• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Hello friends
My son is now 14 years & 32days, what part I have to select 2j or 2g1?
The AOS USCIS location office is Chicago or the local office who did the interview ?
? I wish if there is aform or example to follow for this case
Thanks. Sam

Wow! You still haven't filed it? You waited until your son crossed the 30 days' window which would have exempted you from paying the filing fee? Well since your son is now 14 years and 32 days old, he's no longer eligible to select the option 2.g1. You'll need to select option 2.j which requires both the biometric fee and the filing fee.

Refer to pg. 31 of the ELIS Customer User Manual for further guidance:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/USCIS ELIS/USCIS_ELIS_Customer_User_Manual.pdf

Page 5 of the I-90 form instructions also clearly says (and it provides more guidance on how to fill out the form by the way):

Item Number 2.g2. I have reached my 14th birthday and am registering as required. My existing card will expire BEFORE my 16th birthday. (NOTE: If you are filing this application before your 14th birthday, or more than 30 days after your 14th birthday, you must select reason "2.j."
https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-90instr.pdf?download=1

The USCIS location refers to the FO/local office that approved your case.

Thanks a lot
Is file online ok?

Wow! You still haven't filed it? You waited until your son crossed the 30 days' window which would have exempted you from paying the filing fee? Well since your son is now 14 years and 32 days old, he's no longer eligible to select the option 2.g1. You'll need to select option 2.j which requires both the biometric fee and the filing fee.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/USCIS ELIS/USCIS_ELIS_Customer_User_Manual.pdf

Page 5 of the I-90 form instructions also clearly says (and it provides more guidance on how to fill out the form by the way):

Item Number 2.g2. I have reached my 14th birthday and am registering as required. My existing card will expire BEFORE my 16th birthday. (NOTE: If you are filing this application before your 14th birthday, or more than 30 days after your 14th birthday, you must select reason "2.j."

The USCIS location refers to the FO/local office that approved your case.[/QU

The USCIS location refers to the FO/local office that approved your case.

Thanks Mom
The link is really helpful. We appreciate your heart to help all the people here.
Bless you all

QUOTE="Sm1smom, post: 2445726, member: 12"]Wow! You still haven't filed it? You waited until your son crossed the 30 days' window which would have exempted you from paying the filing fee? Well since your son is now 14 years and 32 days old, he's no longer eligible to select the option 2.g1. You'll need to select option 2.j which requires both the biometric fee and the filing fee.

The USCIS location refers to the FO/local office that approved your case.[/QUOTE]
Thanks a lot
Is file online ok?

So I have an unlocked GSM Sony Xperia Z5 Compact, though looking through pages and pages of pre-paid phone providers, most are either CDMA networks or only accept certain GSM phones. I was wondering if anyone has experience with bringing their unlocked GSM (SIM card) phone and finding a plan with great data? I'm sure I'll find a solution!

We brought our phones across and got a pre-paid plan with AT&T for $40 a month with 2gb of data. Works for us.

Hello friends,
What is your advise for the income for both of us as a couple, we receive salary as voulateee work, sometimes up and some times down, is that make different in the SSN in the future if the salary maximum under one of us and the other less or nothing some times? Or the benefit will be for both of us in the end?
Thanks for your help.
We really appreciate your hard work in this web to help the people.
Thanks

Either method of filing is fine. Stop overthinking it.
I sent it in paper and sent the notice says they received the case and waiting the bio letter but I received text message says bio is scheduled.
It doesn't need interview? After the bio will send a new GC with the same dates and for 10 years?
Thanks

I sent it in paper and sent the notice says they received the case and waiting the bio letter but I received text message says bio is scheduled.
It doesn't need interview? After the bio will send a new GC with the same dates and for 10 years?
Thanks

No interview required for a replacement GC. Yes a new card will be sent after the bio - mind you it will take a couple of months after the bio before you receive the replacement card, so don't start stressing if you don't get it in about 1-2 months after the bio.

Hello all,,, nice to see you are still all here. Cant believe its two years ago now.. i dont recall i have ever done so much paper work in so short a time,,, social security, drivers license retake, obamacare, homeowners insurance, umbrella insurance, vehicle insurance, HOA stuff, flood insurance, landline for phone, decal for cars, homestead exemption, chart school application, high school application, transcripts verification, tax filing, FBAR filing, finding a doctor, school health exams for kids, update vaccination records, car loan, equity line of credit, bank accounts, investment accounts,,, second year..... renovating everything I did the year before....

Weird questions - Anyone with work connections in NYC. I am finding this job hunt extremely hard without a degree in the big city. I've been at it for about nine weeks now, and have only had three telephone interviews and am about to have my first in person. All the recruiters I have been working with seem a bit... lax to say the least.

Weird questions - Anyone with work connections in NYC. I am finding this job hunt extremely hard without a degree in the big city. I've been at it for about nine weeks now, and have only had three telephone interviews and am about to have my first in person. All the recruiters I have been working with seem a bit... lax to say the least.

The thing with places like NY, is that there are a lot of jobs, but there are also a lot of (often very highly qualified) applicants. If the field you're in usually has degreed applicants, it will be that much harder. What field are you in?
Are you tailoring your resume to the keywords of each job ad so that you don't get auto-rejected by a computer before a human even gets to read it?

