• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hi Mom, I didn't get CPO update but only welcome letter. After that updated my case says that your card was mailed to you. I guess the welcome letter comes after the CPO. Of course you have more experience but that's what happened with me . But your passport stamp idea is good idea.

The sequence in which what appears is immaterial as long as the GC itself is received. The essence of my previous post was basically to address an issue of the GC not being received weeks after the WL was sent/received in view of the fact that the FY is fast approaching.

Your situation, for now, is more or less the same as @samc_1988's (except your wait period for your GC arrival is not yet as long as his). He got the WL, no CPO update, and the GC is yet to show up. The process is not an exact science, one thing or the other will be different now and then.

Switch your names around. Enter your last name where it says first name ;).

Also for those applying with a spouse, the spouses information also be used to book an additional INFOPASS. You guys will just have to remember to cancel the additional appointments when no longer needed.
thank you

The sequence in which what appears is immaterial as long as the GC itself is received. The essence of my previous post was basically to address an issue of the GC not being received weeks after the WL was sent/received in view of the fact that the FY is fast approaching.

Your situation, for now, is more or less the same as @samc_1988's (except your wait period for your GC arrival is not yet as long as his). He got the WL, no CPO update, and the GC is yet to show up. The process is not an exact science, one thing or the other will be different now and then.
To make sure I understand you; now I got message says your card was mailed, so isn't mean the card production ordered ?

Last edited:
To make sure I understand you; now I got message says your card was mailed, so isn't mean the card production ordered ?

You need to stop stressing over what the message says now, what it said before or what it never said. Just look forward to receiving your GC in the mail.

I clearly stated on the spreadsheet there will be series of messages/rapid changes regarding the online status once the AOS petition is approved.

I have a quick question. I read somewhere that the FO stamps I-551 in the passport after the interview(?) which is a temporary permanent resident status proof or something. Does this happen in all the cases? Because it did not happen in mine.

I have a quick question. I read somewhere that the FO stamps I-551 in the passport after the interview(?) which is a temporary permanent resident status proof or something. Does this happen in all the cases? Because it did not happen in mine.

No it does not happen in all cases. And it couldn't have happened for you since you were not approved on the spot, your IO was still waiting for your KCC file.

My initial suggestion to contact your congressperson for help isn't quite applicable in your case for now, I believe. When I made that suggestion I thought you had already had your interview and we're waiting for a decision since June, so forget what I said about the congressperson.

The next step you could try is calling USCIS and requesting to speak with a 2nd level officer after speaking with the customer rep. You could ask them to send an expedite request to your FO based on the sunset provision - bear in mind they're not obligated to send out the expedite request, and even if they do, your FO is not obligated to act on it either. But the fact that you're following up on the case with your FO is most likely nudging things along, bringing it to the attention of the relevant parties even if you're not seeing any desired result for now. You can also schedule another INFOPASS appointment to occur in two weeks' time.

Hi Mom,

I took your advice and called USCIS and asked them to expedite my application, the officer on the phone agreed and issued an expedite request. However, I received a letter from my FO yesterday (September 8th) stating that they've rejected my request, but they are aware of the deadline. The letter is issued on August 24th. I don't know why it's taken them so long to post it. Anyways, I'm planning on going to USCIS tomorrow morning (I have an infopass) and follow up on the case again.

Is there anything I can do to have them at least let me know if my background check is done, or what the hold-up is or speak to the officer who's got my application? I'm afraid they're gonna give me the same old answer that "we've received your finger prints on such and such date and your application is pending review". :/

Thanks,
Mehdi

Any update on your case/GC? If nothing new, you should consider making an INFOPASS visit, present your WL and request for an I-551 stamp for your passport. That will act as your temporary GC and the visit should also trigger the need for the CPO step, just in case your IO forgot to order the card.

