Visiting Canada on H1B

mukki

Hi,
This is Mukki.. I am in US on H1B visa and want to go to Canada for few days to meet my nephew and sister.

I have few doubts regarding travelling to Canada on H1B.
I searched a lot on the net but couldnt find relevant information.

Are their any constraints with travel to Canada ?
Will there be any issues with I94 when i enter again into US ?
Will US gov stamp a new date on I94 or older one will be valid ?
What difference does it make if I travel to Canada by Air or by Road ?

Any information on this regard would be a great help for me.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-- U might need a cdn visa to travel to canada.

-- If your H1b visa is valid , no problem

-- They may but should not affect you anyway

-- No difference as such

---- You will need to get a Candian visa, to travel to Canada.
I had got a Candian visa in Seattle sometime back and here is a link with some details.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/menu-en.asp?act=v&did=1398&mid=12&cat=1569&typ=1

---- Should be none. You should have your passport with valid visa and the Notice Of Action form (form 797 - h1B approval) at the port of entry when you re-enter the U.S.

--- When you leave the U.S. to visit Canda for a period which is less than 30 days, then the airline is not supposed to take your 1-94 when you depart the U.S. On re-entry you will have the same I-94 which is stapled to your passport, but an immigration officer will ask you the standard q's and take your biometrics(US Visit, capture finger print and picture) and stamp an entry stamp on your passport.

If the I-94 was removed by the airline when you left the U.S. you will be issued a new I-94.

But, like the previous response said whether you have the old I-94 card or a new one is of no consequence.

---- I have travelled twice to Canada -- once by air and once by road.

The details for rentry when I flew are as above, answer to your previous question. (I had been to Toronto, Dec 2004)

When I travelled by road, the ony difference was that there was no interview at the border post on entry. Only the visa and form I-797 was checked. This information is dated as my road trip to Vancouver, Canada was in July 2002 and things may have changed since.

Thanks a lot guys. Above information is really helpfull for me..
I was having a lot of confusions :))

I am planning to cross the border by Road and in that case I94 shouldn't come into picture at all. Is this correct ?

That should be the case.

However, If the I-94 was removed at the border post when you leave the U.S. you will be issued a new I-94 on re-entry.

But, like the previous response said whether you have the old I-94 card or a new one is of no consequence.

My persnal experience when I visited by road was they left the I-94 in the passport. The rule is if you travel to Canada is less than 30 days, then the I-94 should not be removed at exit.

Remember to carry the I-797 (blue form, H1 approval notice) with you, as they will ask for this and the pasport when you re-enter the U.S.

H1B work permit visit Canada

Hi All,

I am in valid H1B status working in Seattle WA. However, after traveling out of USA last May then came back, the two entries within 3 months H1b visa on my passport is expired now.

If I want to visit Vancouver Canada for a one or two day's trip from Seattle, should I apply H1B visa to come back to USA before going to Canada? I already get my Canada visiting visa.

If yes, where should I do my USA h1b visa for coming back to the states?

Please kindly advice.

Thank you.

Anny

Very Usefull Information

@BadeMiyan

Wao Man.... I had somany doubts related to the same topic.
Thanks for your replies above. I really Appreciate it.

Cheers...!!!
Amrit

Lost H1b,H4, I94, canada visit visa and restamping of h1 and h4 in canada

Hi,

Recently I lost passport with h1b and I94. Also passports of my family with H4 and I94's.

I got the police report and applied for the new passport.

Since getting new I94's will cost 320 x 4 = 1280 dollars for me, I am planning to get a Canada visit visa and then go to Canada for the re-stamping of h1 and h4.

I have few queries as follow,

1. Will I be able to go out of USA without I94 and comeback after restamping with new I 94. I have the Visa Approval and validity forms.

2. For the re-stamping of the lost h1 and 4 Visa, is there any fee charged?

3. Will Canada visit visa be issued without I94 copies?

Thanks and Regards,

Gopinath

Going to Canda for H1 B stamping with low salary 20$ hour

Hi,
I am working in a small company as a full time employee. i was hired as a web developer.
I have applied for canada visa and got approval.
I am planning to go to canada for my H1B stamping because of my low salary i am afraid to go there.
I have worked for this company for almost 3 years with the salary of 20 dollars an hour. i have all my pay stuffs with me. Since i did my masters here from USA will i have problem stamping my visa with low salary?

