• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Doesn't the memo say CIV is done before the interview? You were called a couple of days after your interview. And the document you were given at the end of your interview did indicate your background check was still pending anyways.

the IO just said he had to do my fingerprints which is why I went back three days later- in which I know realize is the CIV. He said this system was down on the day of my interview. On the CIV day, he verbally approved me but I haven't seen any changes in the online portal yet.
The letter that I received during my interview was not checked off for pending background check- it was checked off for 2. A decision cannot yet be made about your application/petition. I was simply telling @John90 that my letter did have a background check pending option.
My letter did not have an option for return for CIV which is why I'm understanding what occured just now.

If you have a booked appointment with your congress man's office, I suggest you still keep it and tell them what USCIS told you on the phone.

If you're just doing a drop in, then I recommend you wait a couple of days for the IL to show up.

Thanks. I will wait for IL and Infopass then.

Is there any way to find out if my background check has been completed? Can FBI release this info, or I have to wait for Infopass ?

Thanks. I will wait for IL and Infopass then.

Is there any way to find out if my background check has been completed? Can FBI release this info, or I have to wait for Infopass ?

The FBI will not provide that information. And there's no point going for an INFOPASS if your IL has already been mailed. You can ask about your background check at the end of your interview.

The FBI will not provide that information. And there's no point going for an INFOPASS if your IL has already been mailed. You can ask about your background check at the end of your interview.

I was thinking that if I learned at the infopass about my background check, I could reach out to congressman before the interview if needed?

Hi @Sm1smom ,

Having read the above posts, I've got a couple of questions to ask.

1. Is the "background check" and "name check" are two different things or do they refer it to the same thing?
2. Isn't the background check done before the interview? (That's what I was told at the infopass (before getting the IL at hand), that case won't be moving any further till the background check is completed)
3. (a).They haven't requested the KCC file yet. Is there anything I should do about it or should I just wait till the interview with the hope that the IO will figure it out? (From my both infopass experience, the officers at the window have no clue what it is).
(b). Is it possible to call USCIS and get somebody to request it?

It's possible your IO isn't authorized to approve the petition on his and needs his supervisor to review before approval. I don't see a need to stress or worry at this stage.
Thanks mom! I will just keep checking my status online in the next weeks.

Just sharing details of my third Infopass appointment that took place today in Los Angeles.

We had a knowledgeable officer this time who explained that he has worked as an interviewer in the past. We were off to a good start.

He then informed us that our biometrics were only “uploaded into the system” on July 2. Considering that we did the biometrics on June 1, it was a surprise.

He said that our background checks were still pending and the NBC won’t send our package to them until it’s complete. I asked if they could schedule an interview in advance due to the time sensitivity and he said not until they get the package from the NBC.

He said that we are not even in the queue yet for having an interview scheduled. He then said we may not need an interview if everything checks out.

He explained that their Los Angeles office is the busiest in the country and the most backed up. He will make an enquiry to see if the case can be expedited. He said to make another Infopass appointment for 3 weeks.

I was thinking that if I learned at the infopass about my background check, I could reach out to congressman before the interview if needed?

If you're already scheduled for an interview, going on an INFOPASS for the purpose of finding out if your background check has cleared is a waste of time. And reaching out to your congress person for help on that when you've not gone for your interview is also a waste of time and the resources available to assist you.

Hi @Sm1smom ,

Having read the above posts, I've got a couple of questions to ask.

1. Is the "background check" and "name check" are two different things or do they refer it to the same thing?
2. Isn't the background check done before the interview? (That's what I was told at the infopass (before getting the IL at hand), that case won't be moving any further till the background check is completed)
3. (a).They haven't requested the KCC file yet. Is there anything I should do about it or should I just wait till the interview with the hope that the IO will figure it out? (From my both infopass experience, the officers at the window have no clue what it is).
(b). Is it possible to call USCIS and get somebody to request it?

1. Name check is part of the background check.

2. Background check is initiated following the bio. It may or may not be complete by the time you go for your interview. Some FOs will go ahead and schedule the interview while the background check is still pending.

3a. Wait till interview.
B. See 3a

Just sharing details of my third Infopass appointment that took place today in Los Angeles.

We had a knowledgeable officer this time who explained that he has worked as an interviewer in the past. We were off to a good start.

He then informed us that our biometrics were only “uploaded into the system” on July 2. Considering that we did the biometrics on June 1, it was a surprise.

He said that our background checks were still pending and the NBC won’t send our package to them until it’s complete. I asked if they could schedule an interview in advance due to the time sensitivity and he said not until they get the package from the NBC.

He said that we are not even in the queue yet for having an interview scheduled. He then said we may not need an interview if everything checks out.

He explained that their Los Angeles office is the busiest in the country and the most backed up. He will make an enquiry to see if the case can be expedited. He said to make another Infopass appointment for 3 weeks.

1. Bio uploaded into the system 1 month after biometrics were taken? Take the infor with a pinch of salt, as that is not true. It is uploaded right away.

