Add Passport renewal experience at Indian Consular Offices in US

I got it quickly

I sent to Washington DC for Renewal after 10 years.

They received it on Nov 30th.

Passport shipped on Dec 5th. (Just in 4 business days)

I got it back on Dec 6th.

Sent it thru FedEx overnight, got back in USPS Express.

Washington DC seems to work relatively faster.

My friend who lost his passport in FedEx while sending to Washington DC, applied and received his duplicate passport in 12 business days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Houston in person

Does anyone know if we go to the Houston Consulate in person is it faster?

Also, is there an expedited service for this ? like tatkal in India

I know that there is a "premium processing", if you will, for passport processing and the fee for that is $90. I believe that the applicant should establish a reason for faster processing and the applicant needs to go to Houston consulate in person.

If you have a week's time, try sending yours to Washington DC even though you are in Houston's jurisdiction. If all the documentation is sent, they may process it at DC itself.

Good luck.

Can we take it up with Ext.aff.min.

Just wondering if we all as community can take up this issue to the External affairs minister or whoever visits here every once in a while to pay lip service to the great deeds of non-resident Indians. Let's just ask him if being born in India is such a "curse" that it stays with you even when you leave the country! and until you give up the Indian citizenship.

ravimittal said:
I sent in my issue of duplicate passport 11 weeks ago using CIBT services. Even the agency is so pissed at the Indian Consulate (Houston) unprofessional behavior that they have given up. They have went there so many times to collect my passport but everytime they get only 1 answer "We are working on it.". I have same experiences with the messed up consulate, no email replies, no answer to phone, no place to leave voice mail as it is full... Man, there has to be a limit to all the crap we have to take to deal with these ass*&^3#.
Ravi, my husband's passport was recently lost in the airport. I contacted CIBT based on your message and in vain got to know that they don't do this service(may be anymore..with your experience!!!). I have few questions and was wondering if you or any one else who has experienced the same could help me in this regard.
1. Did you get your duplicate passport. If yes, how long has it taken overall?
2. Is it better to visit the consulate(for us it is Washington DC) in person?
3. Does 90$ expedited process require any special situation or can we get that done for no specific urgency reason but for our personal comfort?
Phew..loosing a passport is such a painful experience...but we have to do what we have to do..All the best to the rest of you folks waiting for your renewed Passports.
Sudha

Everyone who sent their passports to Houston, CGI for renewal please post your timelines here.

Application recd by Houston, CGI - 12/20/06
Still awaiting.

beware chicago consulate

I went to the Chicago consulate to hand in my us passport to obtain an indian visa 2 weeks ago. They told me to call in 2 weeks, that number never works. Always goes to voicemail. So I went yesterday, they cannot find my passport. It has somehow "vanished".They won't admit that they lost it, "its here somewhere" was their explanation. Not helpful as I'm supposed to leave in 3 days; Its so infuriating. They won't even help me in anyway. They won't even admit they're at fault. Is there any legal action I can take? I don't feel they should be allowed to get away with this. :mad:

houston really sucks!

I submitted my wifes passport for name change on the 9th of november and the houston consulate said they will send it back in 6 weeks. i tried calling them after sic weeks but no one picked up the phone. i mailed them a hundred times , faxed them, called them but nothing is happening. then one day a dumb lady picked up the phone but she said she cannot do anything she is just an operator.. the passport has not come back yet and it is 30th of jan.. ITS BEEN THREE MONTHS NOW. and i dont have the passport backk. Please tell me what can i do.. i have to go to india and i am not able to go.. please help i am in dispair or i dont have words for this feeling rather..
thanks ...... mohsinundefined

hum1 said:
I am in the same boat as you guys. . I sent my passport to Houston consulate 6 weeks ago.
Nobody picks up the phone. Mailbox are full. I tried email/fax. It is very frustrating. Also they have differnt infomation on differnt website.
I am not sure of what to do.

Does anyone have experience?
same is happeing with me.. did u get ur back now.. mine has been gone for more than 10 weeks now..

abhishekd said:
I have sent my passport on 2 Oct 2006 and I havent heard anything from them..and also trying to get in touch with them.... I plan to visit houston in person. Since I dont have my passport I cannot fly and I need a ride to houston and its almost 9 hrs from my place...I guess thts the only way to find the status of the passport.
hi.. did u go to the embassy in person or they send it to u.. mine has been gone for a long time.. more than 10 weeks.. i am really worried

rkadava said:
These b@st@rd$ received my passport on 23rd October. Three voice mails, two faxes and four emails. No one responded so far. What the hell are they doing sitting on their @$$e$.

I am frustrated with my queries. We have a travel in January ending. That is not even the worst part, we are moving in two days and I don't know how to get the passports to my new address.

Does any one have ANY idea how to or whom to contact? You will be of great help.
same thing happening with me.. i send it on 9th nov and nothing yet.. well u can go to the post office and ask them to forward ur mails to ur new address.. ok.. let me know what happens and when u get it.. and let me know if u get any means to find a solution..

irrational said:
Interesting...

I am going to the Houston Consulate tommorrow.. I'll update you guys what they say.
please let me know what they said to u.. even i am planning to go to houston in person now. and i have to come all the way from oklahoma

YoungIndia said:
Just wondering if we all as community can take up this issue to the External affairs minister or whoever visits here every once in a while to pay lip service to the great deeds of non-resident Indians. Let's just ask him if being born in India is such a "curse" that it stays with you even when you leave the country! and until you give up the Indian citizenship.
well even ministers suck but we can stil try.. i think media is a better way

Passport renewal at Chicago consulate

Indian work culture does not change anywhere it seems.

Passport sent on Dec 15th 2006

They received it on Jan 5th 2007 (I think Christmas & New year delay)

Till now, no response from them after mails/faxes/phone calls(goes to message) etc.

What should we do? any other higher authority to complain.

try visiting in person. somebody else has posted their experience under this same forum.
babu95 said:
Indian work culture does not change anywhere it seems.

Till now, no response from them after mails/faxes/phone calls(goes to message) etc.

What should we do? any other higher authority to complain.

Received passport from Chicago consulate

Today I have received passport from Chicago Consulate:

Timelines:
I received the passport on Feb 2nd 2007 (Overnight)

I still believe there should be some proper response system at the Consulate