in DS260, she elected "Unemployed" instead of "student" or "other". Is it the correct choice?
4- Now that I am filling in the i-485, I remembered that, when I used to be an expatriate in the middle east, the government officers took the liberty to transliterate my name in a different way when they issued me a residency card (compared to my home country's passport's transliteration). I will be mentioning that alternative transliteration in the i-485, now that I recall it. However, do i have to ask for the DS-260 to be unlocked so that I have that alternative name spelling included?
5- 12 years ago I used to be on F1. I had an OPT card issued with an A number. Do I use that A-number on (the top of each page of )the i485 form?
Thank you for your time.

1. No issue. Nothing to worry about.
2. Doing the translation in the US is preferable since you’re processing AOS, but not required. Preferably in the sense that should USCIS need to see the translator for whatever reason, (which is very rare), a US based person is easier to present.
3. Doesn’t matter, makes no difference.
4. Better to update the DS260 for consistency.
5. Yes.

1. No issue. Nothing to worry about.
2. Doing the translation in the US is preferable since you’re processing AOS, but not required. Preferably in the sense that should USCIS need to see the translator for whatever reason, (which is very rare), a US based person is easier to present.
3. Doesn’t matter, makes no difference.
4. Better to update the DS260 for consistency.
5. Yes.
Thanks!

Here Is my experience of interview. Maybe would be helpful for someone.
We are family of 4: Me, my wife, and two kids 4 years and 2.5 years.
All four of us got invitation for interview to Newark field office for specific time for each. 7:15 am, 8:15am, 9:15am and 10:15 (for the youngest).

All of us arrived 7:00 am, passed theater of security and went to 14 flour, thinking we really have dedicated time slot :)

There was a huge waiting area with lots of people already inside, we were told be quiet and wait until someone call us.
Well, be quit and sit still for ~6 hours (this is how much time we spent in this building) is close to impossible for 2.5 year child :)
And it is a nightmare for a parent to clampdown your child. Screaming, running on corridors with no shoes, hiding, spilling the water on the floor and all other things which make people child free - drive me crazy and feel ashamed.
But despite all of that, staff there and all the people around was extremely friendly and no one «harsh» to us. (in contrast how we visited he office where biometric was taking).

At 8:15 pleasant lady call us and said, she will be running our case, but she need one additional hour (or so) to study all the papers. So she asked us to go to cafetorium on second flour and chill out :)
9:40 she call us again and led us into her cabinet. She was the only person who know what to do with diversity visa program.
After 10 min. she realized she can not interview all of us at the same time. So she returned my wife with kids to waiting area, got back to me and start checking documents again.
She said they are all so busy, so many people, so many cases and so much work to be done.
She looked and behave as a person who has many things to do and don’t know from where it is better to start.

Asked me if we already done oath, and we didn’t. So we did.
Then fingerprints, photo on web camera, checking my passport, L1 visa and NJ driver license.
Then she asked few Yes/no question from my i-485.
Then started checking if I eligible for obtaining visa. Here words:
  • You either can be eligible over the work experience and you definitely are but this would require me to do some request to companies, so it would be easier for me to approve you over education.
She started checking my diplomas and the copy of PhD certificate was missing in her documents. I had additional copy and original with me, so we added my copy to the case.
Then she looked for copy of marriage certificate and it was also missing (or maybe she just could not find it in all this heap). So I showed her original and handover my extra copy.
Then she checked medical exams and asked if the doctor was from their network. I said Yes.
Checked my compulsory military service certificate.
Checked, still valid, tourist visa in my old expired passport.

