• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Great, thank you. I assume that the earlier I submit the package, the better? I wish I had the time to put everything together in under 24hs, but unfortunately I have to ask people in my home country to find and send me documents, which may take a while. What date range should I be aiming for (I realize that there may not be an appropriate response)?
Also, just to be clear, I should still wait until I have the 2NL and DV administrative fee pay receipt to send in the package (since according to the spreadsheet these ought to be included), shouldn't I?

I have done biometrics (walked in) and am anxiously waiting for the interview letter. Is there anyway I can get any information about my application? Is waiting for the interview letter only way to get further information?

In addition to above question, got another question:
I am an F1 student. In the past, I filed tax as a non-resident alien because of the exemption from substantial presence tax as an F1 student.

I have filed an application and am waiting for interview. I suppose that means I violated condition 3 in the above link (and probably 2 because I changed my immigration intent?), does that mean I have to file tax as a resident alien this year? During my interview (supposedly sometime before September this year), do I have to bring my tax documents for this year or just for previous years? If I have to bring the documents for this year, will filing as a wrong identity (resident alien vs nonresident alien) have a large impact on chance of successfully passing the interview and get GC?

Thanks a lot for your help!

(refer to irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/the-closer-connection-exception-to-the-substantial-presence-test-for-foreign-students)

Great, thank you. I assume that the earlier I submit the package, the better? I wish I had the time to put everything together in under 24hs, but unfortunately I have to ask people in my home country to find and send me documents, which may take a while. What date range should I be aiming for (I realize that there may not be an appropriate response)?

I'm sorry I can't give you a date range to aim for. I'm just shocked you're talking about contacting people in your home country to send you the documents you will need now. What have you been doing since May 2016? Unbelievable!!

Also, just to be clear, I should still wait until I have the 2NL and DV administrative fee pay receipt to send in the package (since according to the spreadsheet these ought to be included), shouldn't I?

Do you realize the DV based AOS process is a race against time? Are you aware of the fact that if you're not approved by Sept. 30th COB, that is the end of your AOS petition?

And did you read my previous response about not having to wait for a response from KCC before proceeding? Forget about the 2NL. Make the DV payment, get the receipt and send in your package - assuming your medical is ready and you've received the documents you're getting sent from your home country.

I have done biometrics (walked in) and am anxiously waiting for the interview letter. Is there anyway I can get any information about my application? Is waiting for the interview letter only way to get further information?

No updates are made until a decision is made - so no way of tracking the case per se. You can however take a look at both the present and past Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of the average processing time for your FO and/or other FOs. This should enable you to know how long of a wait you may have or to get an idea of when to go on an INFOPASS to follow up on the case.

In addition to above question, got another question:
I am an F1 student. In the past, I filed tax as a non-resident alien because of the exemption from substantial presence tax as an F1 student.

I have filed an application and am waiting for interview. I suppose that means I violated condition 3 in the above link (and probably 2 because I changed my immigration intent?), does that mean I have to file tax as a resident alien this year? During my interview (supposedly sometime before September this year), do I have to bring my tax documents for this year or just for previous years? If I have to bring the documents for this year, will filing as a wrong identity (resident alien vs nonresident alien) have a large impact on chance of successfully passing the interview and get GC?

Thanks a lot for your help!

(refer to irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/the-closer-connection-exception-to-the-substantial-presence-test-for-foreign-students)

Im sorry I can't comment on tax related issues. Your tax documents should have been included with your AOS package by the way.

Hi,

I have a question regarding evidence of financial support. My wife is the DV selectee and I am the co-applicant. My wife's EAD has expired around mid last year (and she hasn't been working since then), but last December she applied for EAD renewal and is expecting to receive the new card (recently approved and is expected to arrive soon). However, I recently graduated and got a new job (starting Dec 2016) with an income that is nearly twice the 125% for a household of 4. Can she present proof of that income as financial support? Would that be sufficient? What would be the best way to present proof of that, pay-stub/invoice, letter from my employer, other? Also, do I also need to present that same proof in my I-485 application?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have a question regarding evidence of financial support. My wife is the DV selectee and I am the co-applicant. My wife's EAD has expired around mid last year (and she hasn't been working since then), but last December she applied for EAD renewal and is expecting to receive the new card (recently approved and is expected to arrive soon). However, I recently graduated and got a new job (starting Dec 2016) with an income that is nearly twice the 125% for a household of 4. Can she present proof of that income as financial support? Would that be sufficient? What would be the best way to present proof of that, pay-stub/invoice, letter from my employer, other? Also, do I also need to present that same proof in my I-485 application?

