• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners from South Africa

SOOO happy!! After 10 long years of entering the DV Lottery, we have our interview date set for 30 August!!:):):)
Congrats. Make sure for all elements that you do control that you won't unnecessarily be put on AP. As you know, there will be one month left for visa issuance after the day of your consular interview. Of course there are certain aspects you simply won't be able to control. Good luck!

Wow, congratz to the lucky winners! Wow !! 10 years? That is a long time to try , some wouldve already given up,haha.Much Congratulations though ..Not South African , im Namibian , but you hardly find Namibians on these forums , so since SA is a close neighbour I decided to lurk a bit on this post haha, hope no one minds :).. I am pretty new to this only started last year for dv2017 , and didnt get selected ..but not gonna give up, waiting on October, but I will be more ready this time . . Congrats again ...end of long speech :D

Thanks a lot. My brother in-law tried for 4 years and won. My parents in-law are citizens and have been in the USA for 15 years. So we have motivation to keep trying every year. We are now just waiting to go to our medical exam in 2 weeks, then the interview. I must say we have had a problem-less process so far and the consulate has been very helpful. Does anyone know where I can get more info on the medical history records we need to supply for the exam?

Thanks a lot. My brother in-law tried for 4 years and won. My parents in-law are citizens and have been in the USA for 15 years. So we have motivation to keep trying every year. We are now just waiting to go to our medical exam in 2 weeks, then the interview. I must say we have had a problem-less process so far and the consulate has been very helpful. Does anyone know where I can get more info on the medical history records we need to supply for the exam?

In SA? If you have vaccination records etc take them, if you don't have them any more don't worry about it. The doctor will ask you various questions about your medical history during the process. We only had our kids vaccination cards, nothing else and it wasn't a problem.

In SA? If you have vaccination records etc take them, if you don't have them any more don't worry about it. The doctor will ask you various questions about your medical history during the process. We only had our kids vaccination cards, nothing else and it wasn't a problem.
Thanks for that. Yes it is in SA. I was informed that I need letters for psychiatrists, as both me and my husband have been treated for PTSD.

Thanks for that. Yes it is in SA. I was informed that I need letters for psychiatrists, as both me and my husband have been treated for PTSD.

Informed by the doctor? Their office is the best placed to tell you what you need.

Now another question: Financial Records. What is it exactly that they need. I understand we have to show we won't become a public charge. But what do we have to take with to show? We already sold our house years ago, because we did not want to be burdened with selling a house when we have to leave. We will only have my husbands pension and the money from the sale of our car and household. From what I have read, my father in-law can fill out the I-134 and send that to us with his tax returns and pay slip. He is not very happy with that idea, as they did not have to do that when my brother in-law won. I really urgently need help with this.

Now another question: Financial Records. What is it exactly that they need. I understand we have to show we won't become a public charge. But what do we have to take with to show? We already sold our house years ago, because we did not want to be burdened with selling a house when we have to leave. We will only have my husbands pension and the money from the sale of our car and household. From what I have read, my father in-law can fill out the I-134 and send that to us with his tax returns and pay slip. He is not very happy with that idea, as they did not have to do that when my brother in-law won. I really urgently need help with this.

Happy ornot, get the father in law to do the I134. Don't take a risk with an interview so late in the year.

UPDATE: Father in law did I-134 and sent to us. we are keeping all his documents in the sealed envelope. If they don't need it during the interview, we will send it back to my father in law. Medicals went very well. Now a new question: We need to have our High-school Testimonials translated into English. Can anyone that is very knowledgeable in both languages do the translation and sign it? I don't know what to do about that.

UPDATE: Father in law did I-134 and sent to us. we are keeping all his documents in the sealed envelope. If they don't need it during the interview, we will send it back to my father in law. Medicals went very well. Now a new question: We need to have our High-school Testimonials translated into English. Can anyone that is very knowledgeable in both languages do the translation and sign it? I don't know what to do about that.

Yes anyone outside of you, your husband or a family member, can do the translation as long as they include a signed certification stating they're fluent both in English and the language in which the document is written.

Yes anyone outside of you, your husband or a family member, can do the translation as long as they include a signed certification stating they're fluent both in English and the language in which the document is written.
So it does not have to be on the same letterhead or by a professional?

Yay!!! USA here we come!!! We got our Greencards and will be leaving in 2 months. Thank you to everyone that helped with my questions and queries.:)

Yay!!! USA here we come!!! We got our Greencards and will be leaving in 2 months. Thank you to everyone that helped with my questions and queries.:)

I presume you mean you got your immigrant visas ;) but yay congratulations and all the best with the big move!
Be sure to check out Facebook - there are SA groups just about everywhere in the US if you think that kind of thing will help you settle down wherever you end up. (And bring jelly tots, it's about the one SA thing you just can't get here!!!!)

I presume you mean you got your immigrant visas ;) but yay congratulations and all the best with the big move!
Be sure to check out Facebook - there are SA groups just about everywhere in the US if you think that kind of thing will help you settle down wherever you end up. (And bring jelly tots, it's about the one SA thing you just can't get here!!!!)
Yes. Sorry excitement levels are running high. We will be living with family for a month or two and we already have a good friend base in the US. Contact Beef Country(Facebook) about those Jelly Tots. It's family friends that import SA foods to the USA.

Yes. Sorry excitement levels are running high. We will be living with family for a month or two and we already have a good friend base in the US. Contact Beef Country(Facebook) about those Jelly Tots. It's family friends that import SA foods to the USA.

I've yet to find a local supplier of them but will check that one out. Someone told me you can't get them here because of some FDA thing. It's generally very easy to get just about anything else. Seen nandos sauces at a local supermarket, Mrs balls chutney is available in many food stores too. Friends always bring back jelly tots from visits!

I've yet to find a local supplier of them but will check that one out. Someone told me you can't get them here because of some FDA thing. It's generally very easy to get just about anything else. Seen nandos sauces at a local supermarket, Mrs balls chutney is available in many food stores too. Friends always bring back jelly tots from visits!
I know they have difficulty with cream soda products. She has so many SA products, including the above mentioned and stuff like Aeromat, Ina Paarman, Aeros and even beers. They started with biltong and wors products from home and it ballooned into a business.

I know they have difficulty with cream soda products. She has so many SA products, including the above mentioned and stuff like Aeromat, Ina Paarman, Aeros and even beers. They started with biltong and wors products from home and it ballooned into a business.

There are a number of British shops that have a lot of the chocolates - aeros, crunchies etc are quite easy to get. The British shop in Santa Monica also stocks a number of SA things, like Romany creams :D oh yeah. World Market stocks British and SA things (as well as delicious German stuff) and there is a chain on the east coast (something like shop n save? Can't remember name) that often has SA stuff.
As for aromat, that stuff is terrible for you!!! Look for something here called spike seasoning, like aromat except all natural herbs/spices rather than almost all MSG like aromat is.
Cream soda here is completely different to cream soda in SA!!!