• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

1. You're a student, so that's fine.

2. It's always advisable to present some evidence of financial support.

3. What's the exact question there? I don't want to have to open the I-485 form in order to answer this.

4. Either fully hand-write or electronically fill out the form.

5. It's always better to apply for OPT first before applying for AOS. That ensures you have a fall back status in case the AOS petition gets denied.

Thank you Sm1smom for the reply.

2. For financial support, my dad can show that he is providing me financial support, but he is in my home country. I have my brother -in-law here in US under H1 visa. So can he show that he is providing me with financial support ?

3. Part 2 in form I-485 is about "Application Type". I need to select one from the given options.
Option (a) : An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number that has been approved
Option(h) : Other basis of eligibility

All the other options seems so irrelevant for me. I guess I should go with option(h) and mention its "dv lottery". Am I right?

6. Does the e-mail from KCC says only whether the application is complete or not? Doesn't it give any other information regarding the civil surgeon I need to go to?

Thank you Sm1smom for the reply.

2. For financial support, my dad can show that he is providing me financial support, but he is in my home country. I have my brother -in-law here in US under H1 visa. So can he show that he is providing me with financial support ?

3. Part 2 in form I-485 is about "Application Type". I need to select one from the given options.
Option (a) : An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number that has been approved
Option(h) : Other basis of eligibility

All the other options seems so irrelevant for me. I guess I should go with option(h) and mention its "dv lottery". Am I right?

6. Does the e-mail from KCC says only whether the application is complete or not? Doesn't it give any other information regarding the civil surgeon I need to go to?

1. Ideally the I-134 form should be filled by a USC or a LPR. However, your can also fill it out in this case.

2. Select option h and write something similar to this: DV Winner. Selectee Notification Letter Attached.

3. KCC will not say whether your form is correct or not. Their email will not provide further guidance on AOS process. That's why we put the AOS spreadsheet together, go through it for guidance on what you need to do and when.

Hi, I am student that got selected for DV2017. I just got my Bachelor's from a top US university and will be starting my PhD degree at another top US university in August, for which I need to get a new F1 visa. A couple of questions:
  1. Per your earlier suggestions, I have not and will not submit my DS 260 or I-485 until I have obtained my new F1 visa and have arrived in the US on it for at least 60 days. However, I have opened the DS 260 already and almost filled out all of it online. Will this be a problem when interviewing for my F1? I know consular officers can see your DV applications and results, not sure if they can see how much of the DS 260 you've filled out before actual submission.
  2. I have $20,000+ in savings (half in US bank account, half in home country bank account). Additionally, as a PhD student my tuition will be fully covered by the university and I will also be paid $32,000+ yearly (for teaching/research assistant duties). Although that amount is normally referred to as a stipend, it is taxable income that gets reported on a W2 form, and I'll get monthly pay statements for it. Given these sizeable resources, should I still get an I-134 affidavit of support from someone?
  3. Is it required that the person giving me the I-134 is a US citizen/permanent resident? For me personally, it would be easier to obtain I-134 from some friends that are non-alien residents working on an H1B visa or F1 STEM extension, but I can try to reach out to some citizens.
  4. If the person giving me the I-134 is a US citizen but his income comes from his PhD student stipend (similar to my situation, see question 2), will that be a problem (as it might be debatable whether that's actually a job or not)?
Thank you!

1. Ideally the I-134 form should be filled by a USC or a LPR. However, your can also fill it out in this case.

2. Select option h and write something similar to this: DV Winner. Selectee Notification Letter Attached.

3. KCC will not say whether your form is correct or not. Their email will not provide further guidance on AOS process. That's why we put the AOS spreadsheet together, go through it for guidance on what you need to do and when.

Thank You so much. Appreciate it. Spreadsheet is going to be my main reference in this process. :)

Oh and I got another question. I am moving to another place next month (at the end of June). Since I have already submitted my DS-260 , can I send them an e-mail asking to unlock it so that I can include my new address as "current address"?

