March 2010 Family based filers, post here.

Congrats ChrisleeNY and nick8844 on your successful interviews.

Congrats to jdroid - you are the first person in our thread to get the physical GC, nice !
I received my welcome letter in the mail on June 19th.

Got approved! We woke up early, but due to traffic arrived just 15 minutes before our scheduled interview. We picked up the buzzer and waited. There was quite a crowd of people there and I was worried we would be waiting long, however we got buzzed right about our interview time. Our IO was a relatively young guy, in his late 20s or early 30s. It seemed like he had already decided to approve us, but there was a hiccup, I was currently out-of-status since I had graduated already. He was very shocked that I allowed that to happen, but apart from ribbing me about it, he didn't make too big of a deal about it. Just kept saying, "man, if you had been pulled over or arrested for any reason..." I know I was stupid about it and told him so. He asked if we had any more things to add to our file. I have utility bills and some more insurance documents. I brought more pictures but he said it would not be necessary, that the ones we had submitted were very good and "told the story very well." Most of the time in the interview was actually spent by the IO trying to decide whether to approve me for the 10-year GC. As I stated before, the interview was on our 2nd year anniversary. He wasn't sure what the letter of the law said, and his supervisors weren't either. So he told me he could approve me (yesterday) but it would be the conditional GC or he could wait until today and approve the 10-year GC. He said he would do the latter and said there was nothing else for us to do. He just joked again to not get picked up before today. So earlier today, I got the email saying the GC had been approved with the card production ordered and I should expect the letter. Thank God its over!

Got approved! We woke up early, but due to traffic arrived just 15 minutes before our scheduled interview. We picked up the buzzer and waited. There was quite a crowd of people there and I was worried we would be waiting long, however we got buzzed right about our interview time. Our IO was a relatively young guy, in his late 20s or early 30s. It seemed like he had already decided to approve us, but there was a hiccup, I was currently out-of-status since I had graduated already. He was very shocked that I allowed that to happen, but apart from ribbing me about it, he didn't make too big of a deal about it. Just kept saying, "man, if you had been pulled over or arrested for any reason..." I know I was stupid about it and told him so. He asked if we had any more things to add to our file. I have utility bills and some more insurance documents. I brought more pictures but he said it would not be necessary, that the ones we had submitted were very good and "told the story very well." Most of the time in the interview was actually spent by the IO trying to decide whether to approve me for the 10-year GC. As I stated before, the interview was on our 2nd year anniversary. He wasn't sure what the letter of the law said, and his supervisors weren't either. So he told me he could approve me (yesterday) but it would be the conditional GC or he could wait until today and approve the 10-year GC. He said he would do the latter and said there was nothing else for us to do. He just joked again to not get picked up before today. So earlier today, I got the email saying the GC had been approved with the card production ordered and I should expect the letter. Thank God its over!

Congratulations!!

hehe...congrats!!

Finally recd. the card production email after 2 weeks of waiting. We interviewed on 6/7. Got RFE (petitioner's G325A - mine in this case)
and my wife's medical tests' results on Oct. 2009 form. Now hoping to get GC soon.

i have a question....
i got today my advance parole to travel, and this coming Wednesday im gonna have my interview.... can I travel with the advance parole after the interview?
i dont want to wait 3 weeks until i get the green card....
is this possible?

Received wife's Green Card yesterday in mail :).......new design looks awesome, lots of security features. Finally we can call this place home, thanks to this forum. I was able to file my naturalization and wife's GC solely based on u guys' help!!

Received wife's Green Card yesterday in mail :).......new design looks awesome, lots of security features. Finally we can call this place home, thanks to this forum. I was able to file my naturalization and wife's GC solely based on u guys' help!!

Congrats singh57. I received my GC in the mail today too, i agree that the new design seems pretty nice. This forum has been very informative, including members from the previous month forums, who were very descriptive about their experiences and their journey.

