• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump and the DV lottery

sorry didnt sign it yet.. but the decision been taken and its a matter of time to become officially

so the chances in risk for us in case it happen?

sorry didnt sign it yet.. but the decision been taken and its a matter of time to become officially

so the chances in risk for us in case it happen?

Like Simon said, the executive order is yet to be signed, therefore speculating on its impact is pointless since we don't know precisely what it is likely to cover.

Big changes on the immigration executive order signed . For now the biggest hit is on the refugee resettlement program which has been suspended for 120 days.

All immigration from these countries is also suspended for 90 days: Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Sudan, Somalia and Yemen

so now its officially signed the EO.... any expectation scenario for us?
is it confirm the winners of these countries suspended at least for this year GC?

Nationwide protests after the immigrant ban from 7 Muslim countries..unprecedented stuff.

Just giving you a different perspective, when speaking of 'unprecedented'.
https://mic.com/articles/166845/the...mpiled-by-the-obama-administration#.28ZM7rlgt

To state the obvious, there's a massive difference between getting a bill through congress that requires certain travelers to have to go to interviews to get visas rather than allow them to use the visa waiver program, and signing an executive order that totally bans them from entering the US even if they have green cards.
And Obama's bill was certainly was not the first time countries have changed the rules of who can get visas with or without interviews. The UK has done this before for example.
As for blanket bans on entry of nationals from certain countries, please provide a concrete example to back your assertion that Trump's move is not unprecedented. Of course, an example from a modern western democracy would be nice. (North Korea doesn't really count as an example, and the US ban on Chinese immigration way back when is the kind of racist stuff the country is supposed to have moved past last century, never mind this one.)
Trying to say "the list is the same" is just about irrelevant.

Last edited:
@OnTheGo I appreciate critical thinking and making an effort not to simply consume media that simply confirms your current ideas.. but that link is kind of dumb, sorry. It's an ENTIRELY different matter! It's requiring people that have previously visited those 7 countries to going through a stricter process as they now have an association with one of those countries. It's not placing a BLANKET ban on certain nationals!

If I recall correctly, the State department did stop processing refugee applications from Iraq in 2011 for around six months. So there has been similar action undertaken in the past, but that action was taken in response to a direct threat and was not a blanket ban.

Trump is a hammer in search of a nail. You can pause visa applications (as stated above, it's been done before, albeit in a targeted and clever way) to strengthen the vetting process, but I absolutely and vehemently disagree with not letting GC holders in wholesale. These people own homes, cars, have kids in school. They have a whole life here: without proof and due process that they have done something wrong, this is mind boggling.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, the State department did stop processing refugee applications from Iraq in 2011 for around six months. So there has been similar action undertaken in the past, but that action was taken in response to a direct threat and was not a blanket ban.

Trump is a hammer in search of a nail. You can pause visa applications (as stated above, it's been done before, albeit in a targeted and clever way) to strengthen the vetting process, but I absolutely and vehemently disagree with not letting GC holders in wholesale. These people own homes, cars, have kids in school. They have a whole life here: without proof and due process that they have done something wrong, this is mind boggling.
I certainly would agree with the "hammer in search of a nail" - very appropriate comparison indeed @EmilyW. In terms of legal considerations, the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, Pub.L. 82-414, enacted a provision in Title 8 of the U.S. Code at Section 1182(f) that gives the president authority to “suspend the entry” of any class of foreign-nationals when the president deems their entry to be “detrimental to the interests of the United States.” No other standard is defined in this law for the exercise of this power, and it has been exercised in the past on several occasions by presidential proclamation, suspending entry of certain classes of foreign nationals. This would include LPR's/Green Card Holders, if so stipulated. Hence my earlier recommendation for DV folks to acquire US/Dual Citizenship as early as possible.

The 1952 law on entry was superceded (IN INTENT) by the 1965 INA. The 1965 law was intended to stop the discrimination against groups. Since visa issuance is linked to entry, the intention was clear, but Trump is trying to rely on the word entry from the 1952 law. It's wrong, I believe it will be overturned bUT in the meantime we are being made to look like a bunch of bigoted liars who authorize people to stay and th en pull the rug out from under them, based on their nationalty (but really, based on their religion). Given the nature of THIS forum, I would hope we would all stand against this behavior.

To add the obvious, when Trump and his spokespeople say that there can be exceptions made for Christians and other minority religions... it's totally obvious this is a ban on Muslims! I have to say, that I do know a few people who generally support Trump, and even they find this indefensible. (There are those, like onthego, who seeing its indefensible but not wanting to admit that try to deflect attention on something or other Obama did. This isn't gonna work. Obama and Clinton aren't around anymore and Trump has to take responsibility for his decisions now.)

And I'm sure it's a total, total coincidence that none of the Muslim majority countries where Trump has business ties are on this list - some of which have actually been sources of terrorism in the past, unlike the ones in the current list.

To add the obvious, when Trump and his spokespeople say that there can be exceptions made for Christians and other minority religions... it's totally obvious this is a ban on Muslims! I have to say, that I do know a few people who generally support Trump, and even they find this indefensible. (There are those, like onthego, who seeing its indefensible but not wanting to admit that try to deflect attention on something or other Obama did. This isn't gonna work. Obama and Clinton aren't around anymore and Trump has to take responsibility for his decisions now.)

And I'm sure it's a total, total coincidence that none of the Muslim majority countries where Trump has business ties are on this list - some of which have actually been sources of terrorism in the past, unlike the ones in the current list.

Susie, you are wrong in your assumption! I have not with one word stated that I would in fact defend Trump's actions as it is playing out right now.
When I linked that article, with reference to the term 'unprecedented' as used by Guriix further up, I did NOT mean the actual outright BANNING of entry from these seven nations but the allegation that Obama had already picked those very same nations for restrictions on immigration.

I do NOT support all that comes out of that man's mouth or mind...I once stated a while ago that I could see merit in some of his plans as far as the economy and dealing with illegal immigration is concerned, but I am not impressed with his rhetorical and diplomatic skills, or his lack of common sense.

Okay?

@OnTheGo I appreciate critical thinking and making an effort not to simply consume media that simply confirms your current ideas.. but that link is kind of dumb, sorry. It's an ENTIRELY different matter! It's requiring people that have previously visited those 7 countries to going through a stricter process as they now have an association with one of those countries. It's not placing a BLANKET ban on certain nationals!
I understand that, thanks...I just wanted to add the fact that the list of seven countries apparently wasn't something created by the T administration - I did not mean to 'defend' his actions in that regard, at all. I am flabbergasted myself that this would even ban legitimate visa holders wanting to return. I am sorry if me quoting the word 'unprecedented' was taken the wrong way.

Susie, you are wrong in your assumption! I have not with one word stated that I would in fact defend Trump's actions as it is playing out right now.
When I linked that article, with reference to the term 'unprecedented' as used by Guriix further up, I did NOT mean the actual outright BANNING of entry from these seven nations but the allegation that Obama had already picked those very same nations for restrictions on immigration.

I do NOT support all that comes out of that man's mouth or mind...I once stated a while ago that I could see merit in some of his plans as far as the economy and dealing with illegal immigration is concerned, but I am not impressed with his rhetorical and diplomatic skills, or his lack of common sense.

Okay?

Ok.

I feel bad for those who actually were on their way to the US to be told that they can't enter the US... Unlucky