• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Please know that my concern was not related to CP vs. AoS, both are valid for processing DV and both can be successful if handled appropriately. In many cases, in fact, AoS will be the preferable route if both options equally exist... Anyways, good luck to you and yours.

Of course, for most of them but not for each.
¡muchas gracias!

Is that @raevsky's forum? I ask because I know he used to tell AOSers in this forum not to bother submitting the DSP-122 form back then when it was in use, even though he never went through the AOS process, and accused those of use guiding people otherwise based on our personal experiences, of being scam artists.

Yes, exactly!

And I didn't say you personally posted on Simon's blog - that post wasn't about you.

And yes, you know Simon, you've already met him in this forum, :), you just haven't connected the dots yet ;)

Is it You? :rolleyes:o_O:D

Yeah, indeed.

In fact, there are some who ask questions here, and when they're not happy with my response - because its contrary to what they want to do and had hoped to hear - they move on to Simon's blog to ask him the same question. I always have a good chuckle every time I come across those on Simon's blog.

I am sure we always give similar answers though - right??? :)

As a DV-2017 winner I am contemplating applying for Adjustment of Status case number1 EU00019xxx. Do I still need to complete DS-260 online or simply submit I-485 when a visa becomes available as indicated in DOS Visa Bulletin?

As a DV-2017 winner I am contemplating applying for Adjustment of Status case number1 EU00019xxx. Do I still need to complete DS-260 online or simply submit I-485 when a visa becomes available as indicated in DOS Visa Bulletin?

The DS260 question was asked and answered a few posts earlier on this thread. I suggest you read the thread (it will only take a few minutes as it is short so far). Also take a careful look at the spreadsheet linked from the very first post of this thread.

In this forum, we typically recommend submission of the DS-260 form.

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks a lot for the information provided in this thread. I find this thread and the spreadsheet really helpful.
I am a DV-2017 selectee and my CN is 2017AS000060xx. I am from Asia, so i guess my number will be current only in May/June next year(2017). I am currently in US under F1 visa. I have already submitted my DS-260. I got some questions.

1. In DS-260 it asks your primary occupation so i mentioned as "student". It further asks about other occupations. Since I am a graduate assistant, do i need to include that under "other occupations" (I didn't) ?
2.Do I need to show them evidence of financial support or is it fine if I show them my job offer letter as a graduate assistant?
3.What should I select in part 2 of the form I-485 ?
4.My name is too long, so I need extra space in I-485. Is it ok to write my name in small letters in black ink and type everything else?
5. I will be graduating on May next year. So do I need to apply for OPT before filing I-485 on May?

I am sorry if the questions are silly. Thank You so much in advance for the answers :)

Thank you guys for the amazing job done here, the spreadsheet is life saving...
Well my number is AF36xxx, it think the visa will be called around july2017. I filled the DS260 (first week of may) and received an email from the kentuky office yesterday asking for the fee and AOS. I'm under H1B and my wife is H4 (so i can travel without any issue during the AOS process)
I will pay the fee in feb and try to get the medical exam in may so it cover 6month until end of sep.
Now i'm a bit concerned about the timing, look like the AOS can take a bit longer than CP, is it dangerous to go trought the AOS when you have a high number ? What step of the process have to be done before the 30th of september ?
Thank you guys

Well my number is AF36xxx, it think the visa will be called around july2017. I filled the DS260 (first week of may) and received an email from the kentuky office yesterday asking for the fee and AOS. I'm under H1B and my wife is H4 (so i can travel without any issue during the AOS process)
I will pay the fee in feb and try to get the medical exam in may so it cover 6month until end of sep.
Now i'm a bit concerned about the timing, look like the AOS can take a bit longer than CP, is it dangerous to go trought the AOS when you have a high number ? What step of the process have to be done before the 30th of september ?
Thank you guys

Each year there are people that get current in September and get their cases through in time. It helps to use the early filing policy to get a headstart. Starting in July is not particularly risky.

Each year there are people that get current in September and get their cases through in time. It helps to use the early filing policy to get a headstart. Starting in July is not particularly risky.
Response by BritSimon itself ! Thanks man, i will go through the AOS then

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks a lot for the information provided in this thread. I find this thread and the spreadsheet really helpful.
I am a DV-2017 selectee and my CN is 2017AS000060xx. I am from Asia, so i guess my number will be current only in May/June next year(2017). I am currently in US under F1 visa. I have already submitted my DS-260. I got some questions.

1. In DS-260 it asks your primary occupation so i mentioned as "student". It further asks about other occupations. Since I am a graduate assistant, do i need to include that under "other occupations" (I didn't) ?
2.Do I need to show them evidence of financial support or is it fine if I show them my job offer letter as a graduate assistant?
3.What should I select in part 2 of the form I-485 ?
4.My name is too long, so I need extra space in I-485. Is it ok to write my name in small letters in black ink and type everything else?
5. I will be graduating on May next year. So do I need to apply for OPT before filing I-485 on May?

I am sorry if the questions are silly. Thank You so much in advance for the answers :)

1. You're a student, so that's fine.

2. It's always advisable to present some evidence of financial support.

3. What's the exact question there? I don't want to have to open the I-485 form in order to answer this.

4. Either fully hand-write or electronically fill out the form.

5. It's always better to apply for OPT first before applying for AOS. That ensures you have a fall back status in case the AOS petition gets denied.

Thank you guys

In addition to Simon's response, and to answer the last question on your post, the AOS petition is required to be approved by the end of Sept 30th of the applicable FY.