extended stay out of US

yameen79

Registered Users (C)
hi friends. I hare to share my situation. I am a greencard holder since aug 2007. I have travelled frequenctly out of the US as my wife lives in Pakistan. I have applied for I-824 (FTJ ) for my wife and daugter and which is approved but still waiting for the interview. It has been 7 months I am living in Pakistan without re entry permit. I might travel back to US in a month or so. I am kinda confused of what to tell them when they ask me how long i stayed and what for. or should I not tell them exactly how long I stayed as I have heard that they do not have dates of departures. Any advice or sugguestions ..anyone experience comeing to US after 6 months on greencard? reply.

hi friends. I hare to share my situation. I am a greencard holder since aug 2007. I have travelled frequenctly out of the US as my wife lives in Pakistan. I have applied for I-824 (FTJ ) for my wife and daugter and which is approved but still waiting for the interview. It has been 7 months I am living in Pakistan without re entry permit. I might travel back to US in a month or so. I am kinda confused of what to tell them when they ask me how long i stayed and what for. or should I not tell them exactly how long I stayed as I have heard that they do not have dates of departures. Any advice or sugguestions ..anyone experience comeing to US after 6 months on greencard? reply.

Tell the truth. Do not assume or depend on them not having records.

Entry after 6 months is ok once in a while, but not as a practice. Do not know how long were your other absences so not sure whether you profile in high risk of questioning or low risk of questioning areas.

i had been asked the question at the POE, i mentioned that I had personal things that needed my presence to be taken care of

USCIS allows you to travel out of US for temporary visit up to 1 year.
7 months should not be a problem.
But always tell the truth, CBP has all your travelling records.

Well if they have a record of departure why they always ask me how long did I stay out. And also I have had 2 travels of 5 months abroad since i got my GC in sep 2007. this is my third time of maybe 7-8 m onths abroad.

My wife`s PD is still not reached .its 22 sep 2002 as of this month.. I am very much stuck .I donot want to leave her here as there are many problems of her living here. I do not want to end up in a divorce.

Well if they have a record of departure why they always ask me how long did I stay out.
They don't have 100% of the records for 100% of the people. But you don't know if you are in the 5% or 10% (or whatever) for whom they have incomplete records. And even if they have all the records for you, it might not be easily accessible with a mouse-click (somebody may have to run additional queries in the system). So they'll ask you how long, make a note of it in the system, and then somebody behind the scenes can compare your statements with their records at a later time if they want to, including when you apply for citizenship.

Other times they have your records but just want to see if you're lying or if you're using a stolen green card (somebody who stole the card probably doesn't know the last time the owner left or entered the US).

Other times they have your records but just want to see if you're lying or if you're using a stolen green card (somebody who stole the card probably doesn't know the last time the owner left or entered the US).

Exactly. One time when passing US Immigration in Toronto they asked who sponsored my Green Card, despite having it on their screen (and the card itself). I answered, "my employer". And off I went.

Something I will strongly advise is to always tell the truth to immigration officer cause you never know what he knows about you. good luck