• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Selectees from Ghana

i have been whatsapping with masa 2 and i quote " about the place of birth, i put kumasi on the first application and on the ds 260 and the birth certificate is Accra. The CO ask my wife she answer that she comes from kumasi but was born in Accra, and that was all"

This has been a very interesting topic and a lot has been stated. In all I will like each of us to move on and encourage each other in order for now not to fall prey to these Agents because they can create a real mess for you and lie equally about that meanwhile they would have taken lots of money from you and waiting for you to pick the visa then they take the remaining difference as agreed by you . This forum has been informative and I urge us to continue with the good work to share our experience and assist others by Motivation.

i have been whatsapping with masa 2and i quote " about the place of birth, i put kumasi on the first application and on the ds 260 and the birth certificate is Accra. The CO ask my wife she answer that she comes from kumasi but was born in Accra, and that was all"
So i think 'kumasi' is her hometown but mistakenly indicated that to be her 'place of birth'. A good explanation at that settles this error. It's not a complicated situation at all. On my edv entry, my 'place of birth' is XXX and this location is in accra. On my ds260, birthcert n passport it's Accra. I don't see how this could cause any problem.

So i think 'kumasi' is her hometown but mistakenly indicated that to be her 'place of birth'. A good explanation at that settles this error. It's not a complicated situation at all. On my edv entry, my 'place of birth' is XXX and this location is in accra. On my ds260, birthcert n passport it's Accra. I don't see how this could cause any problem.
it was the husband who enter for the family. the wife entry was selected. the error was at the edv that husband submitted. In summary,we go clean without any agent matter. answer the questions truly even with minor error.

Last edited:
XXX, Accra on eDV and Accra on DS260 and passport, i don't think this ll be a problem
its only a problem if eDV is completely different from DS260, birth cert and passport
eg. on eDV the city of birth was Ho and DS260, birth cert and passport is Accra
i just told you someone who went to the embassy last month and was there yesterday due to kid. He chose kumasi as city of birth on the edv but the ds 260 and certificate birth shows accra. the wife was asked about that anyway.
Please this case is close.

The European Union (EU) and the United States
of America (USA) missions in Ghana have
detected that customary marriage and divorce
certificates presented by individuals for visas
are forged and falsified.
According to the missions, some Ghanaian
citizens were abusing the tradition underlying
customary marriage which allows proxy
marriage (where the bride or the groom does
not need to be present at the ceremony) by
forging and providing false information on the
marriage certificate.
Following the concerns expressed by the foreign
missions, the Accra Metropolitan Assembly
(AMA) has introduced more security features to
ensure the authentication of the marriage
registration process in order to issue valid
certificates.
The Judicial Service, which attests to the
marriage certificates, has also begun a re-
registration of notaries public appointed by the
Chief Justice.
Notaries public are lawyers who have more than
10 years’ experience and appointed by the Chief
Justice to authenticate the statutory declaration,
a form attached to the marriage registration
form.
In view of the situation, a seminar has been
organised by the AMA, in collaboration with the
British High Commission, to discuss ways to
strengthen customary marriage registration
process.
Present at the seminar were officials of the
Canadian and the United States missions in
Ghana, commissioners of oaths and AMA and
Judicial Service staff.
Validating the registration Speaking at the
seminar, the Registrar of Marriages at the AMA
and solicitor, Mr Yaw Twumasi Ankrah, said the
assembly had received a number of complaints
from the foreign missions about false and
invalid customary marriage certificates.
He said the trend undermined the integrity of
the assembly and abused the process of people
getting married the traditional way in the
country.
While admitting that there were some
challenges which people took advantage of to
forge signatures when filling the forms, Mr
Ankrah said strict measures had been put in
place to ensure that information provided was
accurate and valid. As part of the measures,
applicants would now be required to add
detailed information on their addresses,
including telephone numbers and photocopies
of their identification cards, otherwise the
certificates would not be signed, he said.
He said in validating the customary marriage
registration form, proxy marriage was
acceptable, but indicated that the couples and
their parents needed to sign or thumbprint the
form.

A lady I met during my medicals have been refused yesterday. The year of birth on her eDV entry was wrong. Though she swore an affidavit. According to her, the CO asked whether she did the initial entry herself and she anwered in the negative.

Interesting. Looking at the map Kamasi is a large city, clearly isn't near a border but clearly isn't part of Accra. If she was refused because of the place of birth then it was as I described - that the place of birth discrepancy causes (or adds to) doubt about the authenticity of the documents/the candidate themselves.

