OCI - Washington DC Tracker

For my daughter it took exactly 2months and had no issues sending in self attested copies of all documents.
For my new born 3 month old son iam yet to get acknowledgement,mailed the application on 02/08/2010.But this delay in acknowledgement is not due to notarized issue,but regular processing has been slow since mid january

FYI, I did apply for 4 copies of original birth certificates the first time itself so that if one is lost/destroyed I can have spare ones

Thanks garu1gsr, hitraj. gsr, did you get it signed by a notary at your bank or someother place?
hitraj, did you get OCIs for your daughter and son without delays?
In case I cannot find any notary that can do this, I am thinking of sending the original and copy of the birth certificate. Copy would be self-attested. I would file for another original from Dept of Vital Stats.

I got it done at a credit union. The person spent a lot of time putting all the attestations, writing and signing. As hitraj suggested, it may just be fine with self attestation. Good Luck.

I am ready to send my OCI application, and noticed on the DC Embassy website that they need the original Indian Passport at this stage. When my wife applied last year, we sent the US and Indian Passports together after the docs were received from Delhi at the DC office. Has the process changed now? What is everybody doing? Are you sending the Indian Passports along with the application or are you waiting until its time to send the US passport?

As an aside, I have a previously cancelled Indian passport (expired). Do I need to send that aswell?

TIA

2010citizen,
Recently AyyoGC had writtten about sending Indian PP along with app and got approved.See the context below

Posts 14 Got OCI for me and daughter. Hope this helps. I mailed my Indian passport and daughter's PIO card when I sent in the application. I got the two documents back with cancellation stamps

Mailed OCI on December 15, 2009
Acknowledgement - December 29, 2009
Scanned - January 8, 2010
Granted - January 12, 2010
Printed - January 13, 2010
Package Sent - January 15, 2010
Documents received at DC- January 21, 2010
Mailed passport to DC - January 22, 2010
Passport received at DC - January 25, 2010
Passport with OCI - Received January 29, 2010

2010citizen,
Recently AyyoGC had writtten about sending Indian PP along with app and got approved.See the context below

Posts 14 Got OCI for me and daughter. Hope this helps. I mailed my Indian passport and daughter's PIO card when I sent in the application. I got the two documents back with cancellation stamps

Mailed OCI on December 15, 2009
Acknowledgement - December 29, 2009
Scanned - January 8, 2010
Granted - January 12, 2010
Printed - January 13, 2010
Package Sent - January 15, 2010
Documents received at DC- January 21, 2010
Mailed passport to DC - January 22, 2010
Passport received at DC - January 25, 2010
Passport with OCI - Received January 29, 2010

Thanks hitraj, I've decided to send my Indian passport now.

Its a stupid question but I"ll go ahead and ask it anyway. Are we required to include all 7 pages of the application? The last 4 pages of Part B are just the instructions and I am planning to discard them.

Thanks hitraj, I've decided to send my Indian passport now.

Its a stupid question but I"ll go ahead and ask it anyway. Are we required to include all 7 pages of the application? The last 4 pages of Part B are just the instructions and I am planning to discard them.

What the hell, I decided to include all the pages and just mailed my application. Didnt want to take any chances with the Indian Embassy.

2010citizen ,
Welcome for the long wait for acknowledgement.We still have Jan 21 mailing applicants waiting for acknowledgement!!!

Spouse's OCI Application Status: I hope this helps to many of our group members

Total time taken to complete the process: 49 Days
Application sent DC: Jan 13th, 2010
Recd @ DC: Jan 14th
Acknowledged: Jan 25th
Scanned: Jan 28th
Status changed to
Granted: Feb 12th
Doc's Printed: Feb 15th
Dispatched
from India: Feb 17th
Recd @ DC: Feb 23rd
US Passport
sent to DC: Feb 23rd
Recd @DC: Feb 24th
US Passport &
OCI recd by me: March 3rd 2010

Not as quick as the previous post by NHTN, but looks like they finally woke up. Just check both my sons applications and they have acknowledged on March 3rd 2010. Applications were mailed on Feb 2nd and received by embassy on Feb 3rd.

With the current processing speed I will be happy if I get the whole process completed by April 30.

Got acknowledged today...

Seems they do batch processing every week
By Acknowledgment, does that mean they already sent the application to Delhi ? since I see time difference between acknowledgement to scanned as 2-3 days for earlier applicants !!!

OCI applicant tracking
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
02/08/10 : Mailed to Washington
02/09/10 : Reached Washington.
03/03/10: Acknowledged
xx/xx/10: Scanned ???
xx/xx/10: Granted ???
xx/xx/10: Printed ???
xx/xx/10: Dispatched from Delhi ???
xx/xx/10: Recd @ Wash.: ???
xx/xx/10: Mailed US Passports to Wash ???
xx/xx/10: Passports recd. at Wash ???
xx/xx/10 : OCI Recd!

Last edited by a moderator:
gee24: Let me know when your application gets acknowledged.

