• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

I've never heard of that as a reason, but if the children have got green cards then that surely that is all they need as evidence of "approval"? Have you shown them the green cards for the children?
Thanks for your reply;
All of us had the interview here as you know our story DV 2015 selectee and all of us went for AOS interview and all of us with our children received the phesical plastic GC .
yes they took copy from all of our GC and when we didn't get the children's SSN, I gave them extra documents such as the translated birth certificate and the passports for both of our children. They told us they are pending and the homeland security asked for more paper and we submitted the passport and the BC ( that done more than 40 days). And still no news until today although we applied together as a family at the same time since September first week .

Last edited:
Forgive me for not remembering all the details of every case here.

It sounds very strange to me, I'm not sure what to suggest. Possibly time to contact your congressperson.

Forgive me for not remembering all the details of every case here.

It sounds very strange to me, I'm not sure what to suggest. Possibly time to contact your congressperson.
Thanks a lot, I will contact the congressman if we didn't hear from the SSN admin this week or so, the SSN office told us the uscis says by 11/23 will make the approval or the last decision. I will update any news.
Blessings

Thanks for your reply;
All of us had the interview here as you know our story DV 2015 selectee and all of us went for AOS interview and all of us with our children received the phesical plastic GC .
yes they took copy from all of our GC and when we didn't get the children's SSN, I gave them extra documents such as the translated birth certificate and the passports for both of our children. They told us they are pending and the homeland security asked for more paper and we submitted the passport and the BC ( that done more than 40 days). And still no news until today although we applied together as a family at the same time since September first week .

I suggest you schedule an INFOPASS appointment and visit your FO to explain the issues you're having with getting your kids' SSN. Tell them precisely what you were told about your kids not being approved, it's possibly your kids information got mixed up by USCIS prior to your being approved. If that is the case, your kids SSN will definitely not be issued until that is sorted out.

One thing you should do though before making an INFOPASS appointment is to first of all take a very close look at the names on your kids' green cards. Are they spelt correctly and in the correct order as listed on their birth certificates/passports? If the names are switched around, for instance middle name used in place of the first name and vice versa, their SSN will not be issued until that's rectified. Are the dates of birth listed for each person correct? Their sex? Also take a close look at copies of the I-485 forms you submitted for your kids (I'm assuming you still have copies of those) - are their information correctly listed on those forms?

I suggest you schedule an INFOPASS appointment and visit your FO to explain the issues you're having with getting your kids' SSN. Tell them precisely what you were told about your kids not being approved, it's possibly your kids information got mixed up by USCIS prior to your being approved. If that is the case, your kids SSN will definitely not be issued until that is sorted out.

One thing you should do though before making an INFOPASS appointment is to first of all take a very close look at the names on your kids' green cards. Are they spelt correctly and in the correct order as listed on their birth certificates/passports? If the names are switched around, for instance middle name used in place of the first name and vice versa, their SSN will not be issued until that's rectified. Are the dates of birth listed for each person correct? Their sex? Also take a close look at copies of the I-485 forms you submitted for your kids (I'm assuming you still have copies of those) - are their information correctly listed on those forms?
Thanks Mom for your time;
I reviewed everything and nothing wrong except something I don't think it's a problem in my opinion, our names as egypt passport written like:
Given name, father's name , grand father's name and last name which is also grand grand father. ( it's not our choice) for example my daughter name according to the passport and the I-485 form :
A B C D
The green card comes A B D ( given name + first letter of the father's name and family name but in the back of GC comes the whole name in order like the passport and BC and I-485.
That's happened with all of us. Even our SSN comes the same like GC.
Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Mom for your time;
I reviewed everything and nothing wrong except something I don't think it's a problem in my opinion, our names as egypt passport written like:
Given name, father's name , grand father's name and last name which is also grand grand father. ( it's not our choice) for example my daughter name according to the passport and the I-485 form :
A B C D
The green card comes A B D ( given name + first letter of the father's name and family name.
That's happened with all of us. Even our SSN comes the same like GC.
Thanks

For the SSN application, how did you write your children's names? Did you match them to the GC as in "A B D" or you matched them to the Egyptian passport which is "A B C D"?

The same like the GC and they took copies from the GC s and the BC.

