Asylee's unrestricted SSN

happycamper2017

Hello, everyone!
Originally I received my SSN with DHS label:"VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTH ####".

After my case got approved, I went to SSA office to change my SSN to UNRESTRICTED based on some lines from the letter: "You and your family may immediately apply for an unrestricted SS card"

My understanding was the having a DHS label - means its a restricted SSN.

BUT in SSA office I was told that my card is already unrestricted (even with DHS label) and that I wont be able to receive normal card without any labels until I get a Green Card. I spent over an hr with SSA employees and left with no results..

Can someone explain who is right and if there are any links to ssa.gov so I can prove my point (if I'm not mistaken)

Thanks!

P.S. I was told that based on TYPES OF SSNs, (ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm ) I can get only TYPE 2 that I already have

Here it is: RM 10211.205C:
Treat SSN applicants who submit evidence of asylee status as permanent resident aliens with permanent employment authorization. The Social Security Administration (SSA) issues asylees unrestricted SSN cards (cards without a legend).

Though it doesn't really matter that much if you have a restricted or unrestricted card; the only difference is that an unrestricted SS card can be used as a proof of work authorization document on the I-9 form when you start work, instead of having to use your I-94.

Last edited:
Here it is:

Though it doesn't really matter that much if you have a restricted or unrestricted card; the only difference is that an unrestricted SS card can be used as a proof of work authorization document on the I-9 form when you start work, instead of having to use your I-94.
Thanks, I did read this line to SSA employee but was told that my current card is already non-restricted (even it has DHS label)

Basically, I want clean SSN without any extra labels/legends to not to depend on work authorization.
Questions:
  1. Is label "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTH ####" is considered as a "legend"? If so, I can refer to RM 10211.205C and ask for SSN without this legend
  2. Is SSN card with "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTH" considered as restricted SSN card or NOT?
thanks!

Thanks, I did read this line to SSA employee but was told that my current card is already non-restricted (even it has DHS label)

Basically, I want clean SSN without any extra labels/legends to not to depend on work authorization.
Questions:
  1. Is label "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTH ####" is considered as a "legend"? If so, I can refer to RM 10211.205C and ask for SSN without this legend
  2. Is SSN card with "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTH" considered as restricted SSN card or NOT?
thanks!
Yes, that is the legend.

The legend is to be updated appropriately when your status changes.

Go try another Social Security office and everything going to be fine. Just ask them for what you need and follow their procedures.

They ought to have given you a new card with no stipulation, so definitely try to get a new card at a different office. Else, employers will probably ask for an EAD.

You could also 'lose' the card and request a replacement. This, however, would eat into the total number of replacements you are allowed (10 in total).

I know the I94 is acceptable, but it's still also a non-standard document, as opposed to an SSC and DL, and employers might not be familiar with it and still want an EAD - it happened to me once, and the problem was I didn't know that they couldn't really ask for the EAD so I lost that job after the first day of training. The added benefit of the unrestricted SSC is that you need not disclose your asylum status, which many of us did not want out in the open necessarily.

Go to another office and try again. There is a SSA regulation that lets asylees have unrestricted cards. You maybe able to find that online and take a print out. I was able to get one without a problem a few years ago. I would always recommend using the unrestricted SSN card and your drivers license for I-9 employment purposes. That’s the least complicated way.