• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

1. It is never a good idea to provide unsolicited information when it comes to immigration matters. Only answer the questions you're asked, provide only what the IO is requesting to see. If the IO thinks an affidavit is required and you've not included one with your AOS package they will request for it. Providing unsolicited information more often than not leads to complications.

2. There's no need for a notarized affidavit, it doesn't add any more weight to its authenticity than the documents you will be providing in support of whatever you've stated on the form.

Don't overthink the process, keep it simple.

May I ask you, however, for some examples of complications? Will the FO take extra time to check the signor's background? Will they ask why I did not send I-134 in the first place? Will they ...? Seems counter intuitive that a document that is supposed to corroborate one's case can actually convolute it.

Hi,
I don't know the correct definition of "PUBLIC ASSISTANCE". I am confused to answer the question "Have you ever received public assistance from any source, including the us Government or any state, county, city or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment) or are you likely to receive public assistance in future"? in I-485 form.
I have OBAMACARE INSURANCE, but I don't understand that is considered public assistance or not? (I asked from HEALTHCARE.GOV representative twice, one answered yes , another one answered no !!!
Thanks.

Hello,

My case number is AS56XX, looking at the current Visa Bulletins, I am guessing that my number might be current around June or July. I finish my graduation at that time and I found a job that requires me to move to another state for a month for training and then move to another location to begin working.
1. If I file the I-485 from my current home address and then move to another state for training, can I still complete the process from my current location ?
2. Will I have to transfer my case to that state ?
3. If I travel back and forth to complete the process, will there be a problem?
4. What is the process to change the mailing address once I have already given them the mailing address for where I want the GC to be shipped ? Are there any consequences if I change the address ?

1. Yes you can.
2. The assumption is the state where your training will be taking place is a temporary location.
3. No. See two above.
4. Changing ones address after starting the AOS process, especially if the new address causes your petition to fall under the jurisdiction of a new FO is not a good idea. If your new address falls under the jurisdiction of a new FO, the old FO will no longer adjudicate your case, they'll need to transfer the case file to the new FO with the jurisdiction, there could be further delays as a result of this. However, if you must change your address, use the following link:

https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAInitForm.do;jsessionid=B29D61EFDD5E51C4C20E7FC724EE58A2

May I ask you, however, for some examples of complications? Will the FO take extra time to check the signor's background? Will they ask why I did not send I-134 in the first place? Will they ...? Seems counter intuitive that a document that is supposed to corroborate one's case can actually convolute it.

Sheez! Why are you dragging this? Bear in mind there's no written rule that a DV applicant must include an affidavit of support with their AOS package. There are several other factors IOs take into consideration in determining if one is likely to become a public charge or not. By all means preempt the IO and present the affidavit when you show up for your interview.

The reason this document and the other financial evidence documents are listed on the AOS spreadsheet is for the possibility of getting the IO to review the petition and possibly approve the case without an interview in the first place. However because of the difficulty often associated with getting an affidavit of support, I do encourage the submission of the AOS package without it since it can always be presented at the time of the interview, if required. I have never said it is always required, it's not even listed on USCIS's website under what is required for a DV based AOS petition, yet IOs have been known to sometimes ask for it.

Anyway, do what you consider best/right for your case.

Hi,
I don't know the correct definition of "PUBLIC ASSISTANCE". I am confused to answer the question "Have you ever received public assistance from any source, including the us Government or any state, county, city or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment) or are you likely to receive public assistance in future"? in I-485 form.
I have OBAMACARE INSURANCE, but I don't understand that is considered public assistance or not? (I asked from HEALTHCARE.GOV representative twice, one answered yes , another one answered no !!!
Thanks.

OBAMACARE insurance does not constitute public assistance.

Public Charge Fact Sheet:
https://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/public-charge-fact-sheet

I feel bad for asking so many questions, but they just keep coming...About I-134:

1. "Relationship to sponsor": This was my host family during my high school exchange year (4 years ago). Should he just insert "Family friend" or something?

2. "duplicate evidence of income and resources"

a) What would be a satisfactory "duplicate evidence" of D. List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s)? Would a printed or written list by me be enough, or does it have to be something more official?

b) Is this information not mentioned in the taxes? I have no idea, as I never saw a US tax statement. And, if it is not mentioned in the taxes, then from where can I get this information? From my sponsor's individual investing accounts, from his 401(k), from ...?!

3. "Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institutions with deposits, identifying the following details regarding the account: 1. Date account opened 2. Total amount deposited for the past year; and 3. Present balance." Is such a statement now offered online, or is it obtained solely in person?

I am very grateful for your help, mom! I wish the US government had a similar forum...

OBAMACARE insurance does not constitute public assistance.

Public Charge Fact Sheet:

Thank you so much for your response.
Actually it was my question too! I have got Obamacare (Premium Tax credit) for my wife's Health insurance too.
As you mentioned, all the references in USCIS and HealtCare.gov explicitly emphasize that it would not be considered as "Public Charge", but I've really confused how to answer following question of I-485, Yes or No?!!

"Have you ever received public assistance from any source, including the us Government or any state, county, city or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment) or are you likely to receive public assistance in future"?

Based on your response, do you mean the answer of this question would be "NO" in this condition? So this question just asks about "public charge" and just the cases with the probability of considering as "public charge" should answer Yes to this question?
I would definitely prefer to answer NO, but I'm just worried that the officer thinks I have concealed this point and he/she considers this as dishonestly and falsification which I've heard that it would have a very bad impact on the process of getting GC. Because applying for ObamaCare needs SSN and it's definitely available in our record!

Does anybody have the same experience (having Obamacare and answering NO to this question)? Did the officers ask in this regards in the interview?
Are there any same cases in this year or previous years which help us in answering this question?

