• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Not sure if the poster who started GE discussion is a UK citizen or just a resident, but GE is now available for British citizens [has been since Nov 2015].

You have to be vetted by the UK gov't first [£42 fee] and then the US one [$100] followed by the interview.

The poster who prompted that post was complaining that getting GE was more complicated than the UK version, except it turned out the U.K. version was something quite different.

@SusieQQQ
I knew a surprisingly large number of people in their mid to late20s in the U.K. without a driving license
I was 27 when I first got my driving licence, so you can count me in that category, ehehehe

@SERBinUK
Not sure if the poster who started GE discussion is a UK citizen or just a resident
I'm a UK resident, not citizen. I just tried using the e-gates as a Registered Traveller at Heathrow and it didn't work..! If it happens again I'll be making a complaint for sure.

But if you read that link properly there's also an automatic 6-month extension if you miss the filing date. (Confirmed by my tax person that I understood this right.)
Yeah, I know. Still have to erase the 6/30 deadline from my memory (for next year). ☺️

After an activation trip, the very next time I enter the US I need to ready to stay and settle permanently? Or for those 12 months after activation I could come in and out numerous times and then settle before the 12 month period is up? It is the second entry into the country that is noted, not the time period/cutoff?

After an activation trip, the very next time I enter the US I need to ready to stay and settle permanently? Or for those 12 months after activation I could come in and out numerous times and then settle before the 12 month period is up? It is the second entry into the country that is noted, not the time period/cutoff?

You can do it but at some point of you keep going in and out immigration might flag you and you risk the permanent residency withdrawn

If you keep going in and out (without a proper permanent address, that is your return tickets are back to the US) you're going to get questioned pretty soon. You're placing too much emphasis on the time period, in a way that makes me think you misunderstand it. If you are absent longer than 12 months you're deemed to have abandoned your green card. It's not some magic number after entry in any other way. And it's not some magic number that only matters once after you enter: it's a cutoff date after any absence for as long as you have a green card. But equally if you are seen to be living and working somewhere else, as you may well be if you keep flitting in and out, they can also deem you have to abandoned residency and send you to an immigration judge.

Have you read these?
https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence
https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

Last edited:
Hello guys,
We are going do our first visit traveling to our home country after around 40 days from now.
Our history: We did the AOS from M-1 to GC after we won the DV lottery from Sep. 2015.
Any advise for as a first trip after the GC AOS?
Any documents we have to take with us except the passports and GC?
We respect your experiences. Thank you
Sam

Hello guys,
We are going do our first visit traveling to our home country after around 40 days from now.
Our history: We did the AOS from M-1 to GC after we won the DV lottery from Sep. 2015.
Any advise for as a first trip after the GC AOS?
Any documents we have to take with us except the passports and GC?
We respect your experiences. Thank you
Sam

Go home, enjoy the visit with your family. All you need on your return are your passport and GC.

@SusieQQQ Yes I have read the links, and read your answer carefully. It is just that's it mentioned numerous times in the forum that unofficially many people return from their first entry within that first year and then stay for good. In my case would be indeed flitting in and out this first year as I try to find a US-based job and get set-up; what I mean is that would I be subject to scrutiny early, even though my 3rd/4th/5th entry etc would be within this flexible first year?

@SusieQQQ Yes I have read the links, and read your answer carefully. It is just that's it mentioned numerous times in the forum that unofficially many people return from their first entry within that first year and then stay for good. In my case would be indeed flitting in and out this first year as I try to find a US-based job and get set-up; what I mean is that would I be subject to scrutiny early, even though my 3rd/4th/5th entry etc would be within this flexible first year?

Does travel outside the United States affect my permanent resident status?
Permanent residents are free to travel outside the United States, and temporary or brief travel usually does not affect your permanent resident status. If it is determined, however, that you did not intend to make the United States your permanent home, you will be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status. A general guide used is whether you have been absent from the United States for more than a year. Abandonment may be found to occur in trips of less than a year where it is believed you did not intend to make the United States your permanent residence. While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home. Other factors that may be considered include whether you maintained a U.S. mailing address, kept U.S. bank accounts and a valid U.S. driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States, or any other evidence that supports the temporary nature of your absence.

