• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Nationality = Citizenship? or not

"to be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must have worked at least 20 base weeks in covered employment or you must have earned $8,300. For claims filed in 2015, the minimum base week amount is $165. These wages must have been earned during a 52 week period that is called a base year. "

"to be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must have worked at least 20 base weeks in covered employment or you must have earned $8,300. For claims filed in 2015, the minimum base week amount is $165. These wages must have been earned during a 52 week period that is called a base year. "

Can you provide us with a link to what you quoted above?

I work 100 hours/week for 5 months...that's almost a year of work :) if u consider 35-40 hours/week

Are you saying you've worked 100 hrs/week for 5 months as a LPR from when you had your interview in April (or was it in May) and July?

My maths is off. Wasn't your interview in April or May? How could you have worked five months?

Can you provide us with a link to what you quoted above?

It seems to me to be from here (NJ).
https://lwd.state.nj.us/labor/ui/calc/needqualify.html
It appears to me that a base week is a normal calendar length week, taken in the base year which is a calendar length year, and you can't claim before that year is up.
So you'd need to go through an entire year of seasonal work and seasonal layoff before you can claim.
I must admit I am curious as to where in New Jersey is so seasonal that you can't work for months of the year.

(Yes all apart from the fact that the poster seems to have worked 5 months of 100 hour weeks in the space of maybe 2 months.)

It seems to me to be from h tiere (NJ).
https://lwd.state.nj.us/labor/ui/calc/needqualify.html
It appears to me that a base week is a normal calendar length week, taken in the base year which is a calendar length year, and you can't claim before that year is up.
So you'd need to go through an entire year of seasonal work and seasonal layoff before you can claim.
I must admit I am curious as to where in New Jersey is so seasonal that you can't work for months of the year.

(Yes all apart from the fact that the poster seems to have worked 5 months of 100 hour weeks in the space of maybe 2 months.)

I been working here for the past 5 summers (so I was talking about previous experiences)....This year I got here on June 2nd....started work June 5th...so I already worked more than a month and that's my average hours so far...I'm working on the Jersey shore so of course is seasonal :) anymore questions?
It looks like here everybody doubts what are u saying instead of answering the question that I ask (CAN U COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT OR NOT??? people that I work with and they have green cards based on marriage are collecting in the winter time...

I been working here for the past 5 summers (so I was talking about previous experiences)....This year I got here on June 2nd....started work June 5th...so I already worked more than a month and that's my average hours so far...I'm working on the Jersey shore so of course is seasonal :) anymore questions?
It looks like here everybody doubts what are u saying instead of answering the question that I ask (CAN U COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT OR NOT??? people that I work with and they have green cards based on marriage are collecting in the winter time...

I believe we said that whether or not you can receive it, and how much, is state dependent. Or do you expect us to go and find out all those details for you too?

found was i was interested about FamilyCare...still have to found out about unemployment (if its considered public charge or not)

"Families accessing NJ FamilyCare benefits will NOT be considered a "Public Charge".*

Public Charge is a term used by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to describe people who cannot support themselves and depend on government benefits that provide cash support, such as, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) - or they live in a nursing home or other long-term care institution at the government's expense. If an immigrant receives NJ FamilyCare benefits, USCIS will not consider the receipt of these benefits as a reason to classify the immigrant as a "Public Charge""

Just some more info gathered in one place, this might address Morandi's or some other similar questions,
NOTE this is meant to be just an overview (in fact this is copied over from other forum) so please do double
check current state of things on official gov. websites:

Green card holders benefits claims vs. public charge:

1. Use of Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), or other health programs by you or your family
members will NOT affect the public charge decision unless you use Medicaid or other government funds to pay for
long-term care (nursing home or other institutionalized care).

2. Use of the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (food stamps), WIC (the supplemental food program for
women, infants, and children), public housing, or other noncash programs by you or your family members will NOT
affect the public charge decision.

3. Use of cash welfare by your children or other family members will NOT affect the public
charge decision unless these benefits are your family’s only income.

HOWEVER:

Your own use of cash welfare, such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary
Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or General Assistance, MIGHT affect the public
charge decision, depending on your situation.

Q&A:

Persons with Green Cards

I have my green card. Will my use of cash assistance affect my status?
In general, using cash welfare for which you are eligible is not a problem once you have your
green card. It will not affect your ability to become a citizen. However, using cash welfare could
be a problem if you travel outside of the U.S. for more than six months (see the question on travel
below). Using noncash benefits for which you are eligible will not cause a problem for you.

I have my green card and I get cash welfare. Can I travel outside of the United States?
If you are a lawful permanent resident who gets SSI, TANF, or other cash welfare right now, you
should not travel outside of the U.S. for more than 180 days (about 6 months). Any time you are
gone for more than 180 days, the DHS can ask you questions about whether you are likely to
become a public charge and may not let you reenter the country.
If you are returning to the U.S. after being outside of the country for 180 days or less, in most
cases DHS will not ask you questions about public charge when you return. DHS will ask you
these questions only if they suspect that you intended to live permanently in another country,
committed certain crimes, or had a pending deportation or removal case when you left the
country.

I have my green card and get public benefits. Can I still receive my benefits while I am
out of the country?
If you plan to be outside of the country for more than 30 days, you should check with the agency
providing the benefit. It may be against the rules to continue receiving public benefits while you
are outside the U.S. It could hurt your chances of reentering the U.S. or becoming a U.S. citizen
if you received benefits that you were not supposed to receive.

When I return from a trip, can the government make me pay back benefits that I used
before I left?
No. The government is not supposed to ask you to pay back these benefits unless you received
them improperly (for example, if you were not really living in this state but claimed to be a
resident, or if you did not tell your welfare worker about all of your income). If you are at the
airport or the border and DHS or another agency asks you to pay back benefits, you should get
legal help immediately. This is true no matter what your immigration status is.

I have my green card. Can DHS deport or “remove” me because I use benefits?
No. DHS cannot deport/remove you just for using public benefits that you qualify to receive.
The government has said that deportations due to public charge are “rare” and can happen only
when an unusual set of conditions are met:

1. You received cash welfare or long-term institutional care for reasons that existed before
you entered the U.S., and
2. You got the cash welfare or long-term care less than 5 years after you entered the U.S.,
and
3. You or your sponsor have a legal debt to the government agency that gave you the cash
or long-term care, and you or your sponsor got a notice from the government that you
owed the debt within 5 years of entering the U.S., and
4. You or your sponsor have refused to repay the benefits after the government filed a
lawsuit and won in court.

Most programs, such as SSI and TANF, do not create a debt for you. In some states, General
Assistance may create a debt for you. Some programs may create a debt for your sponsor. Even
where a debt is created, however, states generally have not filed lawsuits seeking repayment from
immigrants or their sponsors.

I have my green card and I am receiving SSI or other cash benefits. Will this stop me
from becoming a U.S. citizen?
No. If you are properly receiving public benefits, you cannot be denied citizenship for receiving
benefits. But if you received public benefits improperly (for example, after providing false
information about your income or where you live), or misled DHS when you got your green card,
the DHS may decide that you do not have “good moral character,” and you could have trouble
becoming a U.S. citizen.