• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Happy weekend everybody,
After how long would you recommend making an infopass after doing the fingerprinting to follow up on the application status?

Hi Mom,

I noticed that on my I797 for the receipt and hiometrics the USCIS number is different than my USCIS number on my EAD that I received after applying for opt from my school. Is this something that needs to be corrected ? Or is it supposed to be different from the other one ?

So I went to my 2nd Infopass two weeks ago in Mt Laurel, NJ. The person I spoke to had a look at my case and she said that it looks like everything they need is there and that they just need somebody to thoroughly go over it. She said that she would speak with her supervisor later that day to see if they can get it approved (from the context, I assume without an interview). I was pretty happy how it went and I thought I would see a change in my case status soon after, but it's been two weeks ago with no online updates or anything in the mail. I guess the best course of action is to just pay them another visit in a couple of weeks, right?

Hi Mom,

I noticed that on my I797 for the receipt and hiometrics the USCIS number is different than my USCIS number on my EAD that I received after applying for opt from my school. Is this something that needs to be corrected ? Or is it supposed to be different from the other one ?

Yeah, you shouldn't have been issued with a new A#. But they tend to be lazy and simply issue a new one rather than go through their records to confirm the previous number. It's nothing for you to worry about, the new A# will be listed on your GC when it gets issued.

So I went to my 2nd Infopass two weeks ago in Mt Laurel, NJ. The person I spoke to had a look at my case and she said that it looks like everything they need is there and that they just need somebody to thoroughly go over it. She said that she would speak with her supervisor later that day to see if they can get it approved (from the context, I assume without an interview). I was pretty happy how it went and I thought I would see a change in my case status soon after, but it's been two weeks ago with no online updates or anything in the mail. I guess the best course of action is to just pay them another visit in a couple of weeks, right?

Yep, another visit in the next 2-3 weeks.

You did, I meant after I got stuck in the process of Background check I have no idea to what to do? Time is ticking for me and My case is not family or empoloyment base so I could wait. That's why I said that

Most of May. All of June. All of July. All of August. All of September. That's nearly 5 months. There is plenty of time to wait without having your green card in danger.

You did, I meant after I got stuck in the process of Background check I have no idea to what to do? Time is ticking for me and My case is not family or empoloyment base so I could wait. That's why I said that

You think we have no idea DV based AOS is different from a family or employment based one so we're not aware time is ticking even though we still have 4 full months and the rest of May (which by the way has 3 weeks left in it)? If after all these years of guiding people through the process we don't know the fact that DV based AOS is time sensitive, we really have no business doing what we do here you know.

I stopped responding directly to your posts a while back because it became obvious to me you weren't paying any attention if the response wasn't what you wanted to hear.

We've told you over and over your case is not unique. You're from Iran, it's normal for you to get stuck in background check for close to 5 months or more. Not much can be done about it. But to make sure the FO is still working on your case, you needed to go on an INFOPASS once a month.

You could also contact your congressman's office to get their assistance in following up on your case (and warned you it's not like they could force USCIS to rush or adjudicate the case). I remember you told me back then you didn't want to involve a congress person because you thought they were already biased towards your country. Instead you jumped on using the ombudsman option which typically isn't done until you've exhausted all avenues and your case has been pending 5-6 months at least.

Other Iranian petitioners have also responded to let you know you're not the only experiencing this, they are also waiting too. That didn't register with you either.

And then you return and angrily demand for your profile to be deleted because no one is telling you what to do 'except wait'.

SMH! I think I better stop now.

I received NOA on April 10th and did the finger printing May 3rd.
Thanks

So your processing time is still on track IMO. I don't see a need to be going on an INFOPASS at this point in time.

You should take a look at the Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of the average processing time for your FO.

1. For AOSers, it is preferable to include the affidavit of support with the mailed AOS package. If your FO happens to be one of those who approve without an interview, that information makes it easier when it's included. Bear in mind, majority of the audience on Simon's blog are processing CP and his original write ups or response to their questions is mostly geared towards that.

2. If you, find a sponsor with at least a complete year's work experience. Pay stubs and employment letters do not take the place of the needed documents in support of the AOS form, those are just additional documents used in overcoming public charge concerns.

3. The suggestion to include additional diplomas, if applicable isn't necessarily for proving DV educational eligibility. It has more to do with addressing public charge concerns. USCIS or KCC hasn't listed most of what's on the spreadsheet as 'required'. The spreadsheet is a guide, feel free to include whatever you consider pertinent with your package.

4. Same as 3 above.
Hi mom,

Got a question here. If I can not find any USC or LPR to fill i134. But my wife and I have already worked in US for past three yrs, and we can provide w2, pay stubs, and bank statement (total around $200k). Are we safe in the step of "Evidence of Financial Support" ? I know this step is to verify whether or not the applicants going to be a public charge. Are we safe in this step? Thank you mom!

Hi mom,

Got a question here. If I can not find any USC or LPR to fill i134. But my wife and I have already worked in US for past three yrs, and we can provide w2, pay stubs, and bank statement (total around $200k). Are we safe in the step of "Evidence of Financial Support" ? I know this step is to verify whether or not the applicants going to be a public charge. Are we safe in this step? Thank you mom!

If your current income is above the poverty guideline level applicable to your household size, then you don't need an I-134. You'll be fine with your own financial evidence.