• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2008 Lucky Winners From Nigeria

BELOW WAS MY INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE YESTERDAY

I arrived at the embassy at about 5.20 am. I could not believe my eyes that as at that time the place was full.

It was 6.30 am that DV people were call to the line
At the gate we were told to open ALL envelopes.

I was given DV 6.

After all formalities like paying the fees etc, I was called to window 13 at about 9.20 am.

AND THE CHAT WENT THUS:

US Officer(USO): Good morning
Me: good morning ma
USO: U are here cos you won the DV lottery?
Me: yea
USO: lift up your right hand and say after me.
Me: I did
USO: what are your names?
Me: bla bla
USO: when were you born?
Me: Bla bla
USO where were you born?
USO:How many times did you do waec?
Me: once
USO: what was your highest grade?
Me: Physics
USO: why?
USO: and what was your lowest grade?
Me: Geography
USO: What university are you?
USO: what level and course are you?
USO: do you know where you're going to stay in US?
Me: yea, and I quoted the address for her
USO: what is the man(sponsor) to you?
Me: my cousin
USO: give me a minute pls
Me: ok ma
AND SHE CAME BACK WITH A BLUE SLIP.

USO: AND SAID, " CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"
Me: thank you ma.

USO: do not make any travel arrangements till you collect your visa next week.
Me: yes ma.

My dear people, this is my story; please join me to thank the Living God who has done this for me.

May I use this medium to thank everyone in this forum for all their contributions like answering of questions, suggestions, advising and the likes, may Almighty God reward you all. Amen.
Those awiting interview God will do it for you all. Amen
Congratulations!!! The favour shall go round...

Navigator,
i must join in to glorify the Lord for his mercies in the HOUSE....dis testimonies shall continue to manifest.....Congrats once again.

Hello Tazmania,

I can see from your signature that you are through with the hurdles.
Thank God for you.
Please can you advise the fate of DV winners with regards to health insurance. I am due to travel first week of october and hope to give birth 2nd week while waiting for my green card. Are new DV winners entitled to Medicaid pending when they get jobs and start paying insurance?

Can anyone in the house answer this please? Your responses will be very much appreciated.

This si good to here, i think u guys are making a very good decision.
pls tell ur hubby that there are a lot of african and spanish stores in the states and they sell all the stuff, so food is not a problem, it is settling in that is the big deal and all these depend on the type of infor u get in the states, it is not bad after all and it is worth all the stress, it is just that u need time to settle in.
God bless ur decisions

Hello Modest,

Pleease can you throw some light on health care for new DV immigrants in the States (especially for childbirth for someone who is just entering). Are DV immigrants entitled to Medicare or Medicaid before settling down with a job?

Your urgent response will be HIGHLY appreciated please

Unfortunately this is not the case. It's either you enroll for health insurance yourself or get a job that gives you that benefit in which you can include your family.

Hello Modest,

Pleease can you throw some light on health care for new DV immigrants in the States (especially for childbirth for someone who is just entering). Are DV immigrants entitled to Medicare or Medicaid before settling down with a job?

You should be fine. The hospital you go to will definitely treat you. It will eventually be paid for by medicaid. Medicare insurance are reserved for seniors and people with disabilities. Upon entry at the POE, you will be given all the rights of a greencard holder by virtue of the stamp in your passport while you wait for the card.

The issue I see is that you may not be allowed to board the plane since you are in your final weeks of pregnancy. The chances that you may have your baby while in flight is high and thus you may be ask to wait until you had your baby. I will advise you to check into this more than worrying about healthcare insurance

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Modest,

Nobody is paying for your medical bills. Do you realize that more than 40 million Americans do not have insurance and trust me, those are the people that you see in ER's waiting for 6 hrs before an ER doctor can see them.
You'll either buy an insurance policy when u get here which is very very expensive if you'll have to pay it urself or you'll have to pay all medical bills outta pocket.
I don't know what medpharm is saying about Medicaid, that is not correct. Remember you had to submit for I-863, so whoever that signed the form for you will be responsible for ya for 3 yrs. And if the government should happen to absorb any of your medical bills, your sponsor might be held responsible for it.
Also know that normal delivery here in the states can be very expensive. It cost anywhere from $6000-$10,000. Plan ahead so that you don't end up in debt just like most people here.

Nobody is paying for your medical bills. Do you realize that more than 40 million Americans do not have insurance and trust me, those are the people that you see in ER's waiting for 6 hrs before an ER doctor can see them.
You'll either buy an insurance policy when u get here which is very very expensive if you'll have to pay it urself or you'll have to pay all medical bills outta pocket.
I don't know what medpharm is saying about Medicaid, that is not correct. Remember you had to submit for I-863, so whoever that signed the form for you will be responsible for ya for 3 yrs. And if the government should happen to absorb any of your medical bills, your sponsor might be held responsible for it.
Also know that normal delivery here in the states can be very expensive. It cost anywhere from $6000-$10,000. Plan ahead so that you don't end up in debt just like most people here.

Johnkent.. You are missing the point. Yes there are 47 mln unisured in the country. At the same time there are 35 mln on Medicaid and other state-sponsored sector plus SCHIP in the country.Not to mention 43 miln on medicare. If she is in labour and she heads to the ER, her baby will be delivered without/with insurance. If you do not believe, try it. It looks as you have being in the USA long enough that I do not need to educate you on this matter. Note, not all government services that an immigrant uses fall under the concept of "public charge". Please review the accompanying "sponsorship documents" that defines what is viewed as public charge.

As for the cost associate with the service that is an after thouoght and there are various programs out there to assist those in need. For a lack of a better phrase... that is what your tax dollars are paying for... that is those who are less fortunate who are in the USA either legally or illegally.

What is more important is the fact that she is just days from delivery and she is planning to fly.. that is more of a scary decision than worrying about if she willl be able to get a hospital to deliver her baby upon she entering the USA legally.

Johnkent.. You are missing the point. Yes there are 47 mln unisured in the country. At the same time there are 35 mln on Medicaid and other state-sponsored sector plus SCHIP in the country.Not to mention 43 miln on medicare. If she is in labour and she heads to the ER, her baby will be delivered without/with insurance. If you do not believe, try it. It looks as you have being in the USA long enough that I do not need to educate you on this matter. Note, not all government services that an immigrant uses fall under the concept of "public charge". Please review the accompanying "sponsorship documents" that defines what is viewed as public charge.

As for the cost associate with the service that is an after thouoght and there are various programs out there to assist those in need. For a lack of a better phrase... that is what your tax dollars are paying for... that is those who are less fortunate who are in the USA either legally or illegally.

What is more important is the fact that she is just days from delivery and she is planning to fly.. that is more of a scary decision than worrying about if she willl be able to get a hospital to deliver her baby upon she entering the USA legally.

Ofcourse she'll get help if she ends up in the ER. what about prenatal care? trust me, most physicians would not see her if she's got no insurance. I don't know what state u live in but in most states, u do not qualify for medicaid because u are a permanent resident or just got into the country on a GC. Again, most of the illegal u are talking about that are getting medicaid use fake social security numbers and yes, do say that they are US citizens when they aren't.

I'll say it again. There is no free healthcare in America.

Congratulation for a successful interview am happy for you. Sorry could not reply have been preparing for my final exams.

best of luck in the states.:):)
BELOW WAS MY INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE YESTERDAY

I arrived at the embassy at about 5.20 am. I could not believe my eyes that as at that time the place was full.

It was 6.30 am that DV people were call to the line
At the gate we were told to open ALL envelopes.

I was given DV 6.

After all formalities like paying the fees etc, I was called to window 13 at about 9.20 am.

AND THE CHAT WENT THUS:

US Officer(USO): Good morning
Me: good morning ma
USO: U are here cos you won the DV lottery?
Me: yea
USO: lift up your right hand and say after me.
Me: I did
USO: what are your names?
USO: when were you born?
Me: Bla bla
USO where were you born?
USO:How many times did you do waec?
Me: once
USO: what was your highest grade?
Me: Physics
USO: and what was your lowest grade?
Me: Geography
USO: What university are you?
USO: what level and course are you?
USO: do you know where you're going to stay in US?
Me: yea, and I quoted the address for her
USO: what is the man(sponsor) to you?
Me: my cousin
USO: give me a minute pls
Me: ok ma
AND SHE CAME BACK WITH A BLUE SLIP.

USO: AND SAID, " CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"
Me: thank you ma.

USO: do not make any travel arrangements till you collect your visa next week.
Me: yes ma.

My dear people, this is my story; please join me to thank the Living God who has done this for me.

May I use this medium to thank everyone in this forum for all their contributions like answering of questions, suggestions, advising and the likes, may Almighty God reward you all. Amen.
Those awiting interview God will do it for you all. Amen

Ofcourse she'll get help if she ends up in the ER. what about prenatal care? trust me, most physicians would not see her if she's got no insurance. I don't know what state u live in but in most states, u do not qualify for medicaid because u are a permanent resident or just got into the country on a GC. Again, most of the illegal u are talking about that are getting medicaid use fake social security numbers and yes, do say that they are US citizens when they aren't.

I'll say it again. There is no free healthcare in America.

I concur that there is no such thing as free healthcare, but her question was would she need insurance in order to deliver... and the answer is NO.... As which state do I live in, I have live in 4 states to date.. spanning from midwest to east coast. Not to mention the fact that I am intimately aware of programs across all region and states that administer healthcare for the under privilage.

My point is there is no need for rhetorics and scare tactics for new immigrants. The culture shock alone is more than most can bare and thus providing advice that is well measured and inclusive of everything will be appreciated by people that are already scared about making such a life changing choice.

I concur that there is no such thing as free healthcare, but her question was would she need insurance in order to deliver... and the answer is NO.... As which state do I live in, I have live din 4 states today.. spanning from midwest to east coast. Not to mention the fact that I am intimately aware of programs across all region and states that administer healthcare for the under privilage.