Hi, I am student that got selected for DV2017. I just got my Bachelor's from a top US university and will be starting my PhD degree at another top US university in August, for which I need to get a new F1 visa. A couple of questions:
  1. Per your earlier suggestions, I have not and will not submit my DS 260 or I-485 until I have obtained my new F1 visa and have arrived in the US on it for at least 60 days. However, I have opened the DS 260 already and almost filled out all of it online. Will this be a problem when interviewing for my F1? I know consular officers can see your DV applications and results, not sure if they can see how much of the DS 260 you've filled out before actual submission.
  2. I have $20,000+ in savings (half in US bank account, half in home country bank account). Additionally, as a PhD student my tuition will be fully covered by the university and I will also be paid $32,000+ yearly (for teaching/research assistant duties). Although that amount is normally referred to as a stipend, it is taxable income that gets reported on a W2 form, and I'll get monthly pay statements for it. Given these sizeable resources, should I still get an I-134 affidavit of support from someone?
  3. Is it required that the person giving me the I-134 is a US citizen/permanent resident? For me personally, it would be easier to obtain I-134 from some friends that are non-alien residents working on an H1B visa or F1 STEM extension, but I can try to reach out to some citizens.
  4. If the person giving me the I-134 is a US citizen but his income comes from his PhD student stipend (similar to my situation, see question 2), will that be a problem (as it might be debatable whether that's actually a job or not)?
Thank you!

Congratulations on your DV selection.

1. It most likely shouldn't be a problem.

2. Include all those financial evidence with your AOS package. Get an I-134 as a backup evidence in addition to those.

3. A USC or LPR is preferable. A H1B visa holder may be acceptable. I wouldn't recommend using a F1, OPT STEM extension or not.

4. Again, I wouldn't recommend using an I-134 from a student, USC or not.

Oh and I got another question. I am moving to another place next month (at the end of June). Since I have already submitted my DS-260 , can I send them an e-mail asking to unlock it so that I can include my new address as "current address"?

You're yet to move, so the new address shouldn't be listed as your current address.

You're yet to move, so the new address shouldn't be listed as your current address.

I was thinking to re-submit the DS-260 once I move to the new place. Somewhere in July. Since my CN won't be current till next year June, that is fine right?

I was thinking to re-submit the DS-260 once I move to the new place. Somewhere in July. Since my CN won't be current till next year June, that is fine right?

Yes, you can do. You can also wait until after your move to contact KCC for the form to be unlocked. Makes no difference either way.

Congratulations on your DV selection.

1. It most likely shouldn't be a problem.

2. Include all those financial evidence with your AOS package. Get an I-134 as a backup evidence in addition to those.

3. A USC or LPR is preferable. A H1B visa holder may be acceptable. I wouldn't recommend using a F1, OPT STEM extension or not.

4. Again, I wouldn't recommend using an I-134 from a student, USC or not.

Thank you. A couple more questions:
  1. (follow-up to Q2 from before) Do you have to include the I-134 in the mailed AOS package, or just bring it with you to the interview, or both? I've read in other places on this forum or Britsimon's blog that you don't want to rush getting the I-134 and instead try to get it close to your interview date, which made me think I don't need to include it in the mailed AOS package.
  2. If the person I am getting an I-134 from finished college recently and thus only started their job this year and I am including the I-134 in the mailed AOS package, which I would send out by the end of 2016, it means they will not have W2 and 1040 forms available that reflect their current job and income. (They will probably have them by the time of the interview though). Does a letter from the employer and recent pay stubs make up for that? (which could be corroborated by W2 and 1040 forms at the time of the interview)
  3. I see in the AOS spredsheet, on the "AOS package" sheet at lines 32-34 that we have to include high school and other diplomas. I understand the high school diploma is required to prove eligiblity for DV in my case. Would my recent college diplomas then be included as well, even though they're not required for eligibility?
  4. Similar question for lines 35-39 in the sheet, regarding employment documentation. If I am not using employment to prove DV eligibility, do I have to include these? I have had some summer jobs and on-campus jobs while getting my undergraduate degree in the US.

Thank you. A couple more questions:
  1. (follow-up to Q2 from before) Do you have to include the I-134 in the mailed AOS package, or just bring it with you to the interview, or both? I've read in other places on this forum or Britsimon's blog that you don't want to rush getting the I-134 and instead try to get it close to your interview date, which made me think I don't need to include it in the mailed AOS package.
  2. If the person I am getting an I-134 from finished college recently and thus only started their job this year and I am including the I-134 in the mailed AOS package, which I would send out by the end of 2016, it means they will not have W2 and 1040 forms available that reflect their current job and income. (They will probably have them by the time of the interview though). Does a letter from the employer and recent pay stubs make up for that? (which could be corroborated by W2 and 1040 forms at the time of the interview)
  3. I see in the AOS spredsheet, on the "AOS package" sheet at lines 32-34 that we have to include high school and other diplomas. I understand the high school diploma is required to prove eligiblity for DV in my case. Would my recent college diplomas then be included as well, even though they're not required for eligibility?
  4. Similar question for lines 35-39 in the sheet, regarding employment documentation. If I am not using employment to prove DV eligibility, do I have to include these? I have had some summer jobs and on-campus jobs while getting my undergraduate degree in the US.

