• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hello, I received my green card and am wondering what the process is if I marry someone who is not a us citizen or permanent resident? Will they be able to come to the US and live with me?

Yes, you sponsor the person. Spousal sponsorship currently takes an average of two years to process.

The information from KCC regarding FTJ is wrong. In order for your husband to process FTJ, you do need to submit an I-824 like USCIS said, they will in turn forward your file to your home embassy who then schedules your husband for an interview based on their work schedule.

You should have informed the IO that interviewed your about your husband processing FTJ and request to submit the I-824 at the end of your interview (to gain your some processing time and by-pass going through the Lockbox submission process). I suggest you fill out the form and go for an INFOPASS. Explain to them your DV based AOS petition has been approved and your husband is processing FTJ, you'll need to impress on them the urgency involved as your husband will not be able to benefit from your selection if he's not interviewed and approved by Sept 30th COB.

Hi,
Thank you so much for the information. I am quite stressed that my husband won't be able to join me here :(
I am working with a lawyer but she has clearly stated to me that she does not know about the I-824 process but she will try her due diligence to find out. So any information that you can provide me would be greatly appreciated!

1) So, do I not send the I-824 application by mail in the same way I sent my I-485 application?
2) If I understood you correctly, I should fill out the form and schedule an info pass appointment and then take that filled out form to the appointment? However, by the time I actually get the appointment and have not mail the form, won't I have lost more time?
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, and I apologize for this misunderstanding. Can you kindly list the steps that I should take?

Thank you in advance.

Hi: Since there is only less then two months left, I am getting anxious. I have an infopass scheduled for next Monday, August 14. I am sure that my FO did not do anything in ma case. I am afraid that at the infopass I will start crying or will be asked to leave again ( on my 1st Infopass I was told that they provided sufficient information-"we are working on your case" - and that I "may leave now"). How long does it take to adjudicate the case (getting the file from KCC, background check etc.)? I know I should follow up on a regular basis, but I am not sure it is going to be enough. Is this the time when I should ask a congress person for help? Is remaining 7 weeks enough time to process my case?

Hi: Since there is only less then two months left, I am getting anxious. I have an infopass scheduled for next Monday, August 14. I am sure that my FO did not do anything in ma case. I am afraid that at the infopass I will start crying or will be asked to leave again ( on my 1st Infopass I was told that they provided sufficient information-"we are working on your case" - and that I "may leave now"). How long does it take to adjudicate the case (getting the file from KCC, background check etc.)? I know I should follow up on a regular basis, but I am not sure it is going to be enough. Is this the time when I should ask a congress person for help? Is remaining 7 weeks enough time to process my case?

You have not provided enough information for us to help you. Have you done your biometrics or received any other NOA's? Are you just waiting for the back ground check?

If you are waiting for your back ground check then there is nothing you can do to speed it up.

One the first page of this forum you will find links to an AOS timelines spreadsheet. This will give you an idea of how long things are taking. Make you you add your own details to help others.

A few pages back, there is information on what to ask the officer at your Infopass appointment.

Hi,

I am working with a lawyer but she has clearly stated to me that she does not know about the I-824 process but she will try her due diligence to find out. So any information that you can provide me would be greatly appreciated!

I'll wait for mom to give you details on the process but i desperately hope you are not paying this lawyer for not knowing what to do.

Hi,
Thank you so much for the information. I am quite stressed that my husband won't be able to join me here :(

1) So, do I not send the I-824 application by mail in the same way I sent my I-485 application?
2) If I understood you correctly, I should fill out the form and schedule an info pass appointment and then take that filled out form to the appointment? However, by the time I actually get the appointment and have not mail the form, won't I have lost more time?
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, and I apologize for this misunderstanding. Can you kindly list the steps that I should take?

Thank you in advance.

Time is definitely not on your side and I feel like you're dragging your feet over this, could be wrong but ...

This is not the time to be relying on some lawyer, you need to be proactive and work on this yourself. I already told you to fill out the form, go over to your FO and try to submit it in person. If you there's no open slot for an early INFOPASS, attempt a walk in. Cry, beg, cajole, do whatever at the gate to get the security guys on your side and let you in.

If you meet with an IO who doesn't seem to understand the significance of the time pressure you're dealing with, politely request to speak with a supervisor. Take along all of your documents and all other documents/evidence to convince them your husband will not be eligible for this benefit if he doesn't get an interview by 9/30.

By the way, here's the story of a DV 2015 selectee whose wife did FTJ. The selectee was interviewed on 7/23 and th wife successful interviewed and got approved by 9/28.

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2015-aos-only.7/page-209#post-2417438

Mind you, you don't present the I-824 right away, you only need to have it prepared just in case. All you want to emphasis to them is the fact that they need to forward your case file to the US embassy in your home country where your husband will be interviewing.

This is all on you. No lawyer can help you with this IMO!

Yes you should have reached out to your congress person by now. I suggest you reach out to them today, they should hopefully get a response back before your 8/14 scheduled INFOPASS.

And if you end up going on the INFOPASS, be calm and composed, be prepared, ask the right set of questions.

I'll wait for mom to give you details on the process but i desperately hope you are not paying this lawyer for not knowing what to do.

Right! Plus this is really on her, she has to do the leg work, if she hopes to get this resolved by 9/30. It's such a shame she didn't even try to understand the FTJ process before jumping at the option.

Yes you should have reached out to your congress person by now. I suggest you reach out to them today, they should hopefully get a response back before your 8/14 scheduled INFOPASS.

And if you end up going on the INFOPASS, be calm and composed, be prepared, ask the right set of questions.