2. NBC will not send package until the background check clears? Also not accurate. We've had reports of petitioners being interviewed while the background check is pending, which disproves the claim of NBC not sending the AOS petition while background check is pending.

3. Yes that is possible, but unlikely with LA.

4. Yes LA FO is notoriously backed up, but not necessarily the most.

Thank you Sms1smom. I appreciate the feedback. Its a pity the officers aren't always as knowledgable as you!

I wonder why the officer told us a few times the July 2 date?

@Sm1smom
Hi Mom,

We (My wife & I) did our biometric on May22nd and our interview on July 20th. The interview was routine. She asked I485 questions. Some question on my job experience and type of works in my country. She asked if I have any professional connection with my previous colleagues yet?! I responded No, at all! Asked about military service. I had a few month as it's mandatory in our country!
Finally she said your welcome letter,.. is ready but you have not cleared yet! Your name check is still pending.
she said my wife's has been completed. Then she said she will ask her supervisor to request an expedite on my background check! But I have not received any update yet! Even ehen I check my case in USCIS I don't see any expedite on my "case history". So I'm not sure she has requested any expedite for my background check!
I have Info pass early next week.
Also I sent and email and contacted our congresswoman early this week. I have not received any response from her office yet! I called her office but I was told that they have a lot of cases and will follow my case in the order! What else can I do?!
As we are getting close to the fiscal year deadline I'm so worried on the deadline!
Do you recommend to follow my case with our Senator too?!

Thanks in advance for your guides.

@Sm1smom
Hi Mom,

We (My wife & I) did our biometric on May22nd and our interview on July 20th. The interview was routine. She asked I485 questions. Some question on my job experience and type of works in my country. She asked if I have any professional connection with my previous colleagues yet?! I responded No, at all! Asked about military service. I had a few month as it's mandatory in our country!
Finally she said your welcome letter,.. is ready but you have not cleared yet! Your name check is still pending.
she said my wife's has been completed. Then she said she will ask her supervisor to request an expedite on my background check! But I have not received any update yet! Even ehen I check my case in USCIS I don't see any expedite on my "case history". So I'm not sure she has requested any expedite for my background check!
Also I sent and email and contacted our congresswoman early this week. I have not received any response from her office yet! I called her office but I was told that they have a lot of cases and will follow my case in the order! What else can I do?!
As we are getting close to the fiscal year deadline I'm so worried on the deadline!

Same thing happened to us. My husband is still waiting for background check to clear (we had the interview on June 23). I was approved with the kids 3 weeks after the interview. Did infopass, online inquiry, and contacted the congressman. We were told that the background check can not be expedited, but probably the agency will get busy in September (per IO) and clear the background check. We are waiting too.

@Sm1smom
Hi Mom,

There's roughly 3 weeks left in August and 4 weeks in September for you to be approved. I understand your anxiety but there's still plenty of time left - at least you've done the interview.

There's not much that can be done if your background check is pending. USCIS is aware of the deadline DV based AOSers face, and they always make some extra efforts in getting such cases through. You will not see any status update online until your case is adjudicated. The IOs say all sorts of things, which may or may not mean anything.

Asking both your House of Rep person and Senator to follow up on your case is typically frowned on, USCIS will not appreciate that. It's also not a good idea to go on an INFOPASS around the same time you're asking your congress person to follow up. These things should be done one after the other. But since you already have your INFOPASS booked for next week, then yes you should keep it.

Hi @Sm1smom ,

Just a quick question. Do the DV applicants should be approved before 30 September or do they need to have the plastic card on their hand before the deadline?

Hi: I got the list of documents to bring to the interview, and it says: "HS diploma and college diploma with transcripts. If attended outside the US, submit evaluation certificate from a foreign credential evaluation service." I have an official transcript from school in my home country with the English translation issued by my University. Do I still need to order the evaluation from WES??

Also, I have non immigrant visa- what proof the officer is likely to ask for to prove that I did not have an immigrant intent?

Hi: I got the list of documents to bring to the interview, and it says: "HS diploma and college diploma with transcripts. If attended outside the US, submit evaluation certificate from a foreign credential evaluation service." I have an official transcript from school in my home country with the English translation issued by my University. Do I still need to order the evaluation from WES??

Also, I have non immigrant visa- what proof the officer is likely to ask for to prove that I did not have an immigrant intent?

1. Is the quote about transcript evaluation from your IL or from the AOS spreadsheet?

2. The IO isn't going to ask you to present some proof indicating your immigrant intent or lack of it. They will review your actions to determine that if applicable - as in did you misrepresent yourself when you applied for your NIV, did you enter the US on a NIV and immediately filed for AOS, etc.

1. its from IL
2. If somebody changes from one NIV to another NIV and in the mean time applies for H1B ( not selected in lottery but the LCA has been certified), and applies for GC (Labor certification stage only) almost right after getting the NIV visa? Is it a problem?