1. For AOSers, it is preferable to include the affidavit of support with the mailed AOS package. If your FO happens to be one of those who approve without an interview, that information makes it easier when it's included. Bear in mind, majority of the audience on Simon's blog are processing CP and his original write ups or response to their questions is mostly geared towards that.

2. If you, find a sponsor with at least a complete year's work experience. Pay stubs and employment letters do not take the place of the needed documents in support of the AOS form, those are just additional documents used in overcoming public charge concerns.

3. The suggestion to include additional diplomas, if applicable isn't necessarily for proving DV educational eligibility. It has more to do with addressing public charge concerns. USCIS or KCC hasn't listed most of what's on the spreadsheet as 'required'. The spreadsheet is a guide, feel free to include whatever you consider pertinent with your package.

4. Same as 3 above.

Isn't OPT application supposed to be 3 months prior to graduation, which means if you're graduating in December you apply for OPT in Oct (or is it even in Sept)?

Anyway, you also need to be more specific with your CN disclosure if you want proper guidance, telling us your case "is in the early thousands" isn't giving us the needed information to guide you.

Thanks a lot for your help, it clarified a lot of things. I have one other thing that I am not sure about, I didn't write any middle names in my DV lottery entry application but the way my name is stated in my passport includes the initials of my father and grandfather (just their initials not their full name, it's the way kids are named in the middle east). I didn't think that I should include them in my application so I left the middle name part empty, my question is whether this will cause a problem in the future and also if I should include these middle names in my DS-260 application?

Thanks a lot for your help, it clarified a lot of things. I have one other thing that I am not sure about, I didn't write any middle names in my DV lottery entry application but the way my name is stated in my passport includes the initials of my father and grandfather (just their initials not their full name, it's the way kids are named in the middle east). I didn't think that I should include them in my application so I left the middle name part empty, my question is whether this will cause a problem in the future and also if I should include these middle names in my DS-260 application?

Include the names on your DS-260 form. Also on your AOS package forms to ensure your GC, when it gets issued, matches with your passport information.

The IO will have the final say as to whether or not the omission is an issue. However middle name omission on the eDV registration hasn't been an issue for AOSers AFAIK.

Include the names on your DS-260 form. Also on your AOS package forms to ensure your GC, when it gets issued, matches with your passport information.

The IO will have the final say as to whether or not the omission is an issue. However middle name omission on the eDV registration hasn't been an issue for AOSers AFAIK.
I am not even sure if these are middle names. My birth certificate has my first name and then states the father name, grandfather name and family name. It doesn't have a middle name but since my passport, state ID and social security has my father and grandfather name initials in them I think I should include it. However, should I include the initials only since this is what I have in my passport ? For example A. S. Instead their full names?

I am not even sure if these are middle names. My birth certificate has my first name and then states the father name, grandfather name and family name. It doesn't have a middle name but since my passport, state ID and social security has my father and grandfather name initials in them I think I should include it. However, should I include the initials only since this is what I have in my passport ? For example A. S. Instead their full names?

I don't know. You'll have to make a judgment call on that.

Thank you. Is there a way to see the initial application form we submitted when we registered for the DV lottery. Some of the dates I guessed in there and now I can't exactly remember what I entered.

Thank you. Is there a way to see the initial application form we submitted when we registered for the DV lottery. Some of the dates I guessed in there and now I can't exactly remember what I entered.

No, there is no way. The assumption is that you answered accurately.

There truly is not much opportunity for "guessing" in an eDV application. What date did you guess, your birth date? :)

Like others have already responded, no it's not possible to see the eDV registration and the only dates required on it are DOB.

So the question is: are you saying you "guessed" the DOB? If yes, then you deserve to be disqualified at the end of your interview , I know that sounds harsh, but I can't sugarcoat it either. The only reason I know of where someone would use any other date outside of their actual DOB is if they're trying to game the system.