GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Folks,

I have a quick question. I am filing for just my father. My mother passed away in Dec 2009. So, do I give information about my mother in the section 11 of my father - Names of Prior Husbands/Wives. The date the marriage ended is the expiry of my mother. Let me know what the answers need to be.

Thanks

Hello,

My wife will be applying GC for her mother. We live in Richmond, VA. Where do I send my application ? How much time it's taking now ? My mother-in-law is in USA on visitors visa.

Questions about applying for AOS for mum

hi-
I could not find an answer to this question in the thread. I would appreciate if someone could help me.

I am a USC and my mom has a 10 year visa. She came to US on Feb 1, 2010 and now, I want to apply for her GC. From the thread- I understand that I can submit I130 and I485 concurrently- (please correct me if I am wrong).
1. Should I wait for a certain minimum time (60 or 90 days) after her arrival to apply?
2. Her I94 is valid for 6 months. If I wait for say 90 days and her AOS does not get approved before her I-94 expires, can she legally continue to stay in USA (till her application gets decisioned)
Thanks much for your help
Sam

Hi all. Need your help. I am in the process of applying for GC for both my parents.

My father's name as it appears in the visa is shown as follows

Given Name

abcdefghijl 123456789101 ------------ 12 + 12 = total of 24 characters

Surname

abcdefj -------------- total of 7 characters

My questions are

Do I write down the long Given Name (in the visa) under First name in all the application forms - I130, I485 etc... ?
If Yes, the First name actually contains two names with 12 characters in each, is that ok ?
Is Surname same as the Family name ? (I think it is but wanted to double check)
What about the middle name ? Leave that blank ?

thanks

Hello im new here so i dont know anything about anything..
I got my citizenship a few years ago .. now i want to bring my mom to live with us .. i dont work cause 1 .my english is pretty bad .. and 2 i have a 2 year old baby .. well the thing is i want to know can my husband be my mom's sponsor? he is in the navy .. also i read the form I 130 and my mom is married but she is separate from my dad like 16 years ago .. but she still married .. its that going to be bad for her to get the visa?
thanks for your help in advance please i need to know soon... i need real help on how to do this thankssss!!

You still have to file I-864 for your mom since you are the one applying I-130 for her but if you cannot financially support your mom your husband can be a joint sponsor. i don't think her marriage is the issue.. Still have to mention that she is married though but that her husband has no intention of moving to the States.
Read instructions for I-864 about financial stuff. It all explained pretty well there. G'luck.

Confused on when to submit Affidavit of Support

Hi All! I am currently petitioning my parents and have already paid the IV Fee online. Both showed PAID when I checked the payment status last week. But I'm confused on whether I can submit the Affidavit of Support now or if there's another instruction I need to wait from NVC before I can submit the Affidavit of Support forms. The NVC site in the Document Collection section states "If the NVC has contacted the applicant or petitioner to submit the applicant documents or the Affidavit of Support documents, print the following forms...". I have all the filled up forms ready with supporting documents but unsure if I can send them now.

Thanks all!

Hi raj,
First of all thx for useful informations.
We are doing my Minlaws GC process thru CP (chennia consulate) .

After I 130 approval u have mentioned that alll the documents (biirth cerificate, police ceritficate etc) should be directly submitted to NVC.

pl go thru this link
immihelp.com/gc/consular/instructions-for-immigrant-visa-applicants.html

the above link clearly states that applicants in standard review consulates should not send any of the documents to NVC and all the documents should be submitted at the time of interview. India( chennai) comes under the standard review consulte.

So can we make a guess the u guys didn't come under starndard review consulate. pl calrify this... thx in advance.

GC for my dad

Folks,

It has been a while since I came to immigration.com. This site has been extremely useful when I did the FTJ for my wife. Now I am back here for a different purpose.

My dad is in USA and I would like to sponsor green card for him. I am a naturalized US citizen. I have a few questions and some body can throw some light

1) How long should I wait before I can start the process? Typically how much time did it take for putting the application together?

