• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

So we had our interview this morning ( me, spouse n child) at charlotte FO and it was pretty straight forward. The IO asked us to confirm all info on i485. He was extremely nice. He just checked our passports, I.D, and just started to explain the process we need to go through if we want to apply for citizenship after 5 yrs. He asked if we had further questions and i asked so does it mean we are approved....his answer was absolutely!!!

Our case was submitted in October 2016
We were current in November 2016
I am the PA (F1 visa)
Wife and son derivatives ( FF1visas)
I submitted my application with limited documents (USCIS website) because I did not know about this forum
We had 3 infopass to follow up
We had interview scheduled for April 12th.
At our interview we took along any possible document mentioned on this forum including i-134 but he never requested to see any.
Our case status changed to card production right after we USCIS building.

Thanks alot to everyone here. I really learnt alot about the whole process on this forum.
Special thanks to Mom and Britsimon and all who responded to my questions. I don't take it for granted. I really do appreciate it.
I wish everyone best of luck.

Hello,

I am getting a little worried. I mailed my AOS package over 2 weeks ago and still have not received a text or email notification. I used USPS Priority (with tracking) and mailed it to the below address (as stated on uscis.gov);

USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Was it suppose to go to the other address listed below?

USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

The average notification time is 2-3 weeks. If there's no notification after that, and your check hasn't been cashed by then, it most likely means the Chicago Lockbox has rejected your package and will be mailing it back to you.

I recommend you take another look at your AOS package (I'm assuming you made copies of what you sent) - cross check to confirm all your forms were properly signed, you included the correct fee, appropriate supporting documents/photos for each form, etc.

So we had our interview this morning ( me, spouse n child) at charlotte FO and it was pretty straight forward. The IO asked us to confirm all info on i485. He was extremely nice. He just checked our passports, I.D, and just started to explain the process we need to go through if we want to apply for citizenship after 5 yrs. He asked if we had further questions and i asked so does it mean we are approved....his answer was absolutely!!!

Our case was submitted in October 2016
We were current in November 2016
I am the PA (F1 visa)
Wife and son derivatives ( FF1visas)
I submitted my application with limited documents (USCIS website) because I did not know about this forum
We had 3 infopass to follow up
We had interview scheduled for April 12th.
At our interview we took along any possible document mentioned on this forum including i-134 but he never requested to see any.
Our case status changed to card production right after we USCIS building.

Thanks alot to everyone here. I really learnt alot about the whole process on this forum.
Special thanks to Mom and Britsimon and all who responded to my questions. I don't take it for granted. I really do appreciate it.
I wish everyone best of luck.

That's awesome! Congratulations and enjoy your new status.

The average notification time is 2-3 weeks. If there's no notification after that, and your check hasn't been cashed by then, it most likely means the Chicago Lockbox has rejected your package and will be mailing it back to you.

I recommend you take another look at your AOS package (I'm assuming you made copies of what you sent) - cross check to confirm all your forms were properly signed, you included the correct fee, appropriate supporting documents/photos for each form, etc.
Thanks! I will cross check and give it an extra week.

Hello everyone,
I have not received my green card yet. However, in the welcome letter, it says if I didn't receive it by April 15 I should contact them.
Another thing the status of my husband didn't change. He did two infopass requesting an enquiry they refuse since the timeline is reasonable. Even though; He mentioned to them that his status would expire in Sep 2017. Any advice he will have an infopass on the 19th of April

Thank you,

Your understanding of the EAD is flawed. Neither you nor your wife will need an EAD card once you have your GC - the GC authorizes to work for anyone anywhere in the US (except of course for jobs that requires a US citizenship).

The I-765 is supposed to be submitted with your AOS package if you wish to apply for an EAD card. I strongly recommend you take a look at the AOS process spreadsheet for guidance on what forms you need or should submit. The spreadsheet also has additional information on the potential cons of using an AOS based EAD card to undertake authorized employment.

Thanks again Sm1smom.

I wanted to get your take on some legal advice I received that differs from what i've read on this forum and others.

To recap, this is for an AOS from an A-2.

I've engaged the services of a law firm to double check the AOS package. They are insistent that I include an I-765 or else I will not have employment status during the AOS process. They say that that 508 and 566 effectively renounces the A-2 and there will be a gap. I've argued this point with them.

What do you think? I understand that if i get an EAD and my AOS is rejected then I won't have a valid status to fall back on but they are saying I won't have one anyway after submitting the 508 and 566.

Hello,

I am getting a little worried. I mailed my AOS package over 2 weeks ago and still have not received a text or email notification. I used USPS Priority (with tracking) and mailed it to the below address (as stated on uscis.gov);

USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Was it suppose to go to the other address listed below?

USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

I mailed mine to the PO Box exactly 2 weeks ago, haven't received any notifications yet. Nor have they cashed the check. When did you submit yours?

Hello everyone,
I have not received my green card yet. However, in the welcome letter, it says if I didn't receive it by April 15 I should contact them.
Another thing the status of my husband didn't change. He did two infopass requesting an enquiry they refuse since the timeline is reasonable. Even though; He mentioned to them that his status would expire in Sep 2017. Any advice he will have an infopass on the 19th of April

Thank you,

Back in March you said you got an email notification stating your GC had been mailed - what is your online status currently displaying?

You mean your husband went on an INFOPASS twice and they refused to talk to him??? That doesn't sound right. I don't quite get what you mean by he requested an enquiry at the INFOPASS and they refused him.

Thanks again Sm1smom.

I wanted to get your take on some legal advice I received that differs from what i've read on this forum and others.

To recap, this is for an AOS from an A-2.

I've engaged the services of a law firm to double check the AOS package. They are insistent that I include an I-765 or else I will not have employment status during the AOS process. They say that that 508 and 566 effectively renounces the A-2 and there will be a gap. I've argued this point with them.

What do you think? I understand that if i get an EAD and my AOS is rejected then I won't have a valid status to fall back on but they are saying I won't have one anyway after submitting the 508 and 566.

I'm appalled by the fact that a law firm you're paying to walk you through the process doesn't sound quite knowledgeable regarding the AOS process in general. I suppose it's easy to doubt reasonable advice when it costs nothing hence your need to hire a law firm to cross check what you've been told here. I'm wondering if I shouldn't even start a legal aid clinic of my own and start charging some fees :rolleyes:

For as long as the AOS petition hasn't been approved, forms I-508 and I-566 do not effectively renounce your A-2 status. What a bunch of crap they're telling you! As a matter of fact, if your AOS petition gets denied for some reason, you immediately fall back on your current status as long as you've not used an AOS based EAD card for employment.

Regarding the second part of your post, your understanding of an AOS based EAD card is equally flawed. Applying for an AOS based EAD card doesn't mean you'll no longer have a valid status to fall back on if the AOS petition gets denied. This will only happen IF you use that card to undertake authorized employment. No harm done in applying for the card, so you may apply for it if you wish.

For most people going through the AOS process having an AOS based EAD card is simply a back up plan to enable them work should in case they loose their current job or decide to switch to a different employer while their AOS petition is pending. Now, in this case, such a person has no status to fall back on if the AOS petition gets denied.

My suggestion to you: spend some time and diligently go over the AOS process spreadsheet - it addresses a lot of issues and the pros and cons of an EAD/AP card.

Once I get my green card I'm wondering if I'm able to apply for financial aid and loans for my university?

Ok, and it doesn't fall under public assistance, right?

Once you become a LPR, you're eligible for PELL grants through FAFSA (if you qualify) and any other student loan/financial aid you wish to apply for. You just need to inform your school of your new status.

Hi, I sent my AOS package yesterday. My F1 visa is expiring end of this month. Will it be problem for further processing? I am thinking to apply for the extension of visa, while my AOS processing is on process, will it create problem for the extension of Visa?

Hi, I sent my AOS package yesterday. My F1 visa is expiring end of this month. Will it be problem for further processing? I am thinking to apply for the extension of visa, while my AOS processing is on process, will it create problem for the extension of Visa?

When you say your F1 visa is about to expire, do you mean your current status based on what's on your I-20 or I-94; or the expiration date of the actual visa on your passport?

I renewed my I 20 last year when I traveled home and it is still valid for August 2018 but actual visa on my passport is expiring end of this month.

Back in March you said you got an email notification stating your GC had been mailed - what is your online status currently displaying?

You mean your husband went on an INFOPASS twice, and they refused to talk to him??? That doesn't sound right. I don't quite get what you mean by he requested an inquiry at the INFOPASS and they refused him.

For my status it says
"On March 16, 2017, we mailed your new card for Receipt Number MSCxxxxxx, to the address you gave us. If you do not receive your card by April 15, 2017, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request"
So I will wait until April 15 to request a card.

My husband's case " Interview was completed and case must be reviewed"
So what he did he went to two INFOPASS asking for any update and if they can send an inquiry to the officer. However, they refuse to send an inquiry they said your case is in the right timeline and you can send an inquiry after six months.

Then my husband explains that after six months he won't be eligible for the visa. On the April 19, he scheduled an INFOPASS what do you recommend

Last edited by a moderator: