• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners Meet Here

I checked the Visa Bulletin and only 193 people from Spain won (I assume including derivatives?)
It is so discouraging :(

In 2014 24.408 people applied (including derivatives) and 485 won, and I believe this year even more Spaniards applied, since people are leaving the country like crazy lately due to the 25% rate of unemployed people that we have.
193 it is just a really low number for this year. So sad...

In 2014 24.408 people applied (including derivatives) and 485 won, and I believe this year even more Spaniards applied, since people are leaving the country like crazy lately due to the 25% rate of unemployed people that we have.

Maybe the incredible volume of Ukrainians and Uzbeks "diluted" the Spanish applicants.

I've spent alot of time in Spain recently and yes the economy sucks. Everyone was unemployed and living on social security. I met a girl with a PhD serving ice cream. To be frank, I think you have terrible labor laws that have gone too far and have institutionalized unemployment.

Maybe the incredible volume of Ukrainians and Uzbeks "diluted" the Spanish applicants.

I've spent alot of time in Spain recently and yes the economy sucks. Everyone was unemployed and living on social security. I met a girl with a PhD serving ice cream. To be frank, I think you have terrible labor laws that have gone too far and have institutionalized unemployment.

Yep. You are completely right about everything you just said. I studied a 5 year college degree and all I could find was a job as a receptionist. I was lucky enough to get promoted as a secretary, but still, I could be doing so much more. Hence my deep desire to move to the USA...
It is just so frustrating acknowledging how hard it actually is...
I know this is a first world problem and a lot of people are in much worse situations, but still...

Yep. You are completely right about everything you just said. I studied a 5 year college degree and all I could find was a job as a receptionist. I was lucky enough to get promoted as a secretary, but still, I could be doing so much more. Hence my deep desire to move to the USA...
It is just so frustrating acknowledging how hard it actually is...
I know this is a first world problem and a lot of people are in much worse situations, but still...

Have you thought about Australia / NZ / Canada?

I am starting to consider other options, yes. I need to gather all the information and decide what to do.
Do you think it would be easier?

How old are you? If 30 or less:

New Zealand: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/spainwhs.htm
Canada: Working holiday flooded and closed after 28 minutes http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp?country=es&cat=wh
so try: Young Professionals http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp?country=es&cat=yp

I strongly recommend going for something. Once you get to a country and develop a network opportunities come to you.

Thanks @guestgulkan
I wonder how many Aussies have entered? it seems like most of the Aussies got selected. All of the selected here are from Australia which really makes me wonder.

How old are you? If 30 or less:

New Zealand: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/spainwhs.htm
Canada: Working holiday flooded and closed after 28 minutes http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp?country=es&cat=wh
so try: Young Professionals http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp?country=es&cat=yp

I strongly recommend going for something. Once you get to a country and develop a network opportunities come to you.

31 :/

Thank you so much for the info, I will look into it and see if I can fit somewhere there.

Thanks @guestgulkan
I wonder how many Aussies have entered? it seems like most of the Aussies got selected. All of the selected here are from Australia which really makes me wonder.

Two reasons:
  • Oceania has a good probability of selection - 5 or 6%. This is due to less interest from Aus/NZ plus OC has no big disproportionate submission countries like Ukraine / Nepal / Ethiopia etc
  • Australia speaks English. We're the biggest native English speaking nation that is eligible for DV so it's easier for us to access the forum.

Thank you mom for your reply!!!
Can you pls tell me what do u mean by "Of course not every one of those selected will end up qualifying", how do you define not qualifying? this is the most question to me assuming the following: have high school degree and BS, good record/no criminal, all the documents are available, what else can make me not qualify so I can be prepared just in case. Thank so much. BTW you are doing very good job and you are a great help, lucky to have someone here in this forum :)

- selectees charging to the wrong country
- selectees not meeting the required educational/work experience qualification
- selectees failure to list existing children on their eDV registration
- selectees failure to list their spouse on their eDV registration
- selectees entering into fake/sham marriages before their interview
- selectees not passing the medical exam
- selectees inability to overcome the public charge requirements
- selectees with suspected duplicate entries

The list is endless ........

Thanks @guestgulkan

How I WISH that was true. Sadly, a lot more Australians didn't get selected (including a lot of regulars on this forum) than did - just like every other country.

Compare that to overall numbers of 17 million including derivative and 91k won. It's not so surprising.

I won DV lottery 2016 , i am from Nepal, i have AS00045***, is my number safe to be called for interview? which month approximately?

@Britsimon my friend, guess what? I played for DV 2016 just in case a freakish incident would have prevented us from receiving green cards through DV 2015. And guess what? Hubby won again this year!!! That makes it 2 years in a row with CN AF24XXX this time…how crazy is that? It kept saying session timed out so after reading your post on it, I suspected it meant a win, and indeed it is!

Hi Ifitis2be and Mom,

I won the DV 2016 (2016AF00030***). I am currently on OPT and will be converting back to student on F1 for my PhD. I did, however, say in my DS-260 that I am currently working, but by the time my DS-260 gets looked at I will be back on my F1 student status. Will this give any concerns? I already submitted my DS-260 last night.

Also I would be going the AoS route and I have checked out the AoS spreadsheet, but I was wondering about the DV fee submission – I did not find this on the time line. Also when would it be the right time to contact my USCIS office in my region? or will the KCC let me know when my case is sent to the USCIS?

I was also wondering what you would say if I wanted to travel to my home country for my sisters wedding before school starts in the fall? I am currently not planning to go to avoid any risk, but I still want to hear your opinion?