With my Masters degree in computer science, full time job and low salary , I am in desparate need.
Your help is highly appreciated.
Regards,
Ram

Can I leave USA?

I have got H1B approval and now I am working in USA. I am a Canadian citizen. This is my first H1B. After getting H1B approval, I did not leave USA. My wife is with me on H4 approval. She also did not go out of USA. Now we are planning to visit Bangladesh. Few questions, please help us.
Q1. Do I need to go to Canada to get my I-94 first and re-enter into USA? Then should I visit Bangladesh? Is it necessary?
Q2. Can I leave my wife inside USA (she has H4 approval notice), when I go to USA-Canada border to re-enter and get new I-94? The officer may ask where about my wife. Do I need to take her with me? But she is not a Canadian citizen but she has Canadian permanent residency.
Q3. If I do not go to Canada border and if we just go to Bangladesh, then as a spouse she will apply for H4 visa stamping in USA consulate in Bangladesh first. At that time, the computer will show that I have only H1B approval. Do you think that her visa application can be affected. If her visa gets denied, will it creat any problems during my re-entering to get I-94?

Please help us. I am really looking forward. Many many thanks in advance.

Regards
Hory

I am in US on H1B visa and I need to go outside US and get new Date on I-94 or Entry date on Passport. This is all because of my passport is expiring 1yr ahead H1B Visa.

I have few doubts regarding travelling to Canada on H1B.

Will there be any issue a new I94 when i enter again into US ?
Will US gov stamp a new date on I94 ?

Any information on this regard would be a great help for me.

Thanks,
SV

Can I leave USA?

I have got H1B approval and now I am working in USA. I am a Canadian citizen. This is my first H1B. After getting H1B approval, I did not leave USA. My wife is with me on H4 approval. She also did not go out of USA. Now we are planning to visit Bangladesh. Few questions, please help us.
Q1. Do I need to go to Canada to get my I-94 first and re-enter into USA? Then should I visit Bangladesh? Is it necessary?
[SV] Go to Canada get Visa on your Passport then go wherever you want. ie Bangladesh or US

Q2. Can I leave my wife inside USA (she has H4 approval notice), when I go to USA-Canada border to re-enter and get new I-94? The officer may ask where about my wife. Do I need to take her with me? But she is not a Canadian citizen but she has Canadian permanent residency.
[SV]: No one ask about your Spouse. If she leaves and come back to US then she need H4 Visa on her passport. I'm not sure how she entered into US.

Q3. If I do not go to Canada border and if we just go to Bangladesh, then as a spouse she will apply for H4 visa stamping in USA consulate in Bangladesh first. At that time, the computer will show that I have only H1B approval. Do you think that her visa application can be affected. If her visa gets denied, will it creat any problems during my re-entering to get I-94?
[SV]: I assuming your spouse citizen of Bangladesh. if that's true then she can get her H4 Visa on her passport. She need to provide your I-797 copy as per her visa documentation.

Hope this helps

Hi Team, Need your advice.

While in US I got my Visa status change in November 2015 (from L1b to H1b).
I am working since January 15 2016 on H1b with my new company.

For last 1 year we had our application pending for Canada PR. And it got approved this week. We are asked by Canadian Authorities to enter Canada and get out PR Card within 2 months and to keep the PR Active.
Now we don't have any issue entering Canada but the trouble is we would need to get out H1b stamp while being in Canada and to reenter US.

Is H1b Visa stamping possible in Canada at a US Consulate there?
Generally, if we have the necessary docs (Pay Stubs, Approved i-797, Experience Letter etc.) then is it safe and advisable to get our H1b stamping in Canada and not our home country (India)?
And generally how many days it takes?

Pls. advice as accordingly we would take next steps.

Thanks

Shouldn't you be able to go to Canada and return to the US on Automatic Revalidation without getting a visa?

I am an Iranian currently living in US and I am on H-1B visa. I would like to go to Canada for a 2 day trip. I know Iran does not qualify for automatic re validation. Does that mean going to Canada would be like travelling to any other country and I have to apply for visa and do the process from point zero(same risks same timeline?) Any way I could make it easier from inside US?
I really appreciate your responses.