The thing with places like NY, is that there are a lot of jobs, but there are also a lot of (often very highly qualified) applicants. If the field you're in usually has degreed applicants, it will be that much harder. What field are you in?
Are you tailoring your resume to the keywords of each job ad so that you don't get auto-rejected by a computer before a human even gets to read it?
Hi Susie,
Yeah, I am becoming more aware of that every passing day! In Australia there isn't as much of a push for needing a degree. I worked in Financial Services, happily lead a team of seven for a major U.S firm. In NY I wouldn't be able to work as the folk in the team I used to manage...

Yes, I've been tailoring the resume each time, trying to beat the beast. I've been having much more success with smaller start-ups that larger firms. I suspect as they are trying to "disrupt" whichever field they are working in, they may not be using applicant tracking systems as readily.

I have a three hour interview on Monday, so fingers and toes that it'll be my last!

Oh P.S - I market myself as a customer experience professional, and most recently worked in financial services, but I'm open to many industries.

I've read a few times that in the US they don't recognise foreign degrees all that readily anyway, so maybe you aren't missing out on much? I'm thinking about starting an (online) MSc in May but it's with a UK university. I'm concerned that getting it would be useless if I'm to end up in the US..

I've read a few times that in the US they don't recognise foreign degrees all that readily anyway, so maybe you aren't missing out on much? I'm thinking about starting an (online) MSc in May but it's with a UK university. I'm concerned that getting it would be useless if I'm to end up in the US..

In my experience, these claims are vastly overstated. I know many - MANY - people with degrees from, especially, South Africa and the U.K. who have had no problem using their degrees to land jobs in the US (and I'm specifically excluding people like doctors who need to get US licenses, I know a lot of those too. 7 people in my high school class became doctors and 6 of those are in the US... ). Often people will take a step back career-ladder-wise at first but as far as degrees are concerned - no issue. It probably helps if you're somewhere like NY or the Bay Area where there are lots of foreigners working to begin with, of course.

FYI: I have encountered some...scepticism about online degrees though, especially those where there doesn't seem to be much of an entrance requirement. As these degrees become more popular and especially as more and more name brand unis start offering them, I'm guessing they'll become more accepted, but there are definitely people who don't think of them as "real" degrees. I'm not saying it's fair... if the degree is from a reputable uni it's every bit as valid as a bricks and mortar degree.... but it is an opinion some people hold.

In my experience, these claims are vastly overstated. I know many - MANY - people with degrees from, especially, South Africa and the U.K. who have had no problem using their degrees to land jobs in the US (and I'm specifically excluding people like doctors who need to get US licenses, I know a lot of those too. 7 people in my high school class became doctors and 6 of those are in the US... ). Often people will take a step back career-ladder-wise at first but as far as degrees are concerned - no issue. It probably helps if you're somewhere like NY or the Bay Area where there are lots of foreigners working to begin with, of course.

FYI: I have encountered some...scepticism about online degrees though, especially those where there doesn't seem to be much of an entrance requirement. As these degrees become more popular and especially as more and more name brand unis start offering them, I'm guessing they'll become more accepted, but there are definitely people who don't think of them as "real" degrees. I'm not saying it's fair... if the degree is from a reputable uni it's every bit as valid as a bricks and mortar degree.... but it is an opinion some people hold.

Yep agree. There is no way to justify the statement that ALL foreign degrees are not recognized. Some foreign degrees/colleges will be less widely known and therefore less valued. But that does not mean ALL. The reputation/credibility of the college has a lot to do with that - and online degrees will have the same rating. The same will be true for colleges around the USA - some colleges are rated higher than others so a potential employer may be more impressed by a degree from certain colleges.

Yep agree. There is no way to justify the statement that ALL foreign degrees are not recognized. Some foreign degrees/colleges will be less widely known and therefore less valued. But that does not mean ALL. The reputation/credibility of the college has a lot to do with that - and online degrees will have the same rating. The same will be true for colleges around the USA - some colleges are rated higher than others so a potential employer may be more impressed by a degree from certain colleges.

South African universities do not exactly have the reputation of Oxford or Cambridge, yet don't seem to be a hindrance - and when I say I know a lot of people using them in the US, I mean a lot! As with anything, a degree is part of the package. I do think having no degree can be an issue as it might auto-deselect you from a bunch of applications, but to be honest I think a lot of people just aren't prepared for how competitive the US job market is and find it easier to blame it on "they don't recognize my degree". I mean, I'd love to know the percentage of people saying that who were actually told that was the reason ... I don't doubt it's harder coming with a degree from Cape Town or Queensland than from a good state college (never mind the ivies) and that the applicant might have to work a bit harder to get noticed, especially given that most comparable jobs just probably have a lot more applicants than "back home". Some people get lucky quickly, but for a lot of people it is a lot of work to get an interview. (That's really what you're after - that's where you convince them you can do the job.) I think blaming a foreign degree can be counter productive because it takes the focus away from what you need to do to get noticed job hunting in a big, big market.