• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Application Form

ArriB

Hi,
In terms of filling in the form, I have a few questions and would be grateful for answer.

1) Once you start the form, do you have to complete it at the same time?
2) Can you save the form and go back later on?
3) If you exit the form without completing, can you go back at a later stage and start over or do you lose the entry completely for the year you are applying?

Regarding the photos, when I apply - do I have to upload my families at the same time or only mine for now?
I've taken them on my DSLR camera for the best quality possible and will keep to the required size but am not sure on the above question.

I found a site that automatically crops the photo for you to the required pixels etc which seems to be ok?
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Also I see the form is down for maintenance, does this happen often and if so how long usually until it's back up again?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
In terms of filling in the form, I have a few questions and would be grateful for answer.

1) Once you start the form, do you have to complete it at the same time?
2) Can you save the form and go back later on?
3) If you exit the form without completing, can you go back at a later stage and start over or do you lose the entry completely for the year you are applying?

Regarding the photos, when I apply - do I have to upload my families at the same time or only mine for now?
I've taken them on my DSLR camera for the best quality possible and will keep to the required size but am not sure on the above question.

I found a site that automatically crops the photo for you to the required pixels etc which seems to be ok?
egreencardphoto.com/step1

Also I see the form is down for maintenance, does this happen often and if so how long usually until it's back up again?

Thanks!

It's not an application form, it's an entry for a draw - just to be clear on the terms.

You have to complete the form in one go. It doesn't take long to complete, should take no longer than 10 minutes. You can't save and come back to it later. If you exit the form without completing, you will not get a confirmation number which means your entry has not been registered, therefore you can start again. Try to prepare all necessary info BEFORE you even start the process.

I would suggest you use their own photo cropping tool, which you can find on this page.
https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/photos.html

As for the AES system being offline (on 'maintenance' mode) - as you can see in a separate thread, they are working on it. You can follow them on twitter, people now keep asking them the same question and they are pretty good at responding, even though there is no news or ETA.

Thanks for the prompt reply, you are correct in the term that it's an entry for a draw and your answer will be most helpful to me.
However the one burning question I have, is that would I need to upload only my photo at the time of filling in the form or do I need to upload my wife/kids at the same time as well?

Also does the photo tool supplied by them automatically resize it for me to the correct measurements and size?

Thanks for the prompt reply, you are correct in the term that it's an entry for a draw and your answer will be most helpful to me.
However the one burning question I have, is that would I need to upload only my photo at the time of filling in the form or do I need to upload my wife/kids at the same time as well?

Also does the photo tool supplied by them automatically resize it for me to the correct measurements and size?

You need your photo and that of any listed derivative before you can submit the form.

The government/official photo tool does not automatically resize the picture. It however is still the best recommended site for validating the photos.

I've edited your previous post by x'ing out the website link you had provided.

The government/official photo tool does not automatically resize the picture. It however is still the best recommended site for validating the photos.

Actually, the official photo tool is perfect to load your picture, resize and crop it to a square image of exactly 600 x 600 pixels. You can zoom in and out to ensure your head fits within the template, to meet the requirement "The top of the head, including the hair, to the bottom of the chin must be between 50% and 69% of the image's total height. The eye height (measured from the bottom of the image to the level of the eyes) should be between 56% and 69% of the image's height."

I used to fiddle around with some simple graphics programs in previous years, but used their own photo tool ever since they introduced it.

Actually, the official photo tool is perfect to load your picture, resize and crop it to a square image of exactly 600 x 600 pixels. You can zoom in and out to ensure your head fits within the template, to meet the requirement "The top of the head, including the hair, to the bottom of the chin must be between 50% and 69% of the image's total height. The eye height (measured from the bottom of the image to the level of the eyes) should be between 56% and 69% of the image's height."

I used to fiddle around with some simple graphics programs in previous years, but used their own photo tool ever since they introduced it.

Yes I'm aware the tool can do that. OP's question was whether the tool "automatically" resizes photos, which it doesn't. User has to play around with it.

Im not understanding this photo tool.

When i click it, an empty white box comes up, with no option to upload or drop a pic in. Am I really dense or is there a fault?

Also, whats the go with a littlke bot of shadow under the jaw and neck area?

When i click it, an empty white box comes up, with no option to upload or drop a pic in. Am I really dense or is there a fault?

Do you have adobe flash player 10 or later like it asks?

In my own testing, on a Mac; I could only get the tool working in Firefox and not in Safari or Chrome.

yes, i believe so.

I mean im no technical whiz but the program on my desktop says XI so I assume so?
In my own testing, on a Mac; I could only get the tool working in Firefox and not in Safari or Chrome.

Moralturpitude, not sure what browser you're using but both of you, FYI Chrome does not automatically allow Flash to run on websites (it says because of security issues). The photo tool didn't work for me on Chrome until I went into the settings and manually enabled Flash (even when it's set to "ask first" it seems to just block rather than ask, so disable this option) - then it was fine. So you might want to try that.