Hello everyone. Today was my interview at the USCIS office in Newark NJ. Our appointment was at 9am. My husband and i arrived around 8:30ish. We waited for about 20mins, and we were called by a middle age hispanic man. He was very serious from the beginning. First we took the oath, and then he proceded to ask me for my EAD, passport and social security card. Then, he asked me for my I-94 and the passport i used to come in the country. Unfortunately, i lost my old passport, so he only took my I-94. He asked to look at our pictures. We brought two photo albums with our pictures. He looked through them quickly. He only took a quick look at our wedding pictures. Then, he asked me to go to the waiting room because he would question my husband alone. My husband says he was asked how we met, why we got married, who were my parents (they are my I-864), how he will support me (since he just got accepted into graduate school). He also asked about my siblings. I waited outside for about 15mins. He finally called me in. I thought he would also question me alone, but he didn't ask me anything. He asked for my birth certificate and my husbands. Then, he asked me to answer the famous yes or no questions. I answered no to all those. He kept a few of my wedding pictures and told us to wait outside. He came out after a few minutes and told us our application was going to be further reviewed. So.....i really hope i hear something from them soon. I won't be able to rest in peace until i hear something. I hope NJBug had better luck than me, since i know she was interviewed today in the same office.

Green Card Received

Received the green card in the mail too. It is indeed pretty green :eek: Thanks everyone for all the great information, there's no way we could have made it through this process without this board. Good luck to everyone who is waiting for their interview or their card :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. Today was my interview at the USCIS office in Newark NJ. Our appointment was at 9am. My husband and i arrived around 8:30ish. We waited for about 20mins, and we were called by a middle age hispanic man. He was very serious from the beginning. First we took the oath, and then he proceded to ask me for my EAD, passport and social security card. Then, he asked me for my I-94 and the passport i used to come in the country. Unfortunately, i lost my old passport, so he only took my I-94. He asked to look at our pictures. We brought two photo albums with our pictures. He looked through them quickly. He only took a quick look at our wedding pictures. Then, he asked me to go to the waiting room because he would question my husband alone. My husband says he was asked how we met, why we got married, who were my parents (they are my I-864), how he will support me (since he just got accepted into graduate school). He also asked about my siblings. I waited outside for about 15mins. He finally called me in. I thought he would also question me alone, but he didn't ask me anything. He asked for my birth certificate and my husbands. Then, he asked me to answer the famous yes or no questions. I answered no to all those. He kept a few of my wedding pictures and told us to wait outside. He came out after a few minutes and told us our application was going to be further reviewed. So.....i really hope i hear something from them soon. I won't be able to rest in peace until i hear something. I hope NJBug had better luck than me, since i know she was interviewed today in the same office.

Dont worry too much AC1228, you will be fine.

Hi everyone, I did my interview yesterday and got approved. The whole process took us about 15 minutes. The interview officer called us in about five minutes before the scheduled time. After the oath she asked for our documents such as passport, visa, my husband's birth certificate, etc. She actually returned my original birth certificate and marriage license which I submitted with the Form-485. She then asked for supportive documents so we gave her our bank statements and utility bills with our names and address. We didn't have insurance together but she said it's Ok. I then "volunteered" to show her our wedding album and she looked at it pretty carefully and asked questions such as "who are these people", "which ones are our parents". she was very professional, but not in a scary way which helped us to relax a little. She then went through the standard yes or no questions, then started to type on the computer. She talked kind of fast, so I guess at some point she said that "I approve your application", but I didn't hear at all. So at the end she returned all of our stuff and showed us the form about "applying for 10 year card after two years" and emphasized that nobody will remind us by mail, so we have to keep in mind of the date. I was a little confused and asked "so this means we are approved?", she laughed and said "yes, I said I approved you". She asked for my parole permit back, but said I could keep my EAD to start my new job. She didn't mention anything about the I-551 stamp on the passport, and I had a feeling that she was pretty new there and didn't have the authority to put the stamp, so I didn't ask.
The whole process was not hard. I feel as long as we hand in all the required stuff and have no intention to cheat, there is really no reason to be too nervous. AC1228, I am sure you will get approved too, don't worry.
I got my first "card production" email last night. Although, I do have to move like right now, so I hope I can change the address tomorrow to have the card mailed to my new address. Does anybody have this kind of experience before?

I just changed my address today. The CR said I can expect to receive my GC at my new address. Generally, I think the earlier you change your address, the better. You can do it online and you'll also have to call the customer service number.

Thanks scipio marcus! I will try to call them tomorrow. It's great to know that someone has done this successfully :)