• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

First, check your junk folders to see if it's in there.

Alternatively, Sydney might not be sending out the emails anymore. If you want to be sure, just email them and confirm that you'll be there.

First, check your junk folders to see if it's in there.

Alternatively, Sydney might not be sending out the emails anymore. If you want to be sure, just email them and confirm that you'll be there.

Hi EmilyW,

Thank you for your email. I have emailed the consulate to confirm the interview. Sorry for all the questions. As you can see, I am very nervous about it all.

Thank you again and have a nice weekend.

Kind Regards
Hugh

Hey all,
it's getting close to my interview, and I couldn't have done it without the help on this forum, so whether I get in or not, thanks so much!
I was overseas when I found out I won the lottery, and just recently got back to New Zealand, so I've been rushing round getting documents and medical checks. One thing that may be an issue is that one of the vaccines supposedly takes a month to take effect, but when I brought this up with the consulate the Immigrant Visa Assistant (via emails) said it was fine if I interviewed and had my completed medical check posted later, which is odd, as it seemed to contradict what the letter from the consulate says about failure to present necessary documents at the interview, but I double checked with the Assistant and I guess I'll know for sure soon enough.

I have a question about the required documents which the consular letter says have to be sent for review prior to interview. Does this include my degree, if I want to take that as well as my high school records? And do I also have to mail my proof of funds and CV ahead of time along with the birth cert etc? I'm guessing yes, though the letter isn't clear on that. Mostly I'm wondering if should send my degree, which would be a bit of a hassle, as it's framed, or if it's OK to just turn up with some of that stuff at the time.

Otherwise, things look OK but I'm relatively young and so far lack a lucrative career, so as the idea of moving to the USA comes closer to reality I'm starting to think a lot harder about how I'll make it in America, and if it's all worth it. Ha. It's tough out there.

Peace, and thanks in advance!

Hey all,
it's getting close to my interview, and I couldn't have done it without the help on this forum, so whether I get in or not, thanks so much!
I was overseas when I found out I won the lottery, and just recently got back to New Zealand, so I've been rushing round getting documents and medical checks. One thing that may be an issue is that one of the vaccines supposedly takes a month to take effect, but when I brought this up with the consulate the Immigrant Visa Assistant (via emails) said it was fine if I interviewed and had my completed medical check posted later, which is odd, as it seemed to contradict what the letter from the consulate says about failure to present necessary documents at the interview, but I double checked with the Assistant and I guess I'll know for sure soon enough.

I have a question about the required documents which the consular letter says have to be sent for review prior to interview. Does this include my degree, if I want to take that as well as my high school records? And do I also have to mail my proof of funds and CV ahead of time along with the birth cert etc? I'm guessing yes, though the letter isn't clear on that. Mostly I'm wondering if should send my degree, which would be a bit of a hassle, as it's framed, or if it's OK to just turn up with some of that stuff at the time.

Otherwise, things look OK but I'm relatively young and so far lack a lucrative career, so as the idea of moving to the USA comes closer to reality I'm starting to think a lot harder about how I'll make it in America, and if it's all worth it. Ha. It's tough out there.

Peace, and thanks in advance!

It sounds like you haven't read the dvselectee instructions too well. I suggest you do that. Have you obtained your police certificates?

Great, thank you both for your assistance.

One last questions, I promise, I have not confirmed my interview next Tuesday. I am unsure if I need to or not?

Thank you.

Hugh
Though Hugh, I had miy interview last week. I took all my graduation certificates, and they only said they needed my highest qualification.
But safe to take them all just in case :)

Reactions: Eby
Haha, nah I've read it many times carefully, but some of the wording seems ambiguous or contradictory to me, a mere farmboy from the provinces, so, for example it says twice that 'originals of ALL personal documents required for review PRIOR to appointment', and 'mail ALL documents, except passports, to consulate for review, prior to appointment', then further down the page it says 'AS WELL as the above documents, please ensure you bring to your interview evidence of your own funds/assets and CV/resume' (all emphases mine), so I assume those last ones don't have to be sent in prior, but it's not 100% clear to me if ALL DOCUMENTS means actually 'all documents' or just the documents it says before 'the above documents', ya know? I've sent the police clearance form, birth certificate, passport photos, and high school records (no joke, but do you also need primary school records or is high school enough?, because it says 12 years schooling OR high school equivalent, but whether the high school record supersedes the '12 years', because if you went to high school you went to primary school first, or you need both, is unclear, to me anyway). And i'm unsure of whether i need to send my degree certificate ahead for review or just take it to the interview if it's not included in ALL DOCUMENTS. 'All documents' is the main thing that's confusing me.