Hi mom, sorry for the slightly late reply to your post. As per the last piece of advice you gave me (which you were absolutely right about, of course), I've been taking some "time off" from obsessing about the green card, since I was definitely getting excessively worried about things for no reason (which I know must have been a pain to read!) and I had wanted to wait until I had some solid news to tell you guys one way or the other. Due to the issues I had in the interview (where my IO refused to accept my I-134 and repeatedly insisted that I needed an I-864 instead, even though he was of course wrong on this) I admit that my worry level about another mistake being made was much higher than it should have been when I saw that one of the "steps" in the DV timeline just did not happen.

Today (9/9/2015) however, I received my physical green card in the mail :D Strangely, I received no status updates that it was even sent (my USCIS site still says welcome letter, and I got no e-mails/texts) - I just checked my mailbox and saw an unexpected priority mail envelope, and had no idea it was the green card until I opened it. I actually left it on my counter for some time before opening it as there's no mention of USCIS at all on the envelope (they use an unnamed PO box in Lee's Summit as the return address for some reason) so I had no idea it would be something so important!

Just to give a little bit more information, as perhaps it may be helpful in the future to other people: my USCIS status was only updated twice, and only two updates show up in my history - one for the fingerprint fee (way back in June), and one saying that my welcome letter has been sent (in August), both with corresponding e-mail alerts. There were no other updates - no CPO, no card sent notice, no tracking number, and no delivery confirmation.

From googling around about normal AOS cases, as well from the DV timeline spreadsheet, this definitely feels non-typical and most cases seem to get all (or at least most) of those notices, so I'm not sure what caused this. It's maybe worth mentioning that the card took 3 full weeks to the day from the welcome letter date to come, which is the maximum estimate given in the welcome letter (I had originally planned to call USCIS tomorrow in fact to follow up because of this). Perhaps its possible that my IO had forgotten to order card production initially, but that this was fixed internally at a later date (which would gel with some non-DV experiences I had read where updates were missing). Either way, I don't want to speculate too much, and I'll make a final update to my timeline entry in the spreadsheet later tonight.

Thank you guys (and of course, @Sm1smom in particular) so much!! After a half decade or so of entering the lottery with admittedly with very little expectation of winning, it's been an amazing ride to get selected this year, and have things finally completed. This thread has been amazing, and I don't know what I would have done without it - I'm so glad almost all of the cases I've been following over the past few months have completed successfully, and I really wish the best of luck to everyone else who is still trying to get things done.

Last edited:
Hi Mom,

I took your advice and called USCIS and asked them to expedite my application, the officer on the phone agreed and issued an expedite request. However, I received a letter from my FO yesterday (September 8th) stating that they've rejected my request, but they are aware of the deadline. The letter is issued on August 24th. I don't know why it's taken them so long to post it. Anyways, I'm planning on going to USCIS tomorrow morning (I have an infopass) and follow up on the case again.

Is there anything I can do to have them at least let me know if my background check is done, or what the hold-up is or speak to the officer who's got my application? I'm afraid they're gonna give me the same old answer that "we've received your finger prints on such and such date and your application is pending review". :/

Thanks,
Mehdi

I'm sorry your expedite request was declined by your FO. However, just like you've stated in the notice they sent to you, they seem aware of the pending deadline. I'm certain your your IL will show up soon.

You'll just have to ask them upfront at the INFOPASS if your background check has cleared. Ask them if your KCC file has been requested and received. Ask to now the possibility of when you could be called. Attend the INFOPASS with the possibility of being interviewed on the spot - it's been known to happen. You could politely request to speak with a supervisor if you're not satisfied with the respons(es) you get - there's no guarantee that request would be obliged either. Unfortunately I don't know of anything you else you can do to prevent them from giving you a possible standard response of 'we're on top it'

Good luck!

Hi mom, sorry for the slightly late reply to your post. As per the last piece of advice you gave me (which you were absolutely right about, of course), I've been taking some "time off" from obsessing about the green card, since I was definitely getting excessively worried about things for no reason (which I know must have been a pain to read!) and I had wanted to wait until I had some solid news to tell you guys one way or the other. Due to the issues I had in the interview (where my IO refused to accept my I-134 and repeatedly insisted that I needed an I-864 instead, even though he was of course wrong on this) I admit that my worry level about another mistake being made was much higher than it should have been when I saw that one of the "steps" in the DV timeline just did not happen.

