• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

And who decide whether the application/AOS package is complete or not? For example, who decide whether the medical certificate (form i-693) is correctly filled or not? is it done at the chicago lock box, NBC or the FO?

And who decide whether the application/AOS package is complete or not? For example, who decide whether the medical certificate (form i-693) is correctly filled or not? is it done at the chicago lock box, NBC or the FO?

It depends on what is missing. For instance, if one of your forms is missing a required signature, insufficient payment, etc, the Chicago Lockbox will consider the package as incomplete and return the package. If the medical form is incorrectly filled, the FO makes the call - they may issue an RFE.

When filling out the i134, question 38 asks: I intend/do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of the person named in part 2. Would it be alright if the sponsor checked "do not intend" or will it raise some questions?

I'm currently a student so for Evidence of Financial support is the I-134 from my sponsor enough to bring to the interview? On the google sheets it says bring bank statements, copies of tax transcripts (1-3 years) and I-134. Do I need all of those? Also, for the I-134 when the sponsor provides me with his W-2, does it have to be the W-2 for the past 3 years? Or is the past years W-2 enough?

Last edited:
When filling out the i134, question 38 asks: I intend/do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of the person named in part 2. Would it be alright if the sponsor checked "do not intend" or will it raise some questions?

I'm currently a student so for Evidence of Financial support is the I-134 from my sponsor enough to bring to the interview? On the google sheets it says bring bank statements, copies of tax transcripts (1-3 years) and I-134. Do I need all of those? Also, for the I-134 when the sponsor provides me with his W-2, does it have to be the W-2 for the past 3 years? Or is the past years W-2 enough?

1. If the sponsor is going to select "do not intend", the sponsor shouldn't bother to fill out the affidavit in the first place. A sponsor fills out an affidavit of support with the purpose of supporting whoever it's being filled for.

2a. No the spreadsheet does not say bring bank statements, copies of tax transcripts (1-3 years) and I-134 to the interview. The spreadsheet suggests including all those documents with the AOS package being submitted.

2b. Do you need all of those documents? It's your call. You decide what is pertinent to your case at this point and take that along to your interview.

3. The most recent W2 should be okay. Again the 3 years W2 suggestion has to do with when sending in the AOS package and if your presenting proof of your personal financial stability - you're trying to establish a history of that. There is no suggestion for you to present your sponsor's W2 for the last 3 years.

Hi: I have a couple of questions again. And thank you very much for your help!

1) I am filing AOS in May. I already sent the $330 fee on March 10 but did not get the receipt yet. I read on this forum that the receipt was sent to the person`s address indicated in the lottery registration back in November 2015. When registering for lottery, event though I was in the U.S., I put my home country address. Should I be worried that KCC might have sent the receipt to my home country instead of the U.S. address??
2) High Schools in my home country issue a graduation diploma and supplements with the final exams scores. Would the diploma be enough? Or should I get the supplements as well? ( I also have the University Diploma which I will include in the package).
3) Certified Translation: Both HS Diploma and Birth Certificate have to be translated, but, as I understand, they can be translated by a regular bilingual person (but not a family member) who has to attach the "affidavit of accuracy" stating that this is a true translation and how she is qualified to translate those documents (finished school in the U.S., living in the U.S.)? I do not need to pay for a certified translation services?
4) Letter of employment: I came to the U.S. on J1 Internship Visa. Right now I have the H3 Visa status and I am not technically an employee but a Trainee. Will the letter of employment work in my case? What exactly my employer should state in such letter?
5) Tax transcripts: Should I order those from IRS? Or would just the 1099 from last year work?

Thank you.

1. If the sponsor is going to select "do not intend", the sponsor shouldn't bother to fill out the affidavit in the first place. A sponsor fills out an affidavit of support with the purpose of supporting whoever it's being filled for.

2a. No the spreadsheet does not say bring bank statements, copies of tax transcripts (1-3 years) and I-134 to the interview. The spreadsheet suggests including all those documents with the AOS package being submitted.

2b. Do you need all of those documents? It's your call. You decide what is pertinent to your case at this point and take that along to your interview.