Hmmn! It sounds like you did everything correctly from your end. However, I'm still thinking the delay could possibly have to do with the name issue. SSA is probably experiencing some sort of difficulties verifying your children's names in the SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements) system. SAVE is a web-based service administered by the Verification Division of the USCIS, this is where SSA logs into to verify an Alien's information. Since the USCIS Verification Office runs the SAVE system, I will actually suggest you contact them first, in place of making an INFOPASS appointment which I earlier suggested. USCIS Verification Programs Contact Center: 1-888-464-4218, E-mail Address: SAVE.HELP@dhs.gov

Hmmn! It sounds like you did everything correctly from your end. However, I'm still thinking the delay could possibly have to do with the name issue. SSA is probably experiencing some sort of difficulties verifying your children's names in the SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements) system. SAVE is a web-based service administered by the Verification Division of the USCIS, this is where SSA logs into to verify an Alien's information. Since the USCIS Verification Office runs the SAVE system, I will actually suggest you contact them first, in place of making an INFOPASS appointment which I earlier suggested. USCIS Verification Programs Contact Center: 1-888-464-4218, E-mail Address: SAVE.HELP@dhs.gov
Ok I will, thanks again for your help
We appreciate you
Bless you

Hi there, I just would like to share something maybe usfull for others:

I have a friend was CP dv2015, he came here and received the SSN for the children without applying for them and before 21 days after the arrival . I believe it related to the ds-260 form question which authortize the government to issue the SSN . But for the adults they told the parent you have to come to apply after 21 days from your arrival, if you don't get it by 21 days from your arrival date you can apply.
Is it diffrent than the AOS process? Because we applied for all (children and adults) next day if receiving the GC?

Also Please let me know if it's ok to write here or should be in another forum, yo not make any confusion.
Thanks

Mom and Susie, we praise our God, the uscis verified our children's SSN. It took exactly 70 days. They send the letter by mail saying we will get them after 2 weeks so that will be 2 months & 25 days. But it's done at the end.

I don't know what happened, maybe as AOS we had to wait for 21 days after the GC approval to see if the uscis send it oand if not then we can apply after the 21 days? But they didn't say anything when we went to apply, they say to those who came overseas.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Oh.. by the way if I want to travel to my home country for one month visit, all what u need is my passport, GC ? Or there is any other paper or I-20 ? Does it need to apply for exit permitt to be able to return back ? Please advise.

Oh.. by the way if I want to travel to my home country for one month visit, all what u need is my passport, GC ? Or there is any other paper or I-20 ? Does it need to apply for exit permitt to be able to return back ? Please advise.

If you have a green card then that and your passport is all you need. You only need to apply for a re-entry permit if you expect to be gone longer than 12 months.

Mom and Susie, we praise our God, the uscis verified our children's SSN. It took exactly 70 days. They send the letter by mail saying we will get them after 2 weeks so that will be 2 months & 25 days. But it's done at the end.

I don't know what happened, maybe as AOS we had to wait for 21 days after the GC approval to see if the uscis send it oand if not then we can apply after the 21 days? But they didn't say anything when we went to apply, they say to those who came overseas.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Congratulations on getting things resolved at last.

Regardless of what option was selected on the DS-260 form, USCIS does not send in SSN request on behalf of petitioners upon approval, unlike what's done for CP people upon arrival. So waiting 21 days for a possible arrival of the SSN card in the mail is not applicable. For whatever reason, they had a had time verifying your kids status. It's irrelevant now anyways, your case got resolved.

All you need to return back to the US after traveling back home is your passport and GC. The US does not issue exit permit.

Congratulations on getting things resolved at last.

Regardless of what option was selected on the DS-260 form, USCIS does not send in SSN request on behalf of petitioners upon approval, unlike what's done for CP people upon arrival. So waiting 21 days for a possible arrival of the SSN card in the mail is not applicable. For whatever reason, they had a had time verifying your kids status. It's irrelevant now anyways, your case got resolved.

All you need to return back to the US after traveling back home is your passport and GC. The US does not issue exit permit.
Thanks so much. Blessings

Hi friends,
My friend has GC and came to the usa as dv 2015 lottery CP, she applied for the spouse to come here 45 days after she arrived and received her GC.

She would like to leave the usa and go to the home country because it's not easy for her to stay with her children without her husband.
what is the maximum time allowed to stay out of the usa. And if there is any action needs to be done before leaving?
Thanks

Hi Mom,

I am currently on an F1 doing my OPT. I was one of the winners for the 2017 DV lottery. I am doing AOS. I work full time and I am above the poverty lines. Do I still need to file a I-134 and find a petitioner for me? I can prove everything through my pay stubs.

Thanks so much!

Hi Mom,

I am currently on an F1 doing my OPT. I was one of the winners for the 2017 DV lottery. I am doing AOS. I work full time and I am above the poverty lines. Do I still need to file a I-134 and find a petitioner for me? I can prove everything through my pay stubs.

Thanks so much!

In this forum, and most likely in several others, the expectation is that when a person posts a question, they return to the particular Thread to check out the response and not re-post the same question on another, and in this case older Thread.

I already answered your previous post
http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2017-aos-only.331328/page-80#post-2449044