Thanks!

Yes you can use both your wife and your personal income to prove you're not likely to become a public charge.

Take a look at the AOS process spreadsheet for guidance on financial evidence documents.

I'm sorry I can't give you a date range to aim for. I'm just shocked you're talking about contacting people in your home country to send you the documents you will need now. What have you been doing since May 2016? Unbelievable!!
Well, since I had a very high CN (19XX in SA), I had pretty much given up any hope of it becoming current. I never imagined I'd have a decent shot. What, historically, has been the average processing time (i.e., odds of approval by Sept. 30)?

Well, since I had a very high CN (19XX in SA), I had pretty much given up any hope of it becoming current. I never imagined I'd have a decent shot. What, historically, has been the average processing time (i.e., odds of approval by Sept. 30)?

The average time mostly depends of your FO. You can get an idea of the processing time of your FO in previous years' Timeline.

Last edited:
The average time mostly depends of your FO. You can get an idea of the processing time of your FO in previous years' Timeline.
I have a quick question regarding previous timelines as well. My field office is in Saint Paul, MN. I did have an infopass at the beginning of March and they told me that my background check had cleared on February 17th. According to the previous timelines the time between biometrics (Feb. 9th 2017) and interview letter varies GREATLY (as little as 4 days but also as long as 183 days :( ). I have scheduled another Infopass for April 5th. Is it possible to get a expedite on the case at the Field Office at all? I was hoping that it wouldn't take more than 2 months after my biometrics to have an interview letter or decision.

If I am employed and make above the certain limits required:
1- Is an employment contract stating my salary with a bank account statement are enough as an evidence of financial support?
2- I have been paying taxes for 3 years now. What is the best tax documents to provide? (W9 vs 1040 vs other?)
Thanks,

Hello,

I am compiling my AOS package and I'm using the aos package list in the excel file. For current H1B holders, do i need to provide the documents listed under "evidence of financial support" such as bank statements? Can i just provide my pay stubs and employment offer letter?

I would at least have made sure I had the civil documents on hand just in case, if I was in your shoes. Oh well!

Take a look at the Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of the average processing time.

Under the instructions of I-134 form it says, "If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed." But the form does not allow me to type N/A (getting an error message saying enter only letter, space and hyphen). Did anybody else have this problem? Can i just write N/A on pen and type everything else?

I have a quick question regarding previous timelines as well. My field office is in Saint Paul, MN. I did have an infopass at the beginning of March and they told me that my background check had cleared on February 17th. According to the previous timelines the time between biometrics (Feb. 9th 2017) and interview letter varies GREATLY (as little as 4 days but also as long as 183 days :( ). I have scheduled another Infopass for April 5th. Is it possible to get a expedite on the case at the Field Office at all? I was hoping that it wouldn't take more than 2 months after my biometrics to have an interview letter or decision.

Considering your AOS package was submitted mid January, I believe your timeline processing is still on track. I don't see a reason for USCIS to entertain an expedite request as a result of that, and considering the fact that the 2017 FY is just mid way - there's still about 6 months left.

If I am employed and make above the certain limits required:
1- Is an employment contract stating my salary with a bank account statement are enough as an evidence of financial support?
2- I have been paying taxes for 3 years now. What is the best tax documents to provide? (W9 vs 1040 vs other?)
Thanks,

1. Take a look at the AOS process spreadsheet for guidance on the recommended evidence of financial support.

2. Same as 1 above.

Under the instructions of I-134 form it says, "If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed." But the form does not allow me to type N/A (getting an error message saying enter only letter, space and hyphen). Did anybody else have this problem? Can i just write N/A on pen and type everything else?

You can simply type in "NA" - it is the same as 'N/A' innit? :rolleyes:

Hello,

I am compiling my AOS package and I'm using the aos package list in the excel file. For current H1B holders, do i need to provide the documents listed under "evidence of financial support" such as bank statements? Can i just provide my pay stubs and employment offer letter?

The AOS process spreadsheet is a guide - don't include the documents if you think they're not necessary.