3. The most recent W2 should be okay. Again the 3 years W2 suggestion has to do with when sending in the AOS package and if your presenting proof of your personal financial stability - you're trying to establish a history of that. There is no suggestion for you to present your sponsor's W2 for the last 3 years.

Thanks for the reply because my sponsor and I misinterpreted what it meant. When selecting "I intend", then in part 7 what should he write to explain the exact nature and duration of the contribution? Is the statement, "I intend to provide whatever financial support is needed for as long as needed." enough?

Also, what if you don't check I intend and I do not intend for that question, leaving it unchecked, and in part 7 for the question you write "N/A". Is that not advisable?

Hi: I have a couple of questions again. And thank you very much for your help!

1) I am filing AOS in May. I already sent the $330 fee on March 10 but did not get the receipt yet. I read on this forum that the receipt was sent to the person`s address indicated in the lottery registration back in November 2015. When registering for lottery, event though I was in the U.S., I put my home country address. Should I be worried that KCC might have sent the receipt to my home country instead of the U.S. address??
2) High Schools in my home country issue a graduation diploma and supplements with the final exams scores. Would the diploma be enough? Or should I get the supplements as well? ( I also have the University Diploma which I will include in the package).
3) Certified Translation: Both HS Diploma and Birth Certificate have to be translated, but, as I understand, they can be translated by a regular bilingual person (but not a family member) who has to attach the "affidavit of accuracy" stating that this is a true translation and how she is qualified to translate those documents (finished school in the U.S., living in the U.S.)? I do not need to pay for a certified translation services?
4) Letter of employment: I came to the U.S. on J1 Internship Visa. Right now I have the H3 Visa status and I am not technically an employee but a Trainee. Will the letter of employment work in my case? What exactly my employer should state in such letter?
5) Tax transcripts: Should I order those from IRS? Or would just the 1099 from last year work?

Thank you.

1. When you made the DV payment, did you include a SAE with the payment? You most definitely did not read in this forum that the receipt gets sent to the address listed on the eDV registration - I definitely have never read of anyone here saying so. You are supposed to include a SAE envelope with the payment since that is what KCC uses in mailing back the receipt. Anyway, you can email KCC letting them know you didn't get the receipt and they will email a copy to you.

2. The Diploma alone is sufficient, no supplements required.

3. The translator is required to attach a signed "certified statement" and not an "affidavit of accuracy". The certified statement does not require the translator to state the basis of their qualifications to translate the document.

4. Your employer should know how to write an employment verification letter. If your current income is above the poverty guideline applicable to your case, such a letter may be okay.

5. Order the tax transcripts from the IRS.

Thanks for the reply because my sponsor and I misinterpreted what it meant. When selecting "I intend", then in part 7 what should he write to explain the exact nature and duration of the contribution? Is the statement, "I intend to provide whatever financial support is needed for as long as needed." enough?

Also, what if you don't check I intend and I do not intend for that question, leaving it unchecked, and in part 7 for the question you write "N/A". Is that not advisable?

1. Yes that statement should be okay.

2. No that section cannot be left blank. Writing N/A is as good as selecting 'I do not intend' - there's no way around it. If the sponsor is not willing to commit to supporting you (even if you will not be needing their support), he shouldn't be filing an affidavit of support. Writing N/A or stating I do not intend nullifies the intent of submitting the affidavit in the first place.

I am looking for the ways to expedite the process so we can get our GCs by June.

Hello everybody,

My situation might not be different from others but I really need a good piece of advice. My lottery number EU7xxx. We applied in New York, NY with my wife on October 21 and in November we had our biometrics done. At the end of January we received our EAD with travel documents. No news about Form I-485 progression yet, currently waiting for the interview. Currently we are both on F-1 status.

I finally received paid training program for physicians that I was trying to get for the past 3 years. We will be moving to Massachusetts in June because of it. I really want to know where we stand before I start that training program because if we don't get GC, I could l be sponsored for J1 visa if we apply early. I am afraid that I might not get the GC after I already started that job and the residency program won't be able to start paperwork for J1 visa, and I might loose that job I was working for so hard for the past 3 years.