Whiteone AND HITRAJ:

MY APPLICATION HAS BEEN ACKNOWLEDGED TODAY (MARCH 3RD)

Gee24

01/23/10 : Mailed to Wash.
03/03/10: Acknowledged (WOW)

xx/xx/10: Scanned ???
xx/xx/10: Granted ???
xx/xx/10: Printed ???
xx/xx/10: Dispatched from Delhi ???
xx/xx/10: Recd @ Wash.: Mailed US Passports to Wash ???
xx/xx/10: Passports recd. at Wash ???
xx/xx/10 : OCI Recd!

OCI Process Completed

Mailed OCI on January 11, 2010.
Received at Washington, DC on January 13, 2010.
Acknowledgement - January 25, 2010
Scanned - January 28, 2010
Granted - February 10, 2010
Printed - February 10, 2010
Package Sent - February 11, 2010
Documents received at DC- February 18,2010
Mailed passport to DC - February 20, 2010
Passport received at DC - February 22, 2010
Passport with OCI - March 3, 2010

OCI Process Completed

HI AIRGURU:

CONGRATS:

YOU ARE GURU.................AND YOU FLY IN AIR..... SO YOURS WAS PROCESSED PRETTY FAST......

ENJOY

GEE24

Gee24,

I think hard part is over for you too. Usually the longest time taken is for acknowledgement. Once the application is acknowledged, things move fast. I won't be surprised if you receive approval and OCI in hand by the end of March!

Overall, I was impressed with how quickly my application was processed. I did my wife's OCI two years ago. What I discovered then was if you tell OCI cell that you are in a hurry (which we were!), then the process is unmistakably slowed down so you have to get a temporary visitor visa. That time I had written to consulate several times and called several times requesting expedited processing to no avail. This time, I did not bother contacting Consulate even once. Seems like that helped!

Good luck to you and others who received acknowledgement yesterday. I think, unfortunately Consulate found a "legitimate" excuse to delay processing due to massive snow storm that hit us recently. You and others should be on your way to getting OCI approved soon. Trust me, hard part is over now!:)

Airguru

The Documents received at DC on 04-FEB-2010.

To be on the safe side, since the Express Mail Rate has increased recently, I will be sending them an additional $5 stamps to affix on my envelope.

Thanks cpzinga for your response to my earlier question.

Docs received at DC on 04-FEB-2010
Mailed Passports to DC - 06-FEB-2010
Passports Recvd in DC - 16-FEB-2010 (due to snow etc)

Till today 04-MAR-2010, I have not yet received my passports back !!

Questions on OCI APPLICATION. PLEASE REPLY

Hello,

I am applying for my OCI appl at Washington , here are few questions i have

1) My wife last name got changed from here birth name to her married name , we did this at our Citizenship/Naturalization , i am getting a notraized change name afiidavit and witiness signatures, DO I NEED TO ADVERTIZE IN News papers for the Last Name Change Only

2) Fees question:

i am applying for me ,spuse and kid , so the fess is 275 * 3 , WHAT ABOUT THE $ 20 towards mail charge is it One 20 $ or 20 * 3 for each applicant.

3) Can we send all the applicants in one package , what is the beast way to send USPS,UPS,FEDEX.

Please reply thanks

Hello,

1) My wife last name got changed from here birth name to her married name , we did this at our Citizenship/Naturalization , i am getting a notraized change name afiidavit and witiness signatures, DO I NEED TO ADVERTIZE IN News papers for the Last Name Change Only

2) Fees question:

i am applying for me ,spuse and kid , so the fess is 275 * 3 , WHAT ABOUT THE $ 20 towards mail charge is it One 20 $ or 20 * 3 for each applicant.

3) Can we send all the applicants in one package , what is the beast way to send USPS,UPS,FEDEX.

Please reply thanks

I cannot advice you on item 1 as I have no exerience in name change.

Item 2 - You need to send only $20 for all of you and not $60 for 3 applicants. I would recommend sending one check for the total amount including shipping.

Item 3 - Forms for all applicants must be sent in one package as you will be applying as a family. Part A is common for the whole family and you will print 3 copies of Part B application and fill it for each family member.

Make sure you read through instructions and send all that they have asked. They need three 2" x 2" pictures of each family member on a colored background. I included a cover sheet to let them know what I am sending. Make sure you make copies of Indian Passports so you have documentation if needed later.

I would recommend sending it by priority mail with delivery confirmation. It only costs about 6 or 7 dollars and you are able to track delivery. Do not send it by registered mail as it further delays receipt by the Consulate.

Good Luck to you and your family!

Airguru

on item #1, last name change because of marriage does not require any news paper or court approval.

Hello,

2) Fees question:

Please reply thanks

whiteone / hitraj

Do we send the $20 mailing fee along with the original application or when we send the US passport for stamping?

I was a little confused as we send the Indian Passport along with application and they send it back within a couple of weeks after cancellation...

Thanks

It is best you send the $20 along with the application. Should they have to return your application for some reason, they can use that. Or, you can send a prepaid USPS envelope instead of the $20.
On another note, I did not send my original Indian PP with my application, I only sent them a notarized copy of the pp.
You can send the Indian PP aling with the US PP, after the OCI is recd in DC by the embassy.

Hope this helps!

whiteone / hitraj

Do we send the $20 mailing fee along with the original application or when we send the US passport for stamping?

I was a little confused as we send the Indian Passport along with application and they send it back within a couple of weeks after cancellation...

Thanks