• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

I put off moving to the UK earlier this year to wait and see what happened with this. I guess I could look at it like a waste of time, but I got a good new job in NZ while I waiting so not all is lost. And the UK is still there for me now.

Is it wise to keep trying with this? I'm not sure. It takes time out of your life to go through the process and wait around, encouraged by the prize dangling just in front of your face. Close but far away.

Does seem like such a long process. I guess it's worth it if you get a low case number... But anything above 1500 from now on, I wouldn't hold your breath...

So sorry 2014s, what a crappy awful way for it to end. It would've been one thing for there to have a been an expected increase to about 1600, but nothing ?? My heart goes out to you guys that have spent a whole year in a state of semi permanent anticipation, only to now learn that you were never really even in the race. I guess the only upside for me ( I have a fairly high 2015 CN) is that I pretty much know that I haven't 'really' had my name drawn at all. Not too sure what they are thinking really. Clearly anyone with a number over about 1600 for OC isn't really in the running at all, so why draw those numbers ?
(( HUGS)) to you all who have been let down. Be kind to yourselves and if you need to feel sad, then feel sad for a while. It will pass.

Commiserations to my fellow selectees that have fallen above the cut off number. While I think a lot of us knew since some months ago there was little to no hope for the excessively high CN's (e.g. 2000+), I'm genuinely stunned that there was no movement at all this month.

For those who have a dream of moving to the US, I encourage you to pursue that dream - you never know when and where opportunities will present themselves. For the Australian's, we have the wonderful E3 visa (if you qualify) and after dreaming of moving to the US for a very long time now I was successful in getting mine a few weeks ago. Not gloating, but just pointing out that dreams do come true if you work for and chase them hard enough.

I also hope nobody bears any ill feelings towards the US or the process as a result of this. While no doubt emotions will be running high, it was a double-stage lottery process (being selected, then being interviewed) with no guarantee of getting that magical visa until the passport was back in your hands. That aside, it is an excellent process and it does work for people as well, and in OC we statistically have the best chance out of any region. So keep on applying each year and hopefully everyones number will come up sooner or later.

It's been a fun 15 month ride so far, and a special thanks to everyone that participated in this thread and people like britsimon etc. that spend a lot of time crunching data, explaining processes, and providing realistic levels of reassurance and motivation to all of us.

With regards DV2015, it seems the consensus is it'll play out the same as DV2014, but I'm not sure why. There are 15000 fewer selectees. Is it because there's a higher density of low CNs compared to previous years?

Sure, you're not guaranteed an interview. BUT, to save us a lot of time and heartache, they could have used their brains rather than just a lazy guess -- based on another lottery they botched in 2012 -- to have better decided how many selectees they'd realistically need for 2014. Why have 3100 selectees when you plan to reach only 1450?

In case I don't post again in the short-term, thanks to all the regulars, especially Britsimon and Vladek, good luck to everyone, regardless of how the 2014 lottery turned out for you, and maybe I'll see some of you in the DV2016 winners thread.

Sure, you're not guaranteed an interview. BUT, to save us a lot of time and heartache, they could have used their brains rather than just a lazy guess -- based on another lottery they botched in 2012 -- to have better decided how many selectees they'd realistically need for 2014. Why have 3100 selectees when you plan to reach only 1450?

In case I don't post again in the short-term, thanks to all the regulars, especially Britsimon and Vladek, good luck to everyone, regardless of how the 2014 lottery turned out for you, and maybe I'll see some of you in the DV2016 winners thread.

Best of luck for DV2016 Tony. OC enjoy a 1 in 20 win rate - so you stand a very good chance on getting selected again... hopefully next time with an awesome number!

Commiserations to my fellow selectees that have fallen above the cut off number. While I think a lot of us knew since some months ago there was little to no hope for the excessively high CN's (e.g. 2000+), I'm genuinely stunned that there was no movement at all this month.