The European Union (EU) and the United States
of America (USA) missions in Ghana have
detected that customary marriage and divorce
certificates presented by individuals for visas
are forged and falsified.
According to the missions, some Ghanaian
citizens were abusing the tradition underlying
customary marriage which allows proxy
marriage (where the bride or the groom does
not need to be present at the ceremony) by
forging and providing false information on the
marriage certificate.
Following the concerns expressed by the foreign
missions, the Accra Metropolitan Assembly
(AMA) has introduced more security features to
ensure the authentication of the marriage
registration process in order to issue valid
certificates.
The Judicial Service, which attests to the
marriage certificates, has also begun a re-
registration of notaries public appointed by the
Chief Justice.
Notaries public are lawyers who have more than
10 years’ experience and appointed by the Chief
Justice to authenticate the statutory declaration,
a form attached to the marriage registration
form.
In view of the situation, a seminar has been
organised by the AMA, in collaboration with the
British High Commission, to discuss ways to
strengthen customary marriage registration
process.
Present at the seminar were officials of the
Canadian and the United States missions in
Ghana, commissioners of oaths and AMA and
Judicial Service staff.
Validating the registration Speaking at the
seminar, the Registrar of Marriages at the AMA
and solicitor, Mr Yaw Twumasi Ankrah, said the
assembly had received a number of complaints
from the foreign missions about false and
invalid customary marriage certificates.
He said the trend undermined the integrity of
the assembly and abused the process of people
getting married the traditional way in the
country.
While admitting that there were some
challenges which people took advantage of to
forge signatures when filling the forms, Mr
Ankrah said strict measures had been put in
place to ensure that information provided was
accurate and valid. As part of the measures,
applicants would now be required to add
detailed information on their addresses,
including telephone numbers and photocopies
of their identification cards, otherwise the
certificates would not be signed, he said.
He said in validating the customary marriage
registration form, proxy marriage was
acceptable, but indicated that the couples and
their parents needed to sign or thumbprint the
form.

Yes that is interesting. Proxy marriages are specifically excluded (i.e. considered not valid) for US immigration purposes. Clearly, whilst the USA is supportive of local administration decisions, customs like this undermine the credibility of "official" documentation in Ghana which again just increases the likelihood of refusals in general.

Source: http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=346355

Interesting. Looking at the map Kamasi is a large city, clearly isn't near a border but clearly isn't part of Accra. If she was refused because of the place of birth then it was as I described - that the place of birth discrepancy causes (or adds to) doubt about the authenticity of the documents/the candidate themselves.

The post you responded to said year, not place, of birth being wrong.

I still see no proof from de don that anything other than what we already know are disqualifying factors invalidate entries. We have seen enough incorrect towns in the same country being granted visas to have to assume that there were other factors - as you allude to above anyway. If it was part of being unable to ascertain the person is the same as the one on the entry yes but there would have been other factors. And indeed it is strange that the refusal has ticked the box that says ineligible on education or work or failure to follow rules, when what de don claims was the issue surely should have been therefore misrepresentation of a material fact, a different category. De don, you put the red underline in?

Some of us have said all along that wrong names and birth dates will disqualify people but certain others have kept saying don't worry, pray and get an affidavit. No surprise that doesn't work.

And I remain suspicious of someone who claims to know so much about all these entries and what happened and spends time at the embassy but isn't a winner himself.

Last edited:
The post you responded to said year, not place, of birth being wrong.

Doh. I mixed up about 3 posts all into one. It's early for me - you are still on SA time. :)

I still see no proof from de don that anything other than what we already know are disqualifying factors invalidate entries. We have seen enough incorrect towns in the same country being granted visas to have to assume that there were other factors - as you allude to above anyway. If it was part of being unable to ascertain the person is the same as the one on the entry yes but there would have been other factors. Some of us have said all along that wrong names and birth dates will disqualify people but certain others have kept saying don't worry, pray and get an affidavit. No surprise that doesn't work.

And I remain suspicious of someone who claims to know so much about all these entries and what happened and spends time at the embassy but isn't a winner himself.

Hmmm. It would help if he would explain himself without being argumentative. But yeah, the COs in Ghana must have a hell of a job with documents.....

Yes that is interesting. Proxy marriages are specifically excluded (i.e. considered not valid) for US immigration purposes. Clearly, whilst the USA is supportive of local administration decisions, customs like this undermine the credibility of "official" documentation in Ghana which again just increases the likelihood of refusals in general.

Source: http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=346355

Actually, it is an unconsummated proxy marriage that is not considered valid for immigration purpose. A proxy marriage that gets consummated after the proxy ceremony is considered valid and eligible for an IV

9FAM 40.1 N1.3 (p.2):
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86920.pdf

NOTE: Error on forms bring eDV, passport, educational cert, birth cer etc fallls under section 212(a)(5)a
Misrepresentation of material fact falls under section 212(a)(6)(c)(i).
Misrepresentation of material fact means supplied false information or fake documents such as fake educational cert, marriage cert etc. to the CO during your visa interview.
in most cases refusal under section 212(a)(6)(c)(i) are given the chance to appeal (Waiver) since they need enough prove to confirm the authenticity of the document .
the 4 refusal i mentioned has nothing to do with misrepresentation of material, they falls under those who fail to comply with the rule of the dv

The rules about place of birth relate to chargeability. A different town does not change chargeability. This has been proved time and again with approvals of visas for these. In any case unless you were actually with the person at the window, which is impossible, how do you know they told you the truth?

Not keeping to the rules - which are specified on the entry guidelines:
- they cannot verify you are the person who entered. This is when wrong names and wrong birthdates matter. I sincerely hope everyone who reads this now realises they will be wasting their money if they continue with such an application, affidavits and prayers notwithstanding
- leaving off derivatives that should have been on the entry form
- old photo or manipulated photo or wrong specs in photo

Here is the list of rules in the DV entry instructions, where they talk about what can disqualify you.
http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DV-2015-Instructions-Translations/DV_2015_Instructions.pdf

You have still proved nothing, other than that you are either an agent or work for one and are probably on the forums looking for more 'business'.

Last edited:
That would'nt be bad at all, I think next time I ll advertise my products here instead of sharing ideas since data what u want.
Lol..masa nobody is interested in seeing any product of yours or anybody else's being advertised here. This is a DV based forum and it will remain as such. Enough of this back-and-forth ramblings. Can we move on please!?