Today (9/9/2015) however, I received my physical green card in the mail :D Strangely, I received no status updates that it was even sent (my USCIS site still says welcome letter, and I got no e-mails/texts) - I just checked my mailbox and saw an unexpected priority mail envelope, and had no idea it was the green card until I opened it. I actually left it on my counter for some time before opening it as there's no mention of USCIS at all on the envelope (they use an unnamed PO box in Lee's Summit as the return address for some reason) so I had no idea it would be something so important!

Just to give a little bit more information, as perhaps it may be helpful in the future to other people: my USCIS status was only updated twice, and only two updates show up in my history - one for the fingerprint fee (way back in June), and one saying that my welcome letter has been sent (in August), both with corresponding e-mail alerts. There were no other updates - no CPO, no card sent notice, no tracking number, and no delivery confirmation.

From googling around about normal AOS cases, as well from the DV timeline spreadsheet, this definitely feels non-typical and most cases seem to get all (or at least most) of those notices, so I'm not sure what caused this. It's maybe worth mentioning that the card took 3 full weeks to the day from the welcome letter date to come, which is the maximum estimate given in the welcome letter (I had originally planned to call USCIS tomorrow in fact to follow up because of this). Perhaps its possible that my IO had forgotten to order card production initially, but that this was fixed internally at a later date (which would gel with some non-DV experiences I had read where updates were missing). Either way, I don't want to speculate too much, and I'll make a final update to my timeline entry in the spreadsheet later tonight.

Thank you guys (and of course, @Sm1smom in particular) so much!! After a half decade or so of entering the lottery with admittedly with very little expectation of winning, it's been an amazing ride to get selected this year, and have things finally completed. This thread has been amazing, and I don't know what I would have done without it - I'm so glad almost all of the cases I've been following over the past few months have completed successfully, and I really wish the best of luck to everyone else who is still trying to get things done.

Congratulations. At least you can now believe that you're indeed GREEN!

It is strange though that you never received a text or/and email notification (depending on the notification method you selected when you registered online for case status notification - which I'm assuming you did) even when your GC got mailed out. Can you please confirm if you registered online for case status notification and which notification method you selected: text, email, or both?

Hi,

My husband and I have received our letters for our interview.
His interview is an hour before mine. I am a dependent of him so therefore he has to be approved before I can get approved. Will they let me know that he has been approved or not before my interview?
When I filled out my I-485 I put my maiden name as all my documents haven't been changed to my married name.
Is there any chance that I could ask for my green card to have my married name?

What should we expect for the interview?

Hi,

My husband and I have received our letters for our interview.
His interview is an hour before mine. I am a dependent of him so therefore he has to be approved before I can get approved. Will they let me know that he has been approved or not before my interview?
When I filled out my I-485 I put my maiden name as all my documents haven't been changed to my married name.
Is there any chance that I could ask for my green card to have my married name?

What should we expect for the interview?

Yes, as the PA your husband must be approved before your case can be approved, however it doesn't necessarily mean you will both end up being interviewed separately or an hour apart like the interview notice indicates. You may end up being interviewed together.

You can bring up the name change issue with your IO, if the IO approves, a slight correction will be made on your I-485 listing your marital name as your last name. However you need to be aware that once your GC gets issued with your marital name, you will need to apply for a new passport, your will not be able to travel with your current passport (with your maiden name on it) and your GC (with the marital name on it).

Check the AOS spreadsheet for Interview Tips.

Dear mom,
Just wanted to follow up and see if you were able to get any information regarding my original post. I just checked the new Visa Bulletin and my number is current for November (EU105xx) :) May I proceed with the AOS application at this point, wait until I receive my 2NL (which may or may not happen in 2 weeks for AOS cases, correct?). Or am I better off waiting until November 1 to submit my AOS package?