2) Is approaching a lawyer necessary? Has any body done that? How much do they usually charge and if some body has done it from Phoenix can you give me any referrals?

Thanks in advance.

Srinivas

Hi guys, hope you are enjoying the Spring :)

Well I have received a query for my Father's I130 petition. It needs a proof that my mother and his wife are the same person. Here's the trivia.

My mom's name on my birth certificate is her married Name say e.g. "Moonmoon Sen" (LOL)
My mom's name on her marriage certificate is her maiden name say e.g. "Kajol Devangan" (again :))
My mom's name on passport is "Moonmoon Sen".

Now NVC is asking to prove that "Moonmoon Sen" & "Kajol Devangan" are the same person with the picture ID proof. Affidavits are not accpted.

Now how the hell I produce this evidence? Anyone??

Hi All! I am currently petitioning my parents and have already paid the IV Fee online. Both showed PAID when I checked the payment status last week. But I'm confused on whether I can submit the Affidavit of Support now or if there's another instruction I need to wait from NVC before I can submit the Affidavit of Support forms. The NVC site in the Document Collection section states "If the NVC has contacted the applicant or petitioner to submit the applicant documents or the Affidavit of Support documents, print the following forms...". I have all the filled up forms ready with supporting documents but unsure if I can send them now.

Thanks all!

I actually have the same question. For the Consular Processing, the Petitioner gets a notice to pay the $70 fee for I-864, then the instructions on the notice say: After printing the Cover Sheet for the fee paid, go to "Affidavit of Support Processing Instructions" link. In that link it clearly warns you NOT to do anything until getting the permission from NVC. Should the petitioner wait for something else to come in the mail before sending the affidavit forms?
And, another question: In here, http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD, under Special Instructions, it reads:
"All sponsors must submit the following documentation with their I-864:
Proof of current employment or self employment"
However, in the form I-864, in the Check List, it says: "You may submit this information for the most recent three taxyears , pay stub(s) from the most recent six months, and/or a letter from your employer if you believe any of these items will help you to qualify."
Which one should we trust???

You can file after 90 days of your Dad's entry to US.

I did file for my parents (Consular Processing) and my MIL (AOS here in US) by myself and all of them got approved without lawyer and without any RFE's.

You need to mail the following for your Dad:

I-130, I-485, I-864, G325A, I-693

You need Originals Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate of your Dad and your Original BC and Original MC.

Hope this helps...Good Luck! Thanks, Raj

Folks,

It has been a while since I came to immigration.com. This site has been extremely useful when I did the FTJ for my wife. Now I am back here for a different purpose.

My dad is in USA and I would like to sponsor green card for him. I am a naturalized US citizen. I have a few questions and some body can throw some light

1) How long should I wait before I can start the process? Typically how much time did it take for putting the application together?

2) Is approaching a lawyer necessary? Has any body done that? How much do they usually charge and if some body has done it from Phoenix can you give me any referrals?

Thanks in advance.

Srinivas

That might be old info..... Chennai is Appointment post.....

Not only me and lot of other Indians...r submitting all required documents to NVC and getting approved.............and do not know about that site...as i followed this site and visajourney.com and my parents cases are completed.

Check this site for more info..

http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents-overview

http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/186733-i-130-progress-list/page__st__2400

You will get all the ORIGINALS you submitted to NVC at the time of interview....

Hope this helps....Good Luck! Thanks, Raj

Hi raj,
First of all thx for useful informations.
We are doing my Minlaws GC process thru CP (chennia consulate) .

After I 130 approval u have mentioned that alll the documents (biirth cerificate, police ceritficate etc) should be directly submitted to NVC.

pl go thru this link
immihelp.com/gc/consular/instructions-for-immigrant-visa-applicants.html

the above link clearly states that applicants in standard review consulates should not send any of the documents to NVC and all the documents should be submitted at the time of interview. India( chennai) comes under the standard review consulte.

So can we make a guess the u guys didn't come under starndard review consulate. pl calrify this... thx in advance.

