• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2017 AF selectees

Hello everybody ,
I have a problem with my DS260. I was selected this year 2017AF23xxx.
The problem is: when I participated in the lottery, my status is single, and output the results I'm still single, yesterday I validated my DS260 with single status, but I'm getting married during month September 2016 and there I do not know if I made a silly thing by validating my DS260 with single status, many people have told me that I will never have my green card with this change in status.
in fact, I did not cheat, I'm single at the time of validation of my DS260, but I will be married during the interview, as I do?
is what I want to update my DS260? or I wait until I get married after I request the update?
Knowing that now when I enter on the form so I can add an application covered.

Hello everybody ,
I have a problem with my DS260. I was selected this year 2017AF23xxx.
The problem is: when I participated in the lottery, my status is single, and output the results I'm still single, yesterday I validated my DS260 with single status, but I'm getting married during month September 2016 and there I do not know if I made a silly thing by validating my DS260 with single status, many people have told me that I will never have my green card with this change in status.
in fact, I did not cheat, I'm single at the time of validation of my DS260, but I will be married during the interview, as I do?
is what I want to update my DS260? or I wait until I get married after I request the update?
Knowing that now when I enter on the form so I can add an application covered.

You could have waited to get married before submitting your form, with your AF23xxx, your interview isn't likely to take place before 2017. Now, all you need to do is contact KCC after your marriage in Sept and request for them to unlock your form. Once they unlock it, you'll change your marital status from single to married, and fill out a separate DS-260 for your spouse before resubmitting - I'm assuming the plan is for your spouse to be issued with a visa also.

You could have waited to get married before submitting your form, with your AF23xxx, your interview isn't likely to take place before 2017. Now, all you need to do is contact KCC after your marriage in Sept and request for them to unlock your form. Once they unlock it, you'll change your marital status from single to married, and fill out a separate DS-260 for your spouse before resubmitting - I'm assuming the plan is for your spouse to be issued with a visa also.

yes I know I made a mistake.
I will have to wait. but here I am with this error, I hope it will not be a cause for rejection of the green card.

I will have to wait. but here I am with this error, I hope it will not be a cause for rejection of the green card.

It will not lead to a visa denial. However be prepared with lots of evidence to prove your marriage is genuine considering the fact that you're getting married about the DV selection.

It will not lead to a visa denial. However be prepared with lots of evidence to prove your marriage is genuine considering the fact that you're getting married about the DV selection.

ok I understand, I will try to convince him (consular officer) that my wedding was not a green card marriage.

You didn't make a mistake, you did everything correctly. You would have made a mistake filling in anything as married when you were still single. As mom explained however you will need to update your DS later and be sure to provide plenty of proof that your relationship is genuine.

You didn't make a mistake, you did everything correctly. You would have made a mistake filling in anything as married when you were still single. As mom explained however you will need to update your DS later and be sure to provide plenty of proof that your relationship is genuine.

thank you for your answer, yes it will be a real marriage, any evidence that may serve me during the interview?
if I plan to get married during the month of September, and probably my wife is pregnant at the time of the interview, it will be an effective proof I think. hihih

thank you for your answer, yes it will be a real marriage, any evidence that may serve me during the interview?
if I plan to get married during the month of September, and probably my wife is pregnant at the time of the interview, it will be an effective proof I think. hihih

It will be a piece of evidence but not enough by itself (they might suspect you are not the father for example). Photos taken over time of you two together in different places and with family and friends, wedding photos, phone and email logs, etc etc.

It will be a piece of evidence but not enough by itself (they might suspect you are not the father for example). Photos taken over time of you two together in different places and with family and friends, wedding photos, phone and email logs, etc etc.
okay, it is clearer now. I'll try to prepare solid evidence for this case :)

Hi I'm one of the selected for further . . . So after submitting the ds 260 Form, within what time would the interview be?

Hi I'm one of the selected for further . . . So after submitting the ds 260 Form, within what time would the interview be?

Interview month is determined by your assigned CN and how soon you send in your DS-260 form.

DV2017 selectees will begin to attend their interview starting from Oct 2016 - the start of their applicable Fiscal Year. Interview notifications will however go out about 6 - 8 weeks before the interview date. Meaning KCC could start sending out interview notifications from August for an October interview.

