• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump and the DV lottery

Sorry for cross posting a second time but I put this in the wrong thread earlier .... :oops: it belongs here:

Federal Judge James Robart, a George W. Bush appointee who presides in Washington state, temporarily stopped the order. US Customs and Border Protection then alerted airlines the US government would quickly begin reinstating visas that were previously canceled, and CBP advised airlines that refugees that are in possession of US visas will be admitted as well, an airline executive said

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/03/p...rump-travel-ban-nationwide-ag-says/index.html

Trump must be having his head explode in anger. I have no doubt they will challenge this, but the standard that needed to have been met for the TRO is encouraging.

The actual order is here:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2017/images/02/03/state.of.washington.v.trump.pdf

Thanks for proper link.
And indeed he's exploding, yet again venting at the judge. Gee, a president with respect for the courts would be nice. I almost feel like I'm back home :-/

With one thousand , one hundred and twenty, three thousand and ninety seven lawyers standing by...

I actually like Trump.... He is just looking out for his country. Keeping it safe from radical terrorism. Those people were let out....After being questioned. Nothing wrong with that. AMERICA was built on Christian principles. ... Over time the bibles got taken out the school system... Christianity got lost. America needs to go back to its roots. Trump is the only President who actually took the name of Jesus. What guts. I think we have another Kennedy, Regan, Lincoln in our hands. He is the modern day Cyrus. AMERICA is very lucky to have Trump. Trump has changed a lot in the last 2 years. He gave his life to Jesus. He Is the president who will keep all his promises. Everything that he promised he will do it. I love the man. He is chosen by Jesus. America has one chance.....Donold J Trump. And all liberals PANIC.
Heck I don't care if I don't get to go to usa. ..at least that country is in good hands at least for the next 4 years. unlike Obama, a closet muslim who did nothing for 8 years. Trump is the president of mega jobs, an education system where kids get best education, health care that is accessible, factories that will remain on the usa soil, ypu guys don't realise what an awesome president he really is. America has allowed people from all backgrounds to settle in their land. People have taken advantage of America. Time to look after your own now. TRUMP GOD BLESS YOU. GOD BLESS AMERICA .

I actually like Trump.... He is just looking out for his country. Keeping it safe from radical terrorism. Those people were let out....After being questioned. Nothing wrong with that. AMERICA was built on Christian principles. ... Over time the bibles got taken out the school system... Christianity got lost. America needs to go back to its roots. Trump is the only President who actually took the name of Jesus. What guts. I think we have another Kennedy, Regan, Lincoln in our hands. He is the modern day Cyrus. AMERICA is very lucky to have Trump. Trump has changed a lot in the last 2 years. He gave his life to Jesus. He Is the president who will keep all his promises. Everything that he promised he will do it. I love the man. He is chosen by Jesus. America has one chance.....Donold J Trump. And all liberals PANIC.
Heck I don't care if I don't get to go to usa. ..at least that country is in good hands at least for the next 4 years. unlike Obama, a closet muslim who did nothing for 8 years. Trump is the president of mega jobs, an education system where kids get best education, health care that is accessible, factories that will remain on the usa soil, ypu guys don't realise what an awesome president he really is. America has allowed people from all backgrounds to settle in their land. People have taken advantage of America. Time to look after your own now. TRUMP GOD BLESS YOU. GOD BLESS AMERICA .

Please take your bullsh*t conspiracy theories somewhere else. Obama is not Muslim and Trump is nowhere near a true Christian, though he's happy to use the evangelical votes. And yes, America has allowed people from all backgrounds to settle in it...and that's precisely what makes it great. Apple the company exists thanks to the son of a Syrian immigrant, as just one example.
Chosen by Jesus, what crap. Jesus chooses a lying cheating corrupt adulterer who spreads hate? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Also as a point of FACT the separation of church and state was a founding principle of the US so this fallacy certain (definitely not all) Christians try create that it was founded as a Christian nation is false. It's used by people to try alienate others. But if you bother to read the constitution you'll see it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of religion.

There is so much nonsense in this post I just don't know where to start. BUT since it is entirely off topic, I'll ignore it and ask everyone else to do the same. If people engage, we will probably just delete the posts without further warning.

Shekina. Please don't post this sort of stuff again. You are entitled to your views, but please keep your comments on topic.

I heard they revoked over 100,000 legal visas, I read an article which stated that Trump gave hameland special authority to revome any legal visa, they used to ask to sign a from if they refuse they threatened to ban them for 5 years. No one knew about this coz they did not disclose it until Tuesday.