For those who have a dream of moving to the US, I encourage you to pursue that dream - you never know when and where opportunities will present themselves. For the Australian's, we have the wonderful E3 visa (if you qualify) and after dreaming of moving to the US for a very long time now I was successful in getting mine a few weeks ago. Not gloating, but just pointing out that dreams do come true if you work for and chase them hard enough.

I also hope nobody bears any ill feelings towards the US or the process as a result of this. While no doubt emotions will be running high, it was a double-stage lottery process (being selected, then being interviewed) with no guarantee of getting that magical visa until the passport was back in your hands. That aside, it is an excellent process and it does work for people as well, and in OC we statistically have the best chance out of any region. So keep on applying each year and hopefully everyones number will come up sooner or later.

It's been a fun 15 month ride so far, and a special thanks to everyone that participated in this thread and people like britsimon etc. that spend a lot of time crunching data, explaining processes, and providing realistic levels of reassurance and motivation to all of us.

Well said. The E3 really is a superb option and the DV option is still a good one for OC entrants. I do think we haven't seen the final number at 1450 - watch this space as they say....

I wouldn't give up just yet. My feeling is they'll update the VB within a week. Otherwise they'll have no interviews at all in September and that just doesn't make sense.

With regards DV2015, it seems the consensus is it'll play out the same as DV2014, but I'm not sure why. There are 15000 fewer selectees. Is it because there's a higher density of low CNs compared to previous years?

No one really knows about DV2015 yet. Cleverer people than me will be crunching numbers and coming up with predictions. DV2014 will at least give us some information about what will happen when they have too many selectees. I do think DV2015 will have too many again - but it is just a guess on my part. To me we are trying to fill a pint glass. DV2014 was 24 fl ounces of beer. DV2015 is probably 21/22. Either way, you are gonna make a mess...

I was going to say let's hear from BritSimon, but he's already said a few words. If you have anything else you can opine on BritSimon I'd like to hear it like even if it goes a hair beyond 1450 for interviews what is your guess? 1488?

I was 21xx. At least a month or so ago, is when I came to terms with the zero chances. Those coming to terms with their zero chances today, I feel for ya I really do. This forum is such an advantage, filled so choc full of helpful info, that it makes you almost wish your competitors didn't have access to it. Ha! I mean people who don't read this forum stand a much higher chance of being rejected at interview or messing something up procedurally, and if they do, then 'more visas for me'. It's a dog eat visa world.

And it looks like a dog just ate our visas. I want Crawf to swing by, as far as I can tell he was the luckiest most pro-active, most public diarist of the success stories from DV2014 whole process, I wonder if he'll be shocked it only hit 1450.

I was going to say let's hear from BritSimon, but he's already said a few words. If you have anything else you can opine on BritSimon I'd like to hear it like even if it goes a hair beyond 1450 for interviews what is your guess? 1488?

I was 21xx. At least a month or so ago, is when I came to terms with the zero chances. Those coming to terms with their zero chances today, I feel for ya I really do. This forum is such an advantage, filled so choc full of helpful info, that it makes you almost wish your competitors didn't have access to it. Ha! I mean people who don't read this forum stand a much higher chance of being rejected at interview or messing something up procedurally, and if they do, then 'more visas for me'. It's a dog eat visa world.

I'm still thinking they will do something. Last month for instance they gave us (verbally) SA as unchanged. Then almost a week later when they finally published the VB, SA had gone up. I think the same could happen to SA and OC over the next couple of weeks. How far for OC - I don't know - but 1500 - 1600 seems a sensible low end... As you say, I think I killed my 2k plus mindset a while back.

I'm still thinking they will do something. Last month for instance they gave us (verbally) SA as unchanged. Then almost a week later when they finally published the VB, SA had gone up. I think the same could happen to SA and OC over the next couple of weeks. How far for OC - I don't know - but 1500 - 1600 seems a sensible low end... As you say, I think I killed my 2k plus mindset a while back.

I'd be inclined to paste it at 1600. Call me Mr Optimism. It's altogether too spooky to have three regions with no progress in a month. Unless the staff are striking or something.

I'm really sorry that so many of you have missed out. It just doesn't seem fair. Hopefully you will still get there one day soon x