M
Interview month is determined by your assigned CN and how soon you send in your DS-260 form.

DV2017 selectees will begin to attend their interview starting from Oct 2016 - the start of their applicable Fiscal Year. Interview notifications will however go out about 6 - 8 weeks before the interview date. Meaning KCC could start sending out interview notifications from August for an October interview.
Y

Tanx a lot. My CN is 2017AF00035###

I am also selected with my wife, me being the principal. I am from Ethiopia and my case number is in seven thousands. I am not sure if this tread is the right place to ask for some concerns I have. Here we go , I appreciate your feedback , specially those who have passed through this.
my wife is pregnant and and her due date is end of September or first week of October , which somehow is coinciding with my possible interview given the last two years of numbers on the bulletin. My concern is if I can not edit my DS-260 when the baby comes, what are the possible scenarios ?

second question is , does a financial support required for DV as stated under the immigrant visa requirement ? if so, my cousine whom I am going to stay with is an old DV winner who has a limited financial source , given the 125% financial criterion set for sponsors. Mind you , who ever is sponsoring , we are two or three ( me , my wife and the baby ). In this case , what are my options ? will a joint sponsoring resolve it ? if financial support is not needed then why is the section in the DS-260 about where you are going asked for ?

last question still related to sponsor ( financial support ) , if it is needed , does the sponsor need to be a relative ( some blood tie ) , could it be an employer of my cousine who showed interest in supporting me with whatever needed ?

I thank you so much for reading my question and sharing your opinion. Specially britsimon !!! I was a huge fan for the last four day since my knowledge of my DV lottery winning. I hope you would take your valuable time to share your opinion.

longing to hear from you guys...........

I am also selected with my wife, me being the principal. I am from Ethiopia and my case number is in seven thousands. I am not sure if this tread is the right place to ask for some concerns I have. Here we go , I appreciate your feedback , specially those who have passed through this.
my wife is pregnant and and her due date is end of September or first week of October , which somehow is coinciding with my possible interview given the last two years of numbers on the bulletin. My concern is if I can not edit my DS-260 when the baby comes, what are the possible scenarios ?

second question is , does a financial support required for DV as stated under the immigrant visa requirement ? if so, my cousine whom I am going to stay with is an old DV winner who has a limited financial source , given the 125% financial criterion set for sponsors. Mind you , who ever is sponsoring , we are two or three ( me , my wife and the baby ). In this case , what are my options ? will a joint sponsoring resolve it ? if financial support is not needed then why is the section in the DS-260 about where you are going asked for ?

last question still related to sponsor ( financial support ) , if it is needed , does the sponsor need to be a relative ( some blood tie ) , could it be an employer of my cousine who showed interest in supporting me with whatever needed ?

I thank you so much for reading my question and sharing your opinion. Specially britsimon !!! I was a huge fan for the last four day since my knowledge of my DV lottery winning. I hope you would take your valuable time to share your opinion.

- If wife gives birth after the interview has been scheduled, you'll contact your embassy and inform them of your new addition. They will guide you on how to add the baby as a derivative.

- DV does expect successful selectees to not become a public charge upon being admitted into the US, so having the financial means to support oneself or be supported is expected. Some embassies outrightly ask for an affidavit of support to be presented, some are okay with just the selectee showing enough savings of their own, and some, like the embassy in Ethiopia, are fine with the host system. If you're using an affidavit, it must be from a single source, and that source's income must meet the applicable poverty guidance level.

- It is preferable for the sponsor to be a relative, this is viewed as the sponsor having a vested interest in your success. I would expect the IO to challenge and ultimate deny an affidavit from your cousin's employer (if you're required to present an affidavit of support) since you have no direct tie to this employer.

Mom has given you perfect answers (that is not unusual because she knew DV when I didn't know what DV stood for).

I thanks you guys so much for your kind and rich feedback. If I can revert on some points which I have picked from your feedback:

I have seen many questions on britsimon blog that people who do not have a friend or relative in US giving just some one's address ( a friend of a cousine/sister etc) in the DS-260 mailing and permanent address information section.
As the name implied , I thought it is just a place where I intend to process other formalities once after I am in US and it is a place where the green card will be send to. If this is true, then where and when is the financial support checked?
will it be done in the background by KCC with out any need to contact the person I mention in the above named section? or , my sponsor need to pay a fee , fill out a form and present themselves in front of an officer to swore ?
in the second case ( if they need to fill out a form ) which form is it ( I-864 or another one ? ) .
I would also appreciate it if you can share me the calculation behind this 125% to cross check if my cousin is fit for it.