I’m 100% sure I put ALL the copies into envelop for Chicago locker.
So do not be lazy to bring extra copy on interview.
She thanked for coming to the interview so well prepared and said that some people even do not understand what documents she is asking from them.
And as a reword for all of that she asked me to fill 4 copies of G-325, Biographic Information. (she said, may be kids don’t need it, but still please fill it so we have a record in our database )

I had to fill it in waiting area while she was interviewing my wife. But remember, I have to cramdown kids :)
So I had to wait until my wife done to hand over kids.
Then I spend some time handwriting SAME information I already had in i-485. (this form does not add any additional information).
Pass my hand writing to a window from where it was handover to my officer. And then I was asked to wait another hour.
Finally she came to us again and said – “I just wanted to tell you that all documents are fine and you good to go”

Same day online status was changed to: “we ordered your new card for Receipt Number xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and will mail it to the address you gave us.”

What was the point to take our kid? None checked their passports.
Why some copies was lost?
Why should I fill G-325?
What is the point of all this bureaucracy? I hold ALL copies of my documents in cloud so I always can access them. And I’m sure US government can also do the same.
Those are the questions I do not expect one can answer, I’m just happy it is close to over :)

Good luck!

Hey mom and everyone ,my case was current in December,i did the biometric on 12/22 ,is there is acceptance notification I should recieve or just wait for interview letter?
Thank you for your help

Hey mom and everyone ,my case was current in December,i did the biometric on 12/22 ,is there is acceptance notification I should recieve or just wait for interview letter?
Thank you for your help
You do not receive a notification related to biometrics after completing it.

Hi mom and everybody,

I have question regarding job permission after submission of i-485. I know that it requires another form to file.
However, my question is this:
I am under F1, so I can work in the summer, is it still true after filing i-485? or Should i file the other form?

Many thanks!
Jord

Hello,

Our interview was today.

We had to wait around 2 hours before being called by the officer. The place was crowded. Interview took around 10 minutes. Did the oath, then the fingerprints (the system had issues, so fingerprints couldn't be processed) , quickly reviewed the documents, checked school originals. The officer was very friendly. Asked about arrival and departure dates and about my husband's schools (he transfered from one school to another) and also about my visa status (I first entered with tourist visa and changed to F2 after getting married, ( before winning the lottery).

At the end said everything looked ok, she needed to review the documents once more by herself and we should wait for the desicion in a couple of days. We have good feelings.

Congrats on your selection and I hope goes well now been a Green Card holder :)

Hi mom and everybody,

I have question regarding job permission after submission of i-485. I know that it requires another form to file.
However, my question is this:
I am under F1, so I can work in the summer, is it still true after filing i-485? or Should i file the other form?

Many thanks!
Jord

If your current status authorizes employment, that is not impacted by the AOS petition you’ve filed.

Hello,

My case was current on November, but haven't received an interview letter yet. Looking at the past time-line for my field office, it seems like I should have got the letter.

I am thinking of getting an info pass, if i don't get an interview letter within this saturday. I have some questions regarding info-pass:

1) Should I get an info pass for me and my wife and both should go; or any of us can go for the meeting.

2) I looked online but it says that there are no available appointments. Is there other way to schedule an appointment.

2) I looked online but it says that there are no available appointments. Is there other way to schedule an appointment.

It's normal. Check availability in the morning, because there are no available appointments in the evening or on weekends.

Hello,

My case was current on November, but haven't received an interview letter yet. Looking at the past time-line for my field office, it seems like I should have got the letter.

I am thinking of getting an info pass, if i don't get an interview letter within this saturday. I have some questions regarding info-pass:

1) Should I get an info pass for me and my wife and both should go; or any of us can go for the meeting.

When did you send in your AOS petition?

It's normal. Check availability in the morning, because there are no available appointments in the evening or on weekends.

The fact that there are no evening or weekend appointments does not mean one can’t book an infopass in the evening or on a weekend. It depends on the FO.

Sent application : 10/8/2017
Reached: 10/11/2017
NOA received: 10/22/2017
Bio letter received: 10/23/2017
Bio done: 11/09/2017

An infopass wouldn’t hurt. Check for an open slot at different times of the day on an ongoing basis.