You can submit Affidavit of Support as soon the payment status changed to PAID. You need to print the Document Cover Sheet and send this cover sheet along with all the required documents. You will not get another email from NVC stating when to send...the initial AOS fee email states that as soon as the payment status changes to paid...you need to print the document cover sheet and send it to NVC.

You can do more reading on this forum..

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/186733-i-130-progress-list/page__st__2400

Thanks all!

Parents' Immigrant Visa Approved ... How late can they come to US before the expiration of Visa?

Hi,

My parents have Immigrant Visas approved in Chennai. As most of you are aware the Visa is only for 6 months. Can they land in US just before the expiration date of the Immigrant Visa? Will there be any issues if they land here that late? They have to take care of few things back in India before they come to US.

Thank you,

Chennai Medical Exam

Reply to the following question :

I guess the apointment was scheduled approximately 2 months earlier, with in a week of the reciept of the interview notification.
The telephone number given in the notice was pretty helpful. They had to go to Apollo in Chennai. The experience was very good.

The sealed medical reports will be given with in a day, but you have to request it. Or else there is chance for delay.

Not sure how many, but they did get vaccinations. From what I understood, it's not bad.

Hope this helps.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions.
chennai medical exam
Hi, Saw your posting that your parents visa was approved in Chennai. Since my parents also need to go to Chennai (from Kerala), would you be kind enough to share your parents experience with the medical exam at Apollo
1) How long before the interview did they schedule the appointment
2) How many days did it take to get the sealed medical report
3) Did they have to take a lot of vaccinations ? How many ?

Hi All
This forum really helped me a lot with my Green Card. I became a naturalized citizen recently. I want to sponsor my mom. Here is roughly how I am thinking of doing it. Please note, my mom has 10 year multi-entry visa and visits me for a few months every year.
From what I gather, I can do CP or AOS once she is here.

- What is the relative time taken for CP? And what is it for AOS?
- For AOS, how soon after she is here next can we file for her AOS?
- Is one more certain than the other? Or if and why people prefer one over the other?
- If she has been staying in the US for close to 6 months for the last 2 visits (different calendar years), but never overstayed, does it negatively impact her candidature?

- Down the line, my wife wants to sponsor her parents too. If I file for my mom and she files for her parents, is that ok, or do we have to (or should we) declare who else we have sponsored?

- I am not sure if demographics plays into this - I am from India. I had the regular, simple employment based GC and I duly converted that to Citizenship after 5 years. My question is, in my mom's case, is the case simple (and almost certain)? Or will it be as jitter filled and nerve racking as ours - although things went smoothly, we were always on the edge of the seat as so many things could go wrong. I guess I just want to be mentally prepared as I start the process. One fear I have in my Mom's case is that in the last 2 years, she has visited us regularly and stayed like 5+ months (essentially to be here during the birth and later to be with her grandchild). Is that a negative? I remember the custom official once telling her that if you return too soon, we may not grant you the regular 6 month stay. Just asking.

And thanks again for the replies. This forum rocks!

Hi, thanks to this amazing forum and many helpful users, I am ready to file green card applications for my parents. Just one final question for those who successfully filed I130/I485/I131/I765 concurrently for both of their parents.

How do you package your applications? Do you attach one check for everything, or one for each parent, or one for each application (1 for mother's i130, 1 for mother's i485, 1 for father's i130, 1 for father's i485)?

What I plan to do is

1. Cover letter - simply states that this package includes the original submission of i130/i485/i131/i765 (concurrently) as well as supporting documents for my mother and father.
2. Separate each application with paper clip and attach a cover letter for each to list forms and supporting documents
(1) i130 for mother
cover letter
check
supporting document list
(2) i485/i765/i131 concurrently filing with i130 for mother
(3) i130 for father
cover letter
check
supporting document list
(4) i485/i765/i131 concurrently filing with i130 for father

Please let me know how you handle it and thanks in advance for your great help.