Thanks.

I feel bad for asking so many questions, but they just keep coming...About I-134:

1. "Relationship to sponsor": This was my host family during my high school exchange year (4 years ago). Should he just insert "Family friend" or something?

2. "duplicate evidence of income and resources"

a) What would be a satisfactory "duplicate evidence" of D. List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s)? Would a printed or written list by me be enough, or does it have to be something more official?

b) Is this information not mentioned in the taxes? I have no idea, as I never saw a US tax statement. And, if it is not mentioned in the taxes, then from where can I get this information? From my sponsor's individual investing accounts, from his 401(k), from ...?!

3. "Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institutions with deposits, identifying the following details regarding the account: 1. Date account opened 2. Total amount deposited for the past year; and 3. Present balance." Is such a statement now offered online, or is it obtained solely in person?

I am very grateful for your help, mom! I wish the US government had a similar forum...

1. If he's considered to be a family friend, then he should list himself as such.

2. This question is a classic evidence of overthinking the process. You're clearly misinterpreting what it is asking for - it's basically saying submit duplicate copies of whatever form of evidence you're sending in in support of the affidavit. That used to be a requirement several years back (when the I-134 was assumed/considered enforceable). Petitioners are no longer required to submit extra copies of the proof they're sending in.

A. See 2 above. You may handprint/list/type this. Just make sure it is legible.

B. Immaterial whether it's listed on the tax statement or not. The I-134 instructions requires a list of such bonds to be included with the form, follow the instructions.

3. Contact your bank and ask them.

Hello
Thank you for your help. I have a question about translation documents.
Does certified translation need to notarize? or just Certification by Translator based on format USCIS website will be enough ?

Hello
Thank you for your help. I have a question about translation documents.
Does certified translation need to notarize? or just Certification by Translator based on format USCIS website will be enough ?

The signed certification statement alone will do. There is no requirement to notarize it.

Hi,
I received my interview letter! It the letter states that I should bring I-864 affidavit of support. In an earlier post (#1591) you mentioned that the I-134 is the applicable form (not I-864) for DV based AOS petition. Did USCIS make a mistake in telling me to bring I-864? Also, the time for the interview says 10:00 PM. I can't imagine that they are doing interviews at 10:00 pm. Should I contact the office to verify the time? Thanks!

Hi,
I received my interview letter! It the letter states that I should bring I-864 affidavit of support. In an earlier post (#1591) you mentioned that the I-134 is the applicable form (not I-864) for DV based AOS petition. Did USCIS make a mistake in telling me to bring I-864? Also, the time for the interview says 10:00 PM. I can't imagine that they are doing interviews at 10:00 pm. Should I contact the office to verify the time? Thanks!

10:00pm. What a bunch of muppets. Certainly call them to confirm the time.

As Mom has said, use the I-134 not the I-864.

Hi,

Your IL is a generic one, ignore the I-864 request, go with an I-134 if you require an affidavit to overcome public charge concerns.

Yes contact the FO to confirm the actual interview time. That 10pm timing is most likely a typo. You may have to visit your FO in person to confirm the time, you don't want to miss your appointment.

Mom,
Is there any way to contact the FO without infopass? The phone number which is in their website is the nationwide customer service number and there is not also any email addresses. Is there any way I can call the FO?

Mom,
Is there any way to contact the FO without infopass? The phone number which is in their website is the nationwide customer service number and there is not also any email addresses. Is there any way I can call the FO?

There are no listed direct email address or phone numbers for the FOs. You'll have to go to your FO if you wish to make direct contact.

There are no listed direct email address or phone numbers for the FOs. You'll have to go to your FO if you wish to make direct contact.

Does FO accept infopass without appointments? there no appointments available for the next two weeks which is also new year and I am moving to different state soon, I was wondering if I they allow me to go there without a previous appointment and talk to some one regarding my interview. Do you think this may be possible?

Does FO accept infopass without appointments? there no appointments available for the next two weeks which is also new year and I am moving to different state soon, I was wondering if I they allow me to go there without a previous appointment and talk to some one regarding my interview. Do you think this may be possible?

The INFOPASS process was specifically put in place to guard against people dropping in at the FO without an appointment. Some FOs may allow a drop in if one had a compelling reason which cannot wait for an appointment.

I don't see a compelling reason in your case though. They sent you your IL already, but you sent it back to them because the date wasn't convenient for you - you didn't seem to realize they scheduled your case ahead of some other family and/or employment based cases they already had on hand before yours came in since DV petitions are time sensitive.

Anyway regardless of what I've said, you may attempt a walk in and hope the guards allow you in without an appointment.

Based on the experience of others in this forum does anybody know if USCIS (Field Officce) schedules interviews during the holiday season?
Thanks, Luis

Based on the experience of others in this forum does anybody know if USCIS (Field Officce) schedules interviews during the holiday season?
Thanks, Luis

Based on others' experiences USCIS sends the IL about a month before the actual interview date. Therefore, if you didn't get the letter yet, I guess, your interview is not going to be scheduled for this holidays.

One more question regarding the I-134. "I intend/do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of the person(s) named in item 3." Is this the essence of the I-134, or is this extra? Would checking "I do not intend" defeat the purpose of the I-134, or would the government still be satisfied with such an affidavit of support?

I thought this item is the important part, which would convince the government that I would not become a public charge, since someone intends to back me up in such a scenario. However, my sponsor thinks it is unnecessary, as I do not require assistance at the moment; he thought this item is directed towards spouses/other relatives who come outside of the US for the first time, and do not go to college (unlike me, F-1) or have a job yet.

So, how should we interpret this point?

Thank you!