I heard they revoked over 100,000 legal visas, I read an article which stated that Trump gave hameland special authority to revome any legal visa, they used to ask to sign a from if they refuse they threatened to ban them for 5 years. No one knew about this coz they did not disclose it until Tuesday.
Had to google this to see for myself...unreal! I hope some Federal judge will prosecute the individual BPA's who acted against the law by coercing these people into giving up their visas or green cards on arrival, based on nothing but lies.
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/o...after-trumps-immigration-ban-2017-2?r=US&IR=T

They're "unrevoking" the visas till now. And CBP currently has discretion to still let people in on visas revoked under this, but I'm not sure that's a risk I'd want to take if I were travelling. Next judgement about to come down. Probably will go to the Supreme Court by whoever loses but the interim ruling will prevail in the meanwhile, so let's see.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/02/07/david-perdue-seeks-to-eliminate-immigrant-lottery-program/

I'm not familiar with this website, but this article came up in my Google feed this morning.

Edit - a better source http://reut.rs/2lgjcwp
"The bill, "Reforming American Immigration for Strong Employment Act" (RAISE Act), would limit the number of family-based visas so that only spouses and unmarried minor children of citizens and permanent residents can get green cards. Currently the law also allows for parents of citizens, as well as siblings, both married and unmarried children over 21, along with their spouses and minor children.
One exception would be allowed. Elderly parents in need of caretaking would be able to get renewable temporary visas, but the parents would not be allowed to work, receive public benefits, and they would have to show guaranteed support of health insurance by the sponsoring children.
The two senators also want to nix the diversity lottery, which grants 50,000 visas each year to people from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.
Thirdly, their bill would cap the refugee program at 50,000. According to Pew, the US allowed in 84,995 refugees in the fiscal year which ended in September 2016, the most in any year during the Obama administration."
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/07/politics/cotton-perdue-immigration-bill/

The two senators also want to nix the diversity lottery, which grants 50,000 visas each year to people from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.

Well, I hope that common sense will prevail. If you look at my comment #6 in this thread, you will see the following graph which shows the insane proportion of "family based" visas issued each year compared to skill-based or diversity lottery based visa programs.

Speaking of common sense, the word 'diversity' alone may endanger the program to be cut out, if it all came down to one man deciding...but I am not familiar with the process when a bill is being presented and how it goes from there. It always seemed to take ages for it to even be considered, generally spoken. Has anything changed since the new Administration took over, as far as this is concerned (as a result of power shifts)?

atlas_By0Sdxukl.png

Well, I hope that common sense will prevail. If you look at my comment #6 in this thread, you will see the following graph which shows the insane proportion of "family based" visas issued each year compared to skill-based or diversity lottery based visa programs.

Speaking of common sense, the word 'diversity' alone may endanger the program to be cut out, if it all came down to one man deciding...but I am not familiar with the process when a bill is being presented and how it goes from there. It always seemed to take ages for it to even be considered, generally spoken. Has anything changed since the new Administration took over, as far as this is concerned (as a result of power shifts)?

atlas_By0Sdxukl.png
Yes, this describes the issue the bill seeks to address. Nobody can predict if, how quickly and in which final form this bill will move forward, however with both houses and the presidency controlled by one party, there certainly is potential for this to move forward in some form and fashion.

[...] you will see the following graph which shows the insane proportion of "family based" visas issued each year compared to skill-based or diversity lottery based visa programs.[...]

atlas_By0Sdxukl.png
Please be careful when providing statistical material. What you show is NOT what the title of the graph insinuates. Employment-based admissions are not typically from IVs issued at foreign posts – what your graph is about (?).
In 2015 there were 144k employment-based admissions compared to 214k family-sponsored.
Source:
https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/yearbook/2015/table6

T

atlas_By0Sdxukl.png
They are going to present bill end of this year and they says that chances of passing bill are very slim.

Please be careful when providing statistical material. What you show is NOT what the title of the graph insinuates. Employment-based admissions are not typically from IVs issued at foreign posts – what your graph is about (?).
In 2015 there were 144k employment-based admissions compared to 214k family-sponsored.
Source:
https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/yearbook/2015/table6

I'm not sure where exactly they found the data, it says USCIS but doesn't actually link out to it directly. This is where the diagram was taken from: https://qz.com/803831/how-a-unique-...-diversity-alive-50000-green-cards-at-a-time/

Perhaps the numbers are based on actual immigration in that year rather than visa issuance, but that wouldn't really make sense in the context of the article - so I couldn't be sure.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where exactly they found the data, it says USCIS but doesn't actually link out to it directly. This is where the diagram was taken from: https://qz.com/803831/how-a-unique-...-diversity-alive-50000-green-cards-at-a-time/

Perhaps the numbers are based on actual immigration in that year rather than visa issuance, but that wouldn't really make sense in the context of the article - so I couldn't be sure.
'Family' could be the category of immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (465k in 2015), not 'family-sponsord'. No idea what 'Employment' could be.