• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

So I know the address we put down on our DS260 is able to be changed right up to the POE for activation, but I unfortunately don't think I'll be able to find anyone whose address I can put down (and I'll be doing an activation trip, then coming back to Aus for another 6 months or so before moving over for good, so won't have a place tee'd up then).

I've come up with two hare-brained ideas that I hope aren't too hare-brained (not liking my chances, but here goes!):
1. Can I open up a PO Box that I can have the GC sent to? Does anyone know if this will be an impossible feat without a SSN?
2. Can I have it sent to a parcel-forwarding service and then sent to me in Australia?

For the interim I'm just going to put down a hotel address so I can submit my DS260, but the logistics of actually getting my physical GC are stressing me out a little bit.
I'm in the same boat. I'm curious what others have done if they don't know anyone in the USA.

So I know the address we put down on our DS260 is able to be changed right up to the POE for activation, but I unfortunately don't think I'll be able to find anyone whose address I can put down (and I'll be doing an activation trip, then coming back to Aus for another 6 months or so before moving over for good, so won't have a place tee'd up then).

I've come up with two hare-brained ideas that I hope aren't too hare-brained (not liking my chances, but here goes!):
1. Can I open up a PO Box that I can have the GC sent to? Does anyone know if this will be an impossible feat without a SSN?
2. Can I have it sent to a parcel-forwarding service and then sent to me in Australia?

For the interim I'm just going to put down a hotel address so I can submit my DS260, but the logistics of actually getting my physical GC are stressing me out a little bit.

1. A P.O.Box address is a no no.
2. USPS will not deliver the GC to a mail forwarding service address.

I'm in the same boat. I'm curious what others have done if they don't know anyone in the USA.
I'm in the same boat now too - the person I was going to use now said no (long story) so am curious to see what to do now and what others have done

From all your friend and family ties and extended connections you don't know of any one trustworthy person in the US?

I am willing to share my address too as soon as I find a permanent place to stay.
At the moment, I am living with an acquaintance. Will let everyone here know once I settle in.

From all your friend and family ties and extended connections you don't know of any one trustworthy person in the US?
It's not unusual for people not to know of anyone in the States to have it sent too. I have 0 family there (all are in Australia, Dubai and Switzerland) and the person I was going to use is moving now and logistically I dont trust them enough to mail it back to me. I've already submitted the DS260 but am not stressed, will just change it when I enter (providing I pass the interview of course). Have quite some time to try and find someone else but not sure where to start really - will be curious to see what others do

Reactions: Pog
In real-life, unfortunately not. All my family is in Australia, and not many of them have travelled to the US or know people based there (I'd be fine if I was moving to the UK though).

My Aunt has a friend over there but she and her hubby are a bit *funny* and didn't like the idea (maybe because they don't understand the DV Lottery, but who knows? It's their prerogative to say no). There is another girl I met while travelling over there last time, but she moves frequently for work and so I don't want to risk having it mailed to an old address of hers if she gets a call telling her she's being shifted again, as from my understanding it's an expensive thing to replace if lost.

Thankfully for me, someone from this forum has kindly and very generously agreed to let me put down their address, but if not for them I would definitely be having a very hard time trying to figure out how to go about it.

I am willing to share my address too as soon as I find a permanent place to stay.
At the moment, I am living with an acquaintance. Will let everyone here know once I settle in.
People like you and EmilyW are gems, LazyDoggie! I'll be sure to pass along the good will once I'm in the States too. :)

Hey guys!

A couple of questions for anyone who can help.
What does an unlocked ds-260 mean?

Also, When I filled out that form, I struggled a little with the section about my past US trips.
I recently lived in Vancouver, Canada on a working holiday visa & visited the US several times - mostly day trips, etc. I was really struggling to remember the exact dates of all of these & tried to be as honest as I could but I know it's probably off a little bit.

I tried to use my passport stamps as a guide, but it was a little confusing.
Is this something to be worried about? Are they really harsh with this being 100% accurate? Obviously, I've got nothing to hide but I just honestly don't remember the exact dates.

Thanks all!
Jerome CN6xx

The majority of all my U.S trips over different passports are on the I94 website, as MissM88 has posted above, it's an impressive tool!

@JessicaElle @MissM88 For sure I agree, a friend of a friend isn't ideal, let alone a stranger. I'm sending mine to a very good friend, we went to high school in Australia together so trust her entirely. But all that is asked is that they receive the green card in the mail and keep it safe for you right? For anyone with a stable residence this seems like a small ask (they don't have to actually *do* anything!), but I guess it's the details people get funny about.. the fact that we are putting their address on a government document as that it involves immigration etc.

Last edited:

@JessicaElle @MissM88 For sure I agree, a friend of a friend isn't ideal, let alone a stranger. I'm sending mine to a very good friend, we went to high school in Australia together so trust her entirely. But all that is asked is that they receive the green card in the mail and keep it safe for you right? For anyone with a stable residence this seems like a small ask (they don't have to actually *do* anything!), but I guess it's the details people get funny about.. the fact that we are putting their address on a government document as that it involves immigration etc.

The flip side is that a green card is an extremely important document that you don't necessarily want going to a cousin's friend's brother, even if your great-uncle twice removed swears that he's trustworthy.

The majority of all my U.S trips over different passports are on the I94 website, as MissM88 has posted above, it's an impressive tool!

This is true to a certain extent, but there is more. If I give my address to someone, I don't want that person to tell another person 'Hey, use this address and then get her to post it to you / go and pick it up'. There's always the risk that that first person might give my address to another person, after which I don't have any control over how my name and my address is used. I don't want my home address, where my husband and children live, being turned into a halfway house for GCs.

So I'm happy for a few people, who I come to an agreement with, to use my address and I will keep their GC safe and forward it to them when they arrive / when they ask. But I'm protective of my privacy and how my address is used.

Random tax question...

(Correct me if I am wrong please) I have read that because there is a tax treaty between the USA and Aus, when we declare our taxes (I'll only be doing an activation trip then move back later) we will not be taxed twice while working in Aus is that correct?

Does it work the other way around does anyone know? For when we do move to the USA, do we have to declare our US income and will we also not be taxed again?

I tried googling the answers but got different responses so wasn't sure

Random tax question...

(Correct me if I am wrong please) I have read that because there is a tax treaty between the USA and Aus, when we declare our taxes (I'll only be doing an activation trip then move back later) we will not be taxed twice while working in Aus is that correct?

Does it work the other way around does anyone know? For when we do move to the USA, do we have to declare our US income and will we also not be taxed again?

I tried googling the answers but got different responses so wasn't sure

You probably won't pay taxes on income earned in Aus because of the tax treaties and also the foreign tax credit.

The USA is almost unique in expecting tax on worldwide income. So no, you won't pay taxes in Aus once you reside here.

Once you submit your DS260, you can't edit it unless you contact the KCC and ask them to unlock it so that you can edit it and resubmit.