Again, you're misunderstanding the 12 month rule. There's no such thing as a "flexible first year" in any sense other than leniency (usually) on the next time you return, which should be to settle for good after activating. I believe yes you would be subject to scrutiny. I got severely questioned on a trip back after 5 months and I'm convinced it's because it was on a return ticket out, even though I used exactly the same arguments (job hunting etc) to the CBP officer. I was very relieved that the next trip would be in on a one way ticket, and not to have to go through that again, especially as I'm sure there would have been a note in the system that the officer had ensured I was advised of residency requirements.

I'm also not at all convinced that flitting in and out is a good way to settle in, look for jobs etc, but that's a secondary discussion.

If you really want to approach it this way, I suggest you enter on a one way ticket, have all your subsequent travel thus originating in and returning to the US, and be prepared for questioning.

Has anyone had an issue when job hunting regarding the substantial pre-employment checks required for some positions? I've started looking at requirements and it seems typical (in my industry) to ask for "7-year criminal, 10-year SSN & employer reference check" etc. If I'm brand new to the country and with no US history to show will it count against me?

Has anyone had an issue when job hunting regarding the substantial pre-employment checks required for some positions? I've started looking at requirements and it seems typical (in my industry) to ask for "7-year criminal, 10-year SSN & employer reference check" etc. If I'm brand new to the country and with no US history to show will it count against me?

If the company doing the background check knows what they're doing you should be fine.

Has anyone had any experiences with opening accounts with Citibank and transferring credit history? I have an Australian Citibank account and plan on opening a US Citibank account when i make the move. Just wondering if my credit history would be transferred over/make applying for credit cards easier etc?

DMV to me has always been pretty efficient, but if you live in a populous area it's a bit strange to assume you can get an appointment for a test in a day or two? If you're in, I dunno, rural Alabama or something that's probably feasible. The Bay Area - no way.
Also there's much more of a car culture in the US. I knew a surprisingly large number of people in their mid to late20s in the U.K. without a driving license, some of whom never intended to get one ever! By contrast, I don't know anyone here who's reached 17 without one....so maybe just less demand per capita in the U.K. also makes it easier thrrr?

The DMV in Nevada is third-world. The queue to get your queue number (yes, there is a queue for the queue) is one hour, and then the wait is anything from 3 to 7 hours. I'm not exaggerating for effect. They have a screen that shows the queue time and last visit it was 7.5 hours. I've never seen less than three. I normally queue for my number, then go home, grab lunch, watch a movie, then go back with a book.

In Australia the DMV queue is 3-7 minutes.

I went through this entire thread but didn't find a basic to-do checklist of things to do during an activation trip, say of a few weeks, and on the assumption you plan to return before a year is up. This is what I have so far (for a single person)

- SSN
- Driving licence conversion/application
- Global Entry registration
- Temporary health insurance
- Bank account
- AMEX transfer
- Secured credit card
- Job applications

What am I missing?

Hi Wingpin, you can get SSN and Bank account immediately, however the AMEX, secured credit card and drivers license (depending on state) require SSN first. Drivers license often has some residency requirements so you probably need a bank statement and lease as well. Also you may want to wait for the physical greencard or the DL may end up with a short expiration date.

If you are a bit OCD like me, you can check all the requirements online, put them in a spreadsheet and then order them like a project plan.

The DMV in Nevada is third-world. The queue to get your queue number (yes, there is a queue for the queue) is one hour, and then the wait is anything from 3 to 7 hours. I'm not exaggerating for effect. They have a screen that shows the queue time and last visit it was 7.5 hours. I've never seen less than three. I normally queue for my number, then go home, grab lunch, watch a movie, then go back with a book.

In Australia the DMV queue is 3-7 minutes.

Lol.

No, let me tell you what third world is. This is a true story that happened to me, not an urban legend. The DMV equivalent in Johannesburg closes at 3:30pm. You can have been standing in line since around 9am ...and at 3:30pm exactly, they close all the windows, and tell you to come back tomorrow. At least at our DMV, if you are in line before it closes (at 5, I think) you will get attended to. Don't Nevada do appointments though? We can make appointments online to jump the queue - and you can also see which office can attend to you sooner for e.g. taking a driving license via the online portal (.or, as happened also, via a helpful DMV employee at a call center!)

Oh and bear in mind Johannesburg will look totally first world in comparison to many other countries further north on the continent...