Thank you.

I want to reach out to the congress person today. Where on the spreadsheet can I find any tips on how to do it? Should it be sent via certified mail, e-mail, or should I call there?

Thank you.

I want to reach out to the congress person today. Where on the spreadsheet can I find any tips on how to do it? Should it be sent via certified mail, e-mail, or should I call there?

The only tip on the spreadsheet is on how to locate your congress person, you'll need to check on one of the tabs to find it. There's no tip on how to contact them. You'll need to use your discretion on that. Take a look at the congress person's website to determine the best form of contact.

The only tip on the spreadsheet is on how to locate your congress person, you'll need to check on one of the tabs to find it. There's no tip on how to contact them. You'll need to use your discretion on that. Take a look at the congress person's website to determine the best form of contact.
So, I sent an e-mail and called the office of my congressman. The person from the office told me to just come tomorrow in person so I can have my case expedited.o_O

So, I sent an e-mail and called the office of my congressman. The person from the office told me to just come tomorrow in person so I can have my case expedited.o_O

They basically want to talk to you in person and understand what your case is about, the efforts you've been, what the deadline is about, etc before they send in a follow up request to your FO. It's not like they can actually request or authorize USCIS to expedite the case per se. But make sure you attend the meeting fully prepared and with all the necessary documents.

Hi mom,
This is the email that my senator office replied me after contacting USCIS. They were told that my case is under background check and USCIS can't do anything.

"I sincerely regret that this response from USCIS cannot be more favorable at this time. However, if you can provide my office with your Social Security Number, we can contact the Office of Personnel Management to request expedited processing of the background check. I cannot guarantee a favorable outcome, but we certainly can request on your behalf. "

My question is that is Office of Personnel Management responsible for our background check (I thought FBI) or they misunderstood my case?

Last edited:
Hi mom,
This is the email that my senator office replied me after contacting USCIS. They were told that my case is under background check and USCIS can't do anything.

"I sincerely regret that this response from USCIS cannot be more favorable at this time. However, if you can provide my office with your Social Security Number, we can contact the Office of Personnel Management to request expedited processing of the background check. I cannot guarantee a favorable outcome, but we certainly can request on your behalf. "

My question is that is Office of Personnel Management responsible for our background check (I thought FBI) or they misunderstood my case?

It's possible the person whe sent you the email isn't quite aware of the fact that for immigration purpose, the FBI is saddled with the task of conducting the background check and not the Office of Personnel Management which is responsible for conducting background checks on federal government job applicants.

It's obvious your case is delayed due to the pending background check - your IO told you this at the end of your interview if I recollect. So you may want to respond and let them know you think the expedite request should go to the FBI office.

So I had my interview today. It only took 5-8 minutes. Basic questions and it was over. After the interview I asked if the case was approved and the officer said that there is a background check that needs to clear yet (I am confused about this as my biometric background check cleared in mid February...). The officer was very nice and polite throughout and gave me a letter (sheet of paper) that shows the date, application and officers name and then it says (paraphrasing):

TODAY:

1. Your application/petition has been recommended for approval

2. A decision cannot yet be made about your application/petition

3. A request for evidence has been issued

4. You must return to the field office to conduct your identity verification

On this letter the second option was highlighted. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thank you

They basically want to talk to you in person and understand what your case is about, the efforts you've been, what the deadline is about, etc before they send in a follow up request to your FO. It's not like they can actually request or authorize USCIS to expedite the case per se. But make sure you attend the meeting fully prepared and with all the necessary documents.
On the way to the congressman I called KCC and USCIS: My file from KCC was requested and sent yesterday, and IL has been sent to my address on August 3. Should I still meet the congressman or just wait for IL, infopass and interview?

So I had my interview today. It only took 5-8 minutes. Basic questions and it was over. After the interview I asked if the case was approved and the officer said that there is a background check that needs to clear yet (I am confused about this as my biometric background check cleared in mid February...). The officer was very nice and polite throughout and gave me a letter (sheet of paper) that shows the date, application and officers name and then it says (paraphrasing):

TODAY:

On this letter the second option was highlighted. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thank you

I got a similar sheet at mine but there was an option that said that the background check had to be cleared before making a decision. -Strange that it is not on yours.

@Sm1smom after seeing this post, what I had done 3 days after my interview is what this letter calls "identity verification." I didn't know this existed until this post, but just googled it and there's a USCIS memo that says this should be normal protocol starting in August 2013. Gives me hope that the background check is not repeated and they're just following this old rule now.

On the way to the congressman I called KCC and USCIS: My file from KCC was requested and sent yesterday, and IL has been sent to my address on August 3. Should I still meet the congressman or just wait for IL, infopass and interview?

If you have a booked appointment with your congress man's office, I suggest you still keep it and tell them what USCIS told you on the phone.

If you're just doing a drop in, then I recommend you wait a couple of days for the IL to show up.

I got a similar sheet at mine but there was an option that said that the background check had to be cleared before making a decision. -Strange that it is not on yours.

@Sm1smom after seeing this post, what I had done 3 days after my interview is what this letter calls "identity verification." I didn't know this existed until this post, but just googled it and there's a USCIS memo that says this should be normal protocol starting in August 2013. Gives me hope that the background check is not repeated and they're just following this old rule now.

Doesn't the memo say CIV is done before the interview? You were called a couple of days after your interview. And the document you were given at the end of your interview did indicate your background check was still pending anyways.

TODAY:

Thank you

It's possible your IO isn't authorized to approve the petition on his and needs his supervisor to review before approval. I don't see a need to stress or worry at this stage.