My point is there is no need for rhetorics and scare tactics for new immigrants. The culture shock alone is more than most can bare and thus providing advice that is well measured and inclusive of everything will be appreciated by people that are already scared about making such a life changing choice.

Am not scaring anyone. Most people get dissappointed when they get here because some folks told them how easy it was in the US and how free everything was.
From her question, she asked if she could get on Medicaid as soon as she gets to the US until she can get a job and can afford private Health insurance and the answer is NO. You can't do that.

I have to agree with Johnkent. I think you misunderstood her question. She clearly asked whether she can obtain medicaid until she get a job, not "do i need insurance to deliver my baby?", thus my reply to her was also no, she needs to organize it herself or until she can get it as part of her employment benefits.
Hospital will definitely still treat her though-just at a cost, if no health insurance.

Hi all, i just got hold of this forum today and must say am hapy with the contributions in here. Am Kong currently studying in the UK. I won DV 2009 and got my notification late match 2008. I sent the reply one week later and i just got the second NL and my interview is scheduled for oct 1 2008.
I would like to seek your advise on this. On the first form i gave the date when i will b through with my BA which was Sept 2008 but indicated the BA will be pending. But is rather unfortunate i could not finish on the aforementioned date because i caught ill and could not write my thesis.
Any one can help me on this.....what advise would you give me if am asked for the BA though i will carry my transcript along. Please i need your opinion

interviewed at last

Hey guyz I finnally had a successful interview today whew. :D I am glad this is over. To all those who are still waiting good luck. To all those who hel;ped me especially John Kent Kudos to you all.

I have to agree with Johnkent. I think you misunderstood her question. She clearly asked whether she can obtain medicaid until she get a job, not "do i need insurance to deliver my baby?", thus my reply to her was also no, she needs to organize it herself or until she can get it as part of her employment benefits.
Hospital will definitely still treat her though-just at a cost, if no health insurance.

Not to be labour the point, but you need to get to the bottomline of her question, which is she is pregnant and she expect to deliver within the week she lands in the USA. Hence her question was in regards to her labour & delivery more than her medicaid/medicare.

We can all accept that it is unlikely that she will be able to land employment in such a short time. Additionally from her comment you can deduce that she does not completely understand the healthcare system, i.e. she is throwing words such as medicare and medicaid around, yet failing to realize that there are requirements a person has to meet in order to qualify for these gov't funded programs. Furthermore even though a person may qualify for either one of these programs, that person may still incur cost for their healthcare, such as co-payment, etc..

To put this topic to bed.... my comment is; people need to be candid about life and issues in USA, but at the same we need to also realize that immigrants (regardless of either DV, employment, or family-sponsored) have available to them agencies they can turn to upon entry in the USA, so that they can integrate into the society in an effectlve and rapid manner. So let us take care with our comments and feedback to individual's questions

Hey guyz I finnally had a successful interview today whew. :D I am glad this is over. To all those who are still waiting good luck. To all those who hel;ped me especially John Kent Kudos to you all.

am happy for ya. girl, where have u been all theses while?
did u ever write to the uscis office in kansas city? just curious.
congratulations.

Not to be labour the point, but you need to get to the bottomline of her question, which is she is pregnant and she expect to deliver within the week she lands in the USA. Hence her question was in regards to her labour & delivery more than her medicaid/medicare.

We can all accepted that it is unlikely that she will be able to land employment in such a short time. Additionally from her comment you can deduce that she does not completely understand the healthcare system, i.e. she throwing words such as medicare and medicaid failing to realize that there are requirements a person has to meet in order to qualify for these gov't funded programs. Furthermore even though a person may qualify for either one of these programs, the person may still incur cost for their healthcare, such as co-payment, etc..

To put this topic to bed.... my comment is people need to be candid about lfe and issues in USA, but at the same we need to also realize that immigrants (regardless either DV, employment, or family-sponsored) have agencies they can turn to so that they can integrate into the society in an effectlve and rapid manor. So let take care with our comments and feedback to individual's questions

I agree with you
medicaid= for the less fortunate
medicare= over 65 yrs old senior citizens
source of money= tax payer
Nobody cares as to who sponsored you here, if you will be counted as a legal immigrant who has no source of income and we will pay for you (tax)
I've seen it happening several times, it doesn't matter which state you live it is a federal program.

am happy for ya. girl, where have u been all theses while?
did u ever write to the uscis office in kansas city? just curious.
congratulations.

Hey yes i wrote to their office. But it didn't do any good cos I hadn't sent the 375 to kcc!!!:eek: But I am glad thats over with. My laptop broke so that hampered my ability to post and I have been busy with school. But I got a new one now so I will be more active on the forum. Thanks once again.

Hey yes i wrote to their office. But it didn't do any good cos I hadn't sent the 375 to kcc!!!:eek: But I am glad thats over with. My laptop broke so that hampered my ability to post and I have been busy with school. But I got a new one now so I will be more active on the forum. Thanks once again.

ooh man, come on. how could u forget the $375. Am glad its all stories now. Enjoy ur new status.