Thank you :))))

Dear mom,
Just wanted to follow up and see if you were able to get any information regarding my original post. I just checked the new Visa Bulletin and my number is current for November (EU105xx) :) May I proceed with the AOS application at this point, wait until I receive my 2NL (which may or may not happen in 2 weeks for AOS cases, correct?). Or am I better off waiting until November 1 to submit my AOS package?

Thank you :))))

You're a DV 2016 selectee, so you should be posting on the DV2016 AOS Thread. Anyway, your previous post was answered on the 2016 Thread - link below.

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2016-aos-only.326148/page-37#post-2415443

Go through it and post subsequent questions there.

Congratulations. At least you can now believe that you're indeed GREEN!

It is strange though that you never received a text or/and email notification (depending on the notification method you selected when you registered online for case status notification - which I'm assuming you did) even when your GC got mailed out. Can you please confirm if you registered online for case status notification and which notification method you selected: text, email, or both?

Hi Mom, I had registered for both text and email notifications in the online case status system (https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do), and received direct notifications for the two updates that are shown for me on my online case status - the fingerprint fee received update, and the welcome letter sent update. This is however all that shows up even on my online case status - the "current" update (welcome letter sent), and one single entry under case history (fingerprint fee received).

I agree that it is very unusual that despite having the physical card now, my online status still only shows these two updates, and I never received any other notifications. I had done a little bit of googling a while ago, and had found some posts on trackitt regarding non-DV AOS cases where "manual" changes to case status (such as when a welcome letter was not sent or card production was not ordered by mistake, and the person had spoken with an L2 officer who had fixed this for them) had resulted in the online case status/notifications behaving very erratically, and sometimes not updating at all. I had wondered (completely baseless speculation, of course!) if this may be an explanation as my card was sent quite late, as I did speak to an L2 officer a week or two ago like I had posted (who spent some time looking into things for me but only told me to be patient).

Hi Mom, I had registered for both text and email notifications in the online case status system (https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do), and received direct notifications for the two updates that are shown for me on my online case status - the fingerprint fee received update, and the welcome letter sent update. This is however all that shows up even on my online case status - the "current" update (welcome letter sent), and one single entry under case history (fingerprint fee received).

I agree that it is very unusual that despite having the physical card now, my online status still only shows these two updates, and I never received any other notifications. I had done a little bit of googling a while ago, and had found some posts on trackitt regarding non-DV AOS cases where "manual" changes to case status (such as when a welcome letter was not sent or card production was not ordered by mistake, and the person had spoken with an L2 officer who had fixed this for them) had resulted in the online case status/notifications behaving very erratically, and sometimes not updating at all. I had wondered (completely baseless speculation, of course!) if this may be an explanation as my card was sent quite late, as I did speak to an L2 officer a week or two ago like I had posted (who spent some time looking into things for me but only told me to be patient).

I see. That may possibly be the case. Anyway, congratulations on a successful ending for you.

Well, I went today to my FO and asked them what's the statues of my case, the officer was very familiar with the deadline and everything and after checking for like 10 min he came back and told my that they're working on my file right now and I should expect a letter soon "this week or the next"
the KCC has already send the file on the 4th and it was requested by the FO on August 27
Is that ok to take that long to review the file?

Well, I went today to my FO and asked them what's the statues of my case, the officer was very familiar with the deadline and everything and after checking for like 10 min he came back and told my that they're working on my file right now and I should expect a letter soon "this week or the next"
the KCC has already send the file on the 4th and it was requested by the FO on August 27
Is that ok to take that long to review the file?

That sounds promising. I'm sure the IL should be popping up in your mailbox soon.

Regarding how long a file review takes, remember just because the IO has the file on his/her desk doesn't necessarily mean they're reviewing that file in particular. Review could take any length of time, it really depends on the IO's assigned work load.

That sounds promising. I'm sure the IL should be popping up in your mailbox soon.

Regarding how long a file review takes, remember just because the IO has the file on his/her desk doesn't necessarily mean they're reviewing that file in particular. Review could take any length of time, it really depends on the IO's assigned work load.
Thank you.