1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by SusieQQQ, Oct 13, 2014.

1. SusieQQQ

SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

Maybe mods can make this sticky. I think it'll be worthwhile- it's always interesting to see the progress other people have made when you are on a similar path. The idea is to add links to blogs etc here rather than fill this thread with posts. The ones below are the ones I am aware of/can remember ... Apologies if I forgot anyone but please add on.

CrawfinUSA - an Aussie in Maine: http://crawfinusa.com

Guriix - a Kenyan in Houston http://guriixusjourney.wordpress.com

Britsimon - a Brit in NorCal http://britsimonsays.com

Chalo, usken go, kakjose and 6 others like this.
  2. Britsimon

Britsimon Super Moderator

Nice idea, I was reading Guriix's blog yesterday - it is indeed fun to read about life over here.

rolex123, Ms. Dada and Guriix like this.
  3. usamommy2015

usamommy2015 Active Member

SuzieQQQQ where's yours?

4. Crawf33

Crawf33 Registered Users (C)

Oh thanks for the plug Suzie! That's awesome. Happy to answer any questions people have, obviously.

5. SuicideBlonde

SuicideBlonde Active Member

I'll add mine to this list start of next year, once we are approved and move! ;)

Tanzania 1 and pasaris like this.
  6. Sloner

Sloner Active Member

I know a lot of Russian-language bloggers. If is interested, I can post links.

vladek15425 likes this.
  7. nzangeleyes

nzangeleyes Member

Hey Britsimon,

Just want to say thanks for taking time to write your blogs. The information is invaluable to people like me who about to experience everything that the US of A entails.

I particularly appreciate the blogs on financial management, insurance, and establishing a credit history.

They are lucid, making them easy to read too = )

Thanks!!!

OC2015000000005xx

modelmummy likes this.
  8. Britsimon

Glad you are enjoying them. I'm just trying to capture the stuff that I think will be useful, let me know if there is a topic you would like me to address...

modelmummy likes this.
  9. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

"The idea is to add links to blogs etc here rather than fill this thread with posts."

The above phrase is to draw people's attention to what the creator of this thread had in mind when it was created. It has since being hijacked with chit-chats. In fact I've had to move a couple of posts from it to some other threads. As such, I'm locking it up, if anyone has a link to a related blog they think others may find useful, please contact one of the administrators with the information.

Guriix, SusieQQQ and Britsimon like this.
  10. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

11. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

This thread has been unlocked for forum members to add useful blogs they may come across or wish to share with the rest of the forum. Again please note, it's not intended to be a chit-chat thread. All non-conforming posts will be deleted going forward.

SusieQQQ likes this.
  12. jas2200

jas2200 Member

Guriix, pasaris and SusieQQQ like this.
  13. Crawf33

Crawf33 Registered Users (C)

She hasn't made the move over here yet, but Kiarah's blog American State of Mine has some good stuff about the process for Australians.

14. Britsimon

Hey Crawf, I'm going to email you - I would like to do some "interviews" on winners "1 year on...." I wonder if you wouldn't mind being a guinea pig.

Crawf33 and SusieQQQ like this.
  15. Britsimon

usken go likes this.
  16. SusieQQQ

Kojo E and vladek15425 like this.
  17. EURO2014

EURO2014 Well-Known Member

Truly can recommend TransferWise for money transfers to the US, based on personal experience:
    https://transferwise.com/u/8fdb23
    Provides advantageous exchange rates and safes us real money.

18. EU2015

EU2015 Member

Great article on the BBC today! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30537090

Leo actually got in touch with me to get our story (obviously not as interesting as Abdi's!) and used it to fact check many of the things, suprising he didnt mention the medical exam though.

Podcast available on the 29th! Will post a link.

Rute, s.brody and God-Is-Love like this.
  19. God-Is-Love

God-Is-Love Well-Known Member

Waw. Very interesting story. I can't wait to hear his voice on 29th December on BBC 04.
    Thanks for sharing.

"....You can listen to Abdi and the Golden Ticket
    on BBC Radio 4's Crossing Continents on 29
    December at 20:30 GMT or catch up
    afterwards on iPlayer. The programme ran
    on the BBC World Service's Assignment
    programme on Christmas Day, and can be
    heard on the Assignment website...."

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  20. SusieQQQ

Kojo E, usken go and Crawf33 like this.