Also, I realized you say a host system is acceptable by the embassy in Ethiopia. Does that mean I don't need to worry about any financial issue as long as someone is hosting me in his place? I really appreciate my fellow Ethiopians who have passed through this confirm this so I channel my worries on the other things.

If I am found to present all but this sponsor document to the embassy ( assuming there is the need ) , what would be the possible scenario ? may be this is specific to the Ethiopia case and I would appreciate someone from Ethiopia respond. Do I even need to hold a copy of this sponsorship document or they file it from their end and I just present myself to the consular with out it and answer what they would ask?

Any other country visa consular accepting the host system ?

I am very surprised that on the official DS-260 application website , nothing has been mentioned on the financial support ( affidavit of support ) . I see that only under the USCIS site
which makes me think may be DV is exceptionally treated. Is there anything that prove me wrong on the website which I have overlooked ?

Thanks Sm1smom and britsimon for your good work and kind support.

I thanks you guys so much for your kind and rich feedback. If I can revert on some points which I have picked from your feedback:

I have seen many questions on britsimon blog that people who do not have a friend or relative in US giving just some one's address ( a friend of a cousine/sister etc) in the DS-260 mailing and permanent address information section.
As the name implied , I thought it is just a place where I intend to process other formalities once after I am in US and it is a place where the green card will be send to. If this is true, then where and when is the financial support checked?
will it be done in the background by KCC with out any need to contact the person I mention in the above named section? or , my sponsor need to pay a fee , fill out a form and present themselves in front of an officer to swore ?
in the second case ( if they need to fill out a form ) which form is it ( I-864 or another one ? ) .
I would also appreciate it if you can share me the calculation behind this 125% to cross check if my cousin is fit for it.

Also, I realized you say a host system is acceptable by the embassy in Ethiopia. Does that mean I don't need to worry about any financial issue as long as someone is hosting me in his place? I really appreciate my fellow Ethiopians who have passed through this confirm this so I channel my worries on the other things.

If I am found to present all but this sponsor document to the embassy ( assuming there is the need ) , what would be the possible scenario ? may be this is specific to the Ethiopia case and I would appreciate someone from Ethiopia respond. Do I even need to hold a copy of this sponsorship document or they file it from their end and I just present myself to the consular with out it and answer what they would ask?

Any other country visa consular accepting the host system ?

I am very surprised that on the official DS-260 application website , nothing has been mentioned on the financial support ( affidavit of support ) . I see that only under the USCIS site
which makes me think may be DV is exceptionally treated. Is there anything that prove me wrong on the website which I have overlooked ?

Thanks Sm1smom and britsimon for your good work and kind support.

First of all - when next you're asking multiple questions in one post, be sure to number the questions, it makes answering them easier.

- The address listed on the DS form is assumed to be the address where you'll be staying, and yes it is where your GC gets sent. Of course some people end up to going to the address listed, the GC however will still get sent there unless adequate steps have been taken to officially change the address.

- Financial requirements, just like all other requirements are checked at the time of the interview. Your sponsor simply fills out the form and send it to you with the applicable supporting documents - sponsor isn't required to notarize the form, and the name of the appropriate form is an I-134.

- Considering the fact that you seem familiar with Simon's blog, I'm surprised you haven't come across his write up regarding the public charge requirements which answers all of these questions you're asking. Here's the link, go through it:
http://britsimonsays.com/all-about-public-charge-affidavit-of-support-i-134/

- For Ethiopian specific experience, go through past Ethiopian Threads in this forum, search for those.

Thanks Sm1smom, sorry for the nested questions. It won't happen again :)
1- Can I fill out the address of some relative who is willing to sponsor me in some state on the DS-260 and yet go to another state to settle which I find convenient for my line of profession but just a friend who will not be fit to sponsor ?

2- My age in either of the forums is only 3 - 4 days, which is after I come to know my selection :)

3 - I will do as you recommended.

Thank you very much !!!