I am looking for the ways to expedite the process so we can get our GCs by June. Is it possible to get interview faster? If so, should we call? what should be our next step? Is it better continue waiting in New York, or move to Massachusetts earlier and change the processing center, hoping that their office will work faster?

I would really appreciate someone's advice on that. Thank you.

Expires on: what does your I20 or I94 say? Use whichever of those documents has the longest stay period listed.

Select H and fill out the blank section with something like "DV Lottery Winner. Selectee Notification Letter Attached"

Hi @Sm1smom,

If I am on F1 visa but doing OPT do I put the i20 date or the EAD expiration date?

Thanks!

I am looking for the ways to expedite the process so we can get our GCs by June.

Hello everybody,

My situation might not be different from others but I really need a good piece of advice. My lottery number EU7xxx. We applied in New York, NY with my wife on October 21 and in November we had our biometrics done. At the end of January we received our EAD with travel documents. No news about Form I-485 progression yet, currently waiting for the interview. Currently we are both on F-1 status.

I finally received paid training program for physicians that I was trying to get for the past 3 years. We will be moving to Massachusetts in June because of it. I really want to know where we stand before I start that training program because if we don't get GC, I could l be sponsored for J1 visa if we apply early. I am afraid that I might not get the GC after I already started that job and the residency program won't be able to start paperwork for J1 visa, and I might loose that job I was working for so hard for the past 3 years.

I am looking for the ways to expedite the process so we can get our GCs by June. Is it possible to get interview faster? If so, should we call? what should be our next step? Is it better continue waiting in New York, or move to Massachusetts earlier and change the processing center, hoping that their office will work faster?

Your timing looks pretty similar to mine (and I'm also with the NYC Field Office). I had my INFOPASS last week and they basically just told me to wait. Seems that the FO has had my application since Feb 14 and that they'll start processing interview appointments in another month or so. If there are any ways to expedite, I'm all ears also ...

Hello everybody,

Follow up on your case by going on an INFOPASS. I wouldn't recommend letting them know you plan on moving to Massachusetts though because if you do, they might tell you to go ahead with the move which and do a change of address which will lead to your case being transferred over to Massachusetts - you may experience further delays as a result of that.

I'm not quite certain how easy it will be for you to get the J visa considering the fact that you've already declared an immigrant intent - J visas are not dual intent visas, so maybe getting that may not be as easy as you're thinking. Just though to point it out.

Is the diversity fee receipt (330$) just the same form we receive and send as 2NL with a stamp on it that says Paid?
That is exactly what I got as a receipt. Just the word document that I made with my name, address, amount, and case number and they put a stamp on it saying when it was paid.

Hello everyone,

The USCIS website (sorry I was not allowed to add a link) states that a newer version of the form I-693 must be used after 04/28/2017. The old version is no longer available on the USCIS website but I was able to download it from other sources. Given that I am submitting my form in a couple of days, which version should I use? My civil surgeon is confused too. And, he said I don't need a flu shot because it's not a flu season, but the USCIS website says anyone doing medical before or on 03/31 must have a record of flu shots. Please advise.

Thanks.

But my I20 expired in May 2016 when I received my work authorization card for OPT.

Sorry for the double message.

My latest i20 says it expired on May 2016 but that I am on OPT until Jun 2017. My EAD card says July 2017.

Which month is correct?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Hello everyone,

The USCIS website (sorry I was not allowed to add a link) states that a newer version of the form I-693 must be used after 04/28/2017. The old version is no longer available on the USCIS website but I was able to download it from other sources. Given that I am submitting my form in a couple of days, which version should I use? My civil surgeon is confused too. And, he said I don't need a flu shot because it's not a flu season, but the USCIS website says anyone doing medical before or on 03/31 must have a record of flu shots. Please advise.

Thanks.

You can still use the older version as long as it is signed and dated by your CS prior to 4/2/2017. USCIS will not accept the old form if it is signed and dated by the CS on or after 4/2/2017.

USCIS considers the flu season to be from Oct 1st - March 31st, so if your CS is conducting your medical on or before Mar 31st, you do need the flu shot. If you don't want the flu shot, wait until Apr 1st before starting your medical.