Birth Certificates

My parents do not have birth certificate and neither do I. My birth certificate itself was an affidavit from them.
Can you let me know what options I have regarding these birth certificates?

Thanks

What is the relative time taken for CP? And what is it for AOS?

I applied for my parents (CP) and at the same time my wife for her Mom(AOS while staying with us in US). For my parents it took 5 months from the day i started to the interview date for CP and might vary a month or two for other cases. For my Mother-in-law it took pretty much the same time for AOS.

For AOS, how soon after she is here next can we file for her AOS?

You can file after 90 days of their port of entry date.

Is one more certain than the other? Or if and why people prefer one over the other?

Depends on your situation and your parents situation. Since i did CP for my parents and AOS for MIL, i do not see much differences between the two except that for AOS you will submit all applications/documents once where as for CP you will file I-130 first and then after it is approved, you will start the process at NVC (AOS Fee, I-864 and DS-230).

If she has been staying in the US for close to 6 months for the last 2 visits (different calendar years), but never overstayed, does it negatively impact her candidature?

This should not affect.....as my MIL was here few times and all the time she was here close to 6 months....

Down the line, my wife wants to sponsor her parents too. If I file for my mom and she files for her parents, is that ok, or do we have to (or should we) declare who else we have sponsored?

I do not see any issues with this at all......as you will be the petitioner for your parents and your spouse will be petitioner for his/her parents...

(I am not a lawyer but all these are based on my expeirences and experience reading other member posts....)

Hi All
This forum really helped me a lot with my Green Card. I became a naturalized citizen recently. I want to sponsor my mom. Here is roughly how I am thinking of doing it. Please note, my mom has 10 year multi-entry visa and visits me for a few months every year.
From what I gather, I can do CP or AOS once she is here.

- What is the relative time taken for CP? And what is it for AOS?
- For AOS, how soon after she is here next can we file for her AOS?
- Is one more certain than the other? Or if and why people prefer one over the other?
- If she has been staying in the US for close to 6 months for the last 2 visits (different calendar years), but never overstayed, does it negatively impact her candidature?

- Down the line, my wife wants to sponsor her parents too. If I file for my mom and she files for her parents, is that ok, or do we have to (or should we) declare who else we have sponsored?

- I am not sure if demographics plays into this - I am from India. I had the regular, simple employment based GC and I duly converted that to Citizenship after 5 years. My question is, in my mom's case, is the case simple (and almost certain)? Or will it be as jitter filled and nerve racking as ours - although things went smoothly, we were always on the edge of the seat as so many things could go wrong. I guess I just want to be mentally prepared as I start the process. One fear I have in my Mom's case is that in the last 2 years, she has visited us regularly and stayed like 5+ months (essentially to be here during the birth and later to be with her grandchild). Is that a negative? I remember the custom official once telling her that if you return too soon, we may not grant you the regular 6 month stay. Just asking.

And thanks again for the replies. This forum rocks!

My wife applied for her Mom here in US. You will separte checks for each application and the way you are planning to do looks good. You can put all applications in one big envelope and can mail it together....this way both of them will be processed together.

Good Luck! Thanks, Raj

Hi, thanks to this amazing forum and many helpful users, I am ready to file green card applications for my parents. Just one final question for those who successfully filed I130/I485/I131/I765 concurrently for both of their parents.

How do you package your applications? Do you attach one check for everything, or one for each parent, or one for each application (1 for mother's i130, 1 for mother's i485, 1 for father's i130, 1 for father's i485)?

What I plan to do is

1. Cover letter - simply states that this package includes the original submission of i130/i485/i131/i765 (concurrently) as well as supporting documents for my mother and father.
2. Separate each application with paper clip and attach a cover letter for each to list forms and supporting documents
(1) i130 for mother
cover letter
check
supporting document list
(2) i485/i765/i131 concurrently filing with i130 for mother
(3) i130 for father
cover letter
check
supporting document list
(4) i485/i765/i131 concurrently filing with i130 for father

Please let me know how you handle it and thanks in advance for your great help.