Then for the medical check; the state website says 'YOU MUST bring it sealed (not opened) to your visa interview.' The letter says 2-3 weeks or more for some results whereas the Doctor says one particular vaccine may take over a month to get confirmed. But that apparently won't matter because the consular assistant says it's ok if the final results don't come in time for the interview, do that first and they'll decide on my green card when they get the results.

So yea, either I'm insane or these bureaucracies aren't infallible and confusing terms and unclear info can creep in, which is why I'm triple checking (or quadruple if you count the letter, website, and consular assistant) here on the forums, in case anyone else knows, just to be sure as possible

Haha, nah I've read it many times carefully, but some of the wording seems ambiguous or contradictory to me, a mere farmboy from the provinces, ..... but do you also need primary school records or is high school enough?, because it says 12 years schooling OR high school equivalent, but whether the high school record supersedes the '12 years', because if you went to high school you went to primary school first, or you need both, is unclear, to me anyway). And i'm unsure of whether i need to send my degree certificate ahead for review or just take it to the interview if it's not included in ALL DOCUMENTS. 'All documents' is the main thing that's confusing me.

I think Simon is correct and you are relying on the consular info which should be in addition to the basics outlined in the dvselectee pages, linked from your winner letter. For example on your confusion about what to show for schooling, it says:

Education: Submit to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at your interview, a certificate of completion equivalent to a U.S. diploma, school transcripts, or other evidence issued by the person or organization responsible for maintaining records, which specifies the completed course of study.

So if you have a diploma or whatever showing you completed high school that is clearly all you need, not primary school transcripts.

https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Haha, nah I've read it many times carefully, but some of the wording seems ambiguous or contradictory to me, a mere farmboy from the provinces, so, for example it says twice that 'originals of ALL personal documents required for review PRIOR to appointment', and 'mail ALL documents, except passports, to consulate for review, prior to appointment', then further down the page it says 'AS WELL as the above documents, please ensure you bring to your interview evidence of your own funds/assets and CV/resume' (all emphases mine), so I assume those last ones don't have to be sent in prior, but it's not 100% clear to me if ALL DOCUMENTS means actually 'all documents' or just the documents it says before 'the above documents', ya know? I've sent the police clearance form, birth certificate, passport photos, and high school records (no joke, but do you also need primary school records or is high school enough?, because it says 12 years schooling OR high school equivalent, but whether the high school record supersedes the '12 years', because if you went to high school you went to primary school first, or you need both, is unclear, to me anyway). And i'm unsure of whether i need to send my degree certificate ahead for review or just take it to the interview if it's not included in ALL DOCUMENTS. 'All documents' is the main thing that's confusing me.

Then for the medical check; the state website says 'YOU MUST bring it sealed (not opened) to your visa interview.' The letter says 2-3 weeks or more for some results whereas the Doctor says one particular vaccine may take over a month to get confirmed. But that apparently won't matter because the consular assistant says it's ok if the final results don't come in time for the interview, do that first and they'll decide on my green card when they get the results.

So yea, either I'm insane or these bureaucracies aren't infallible and confusing terms and unclear info can creep in, which is why I'm triple checking (or quadruple if you count the letter, website, and consular assistant) here on the forums, in case anyone else knows, just to be sure as possible

The DVselectee site defines the standard list of documents and provides guidance on those such as when (according to the standard guidelines that all embassies should follow) for example, you need to obtain a police certificate. So - the dvselectee site is the first place you look - dvselectee.state.gov

The dvselectee site also has links to pdfs with embassy specific instructions. Not all embassies have pdfs.

Also within that site is a link to the reciprocity pages. Within the reciprocity page for each country there is information on country specifics about obtaining those documents (for example, how to obtain the police certificate from country A or country B.

Then, some embassies (Sydney IS one of them) send a confirmation letter prior to interview which has some specific instructions, which are mainly a repeat of the dvselectee site. The wonderful Emily has links to examples of the Sydney document checklist and confirmation letter in the "secret dropbox" which is secretly hidden in her signature (don't tell everyone otherwise everyone will be prepared for their interview!).

Some embassies (very few, and Sydney is NOT one of them) ask for documents to be mailed to the embassy prior to the interview.

Now - what could be more clear or simple than that???

Thanks man! Yeah the letter from the consulate pretty much nails it, just seemed ambiguous whether 'all documents mailed prior' included proof of assets, CV, extra qualifications, etc, but I think it doesn't and I'm sure it'll work out fine anyway. Thanks heaps for the feedback.

Here's the relevant page of the letter from the Auckland consulate if anyone wants a gander
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1AhU5GyPpdkb3ZEZjRLSENFYTg/view?usp=sharing

Hey all - It's been a week since we arrived. Got a place in San Francisco now and looking forward to the future! Thanks again to all who have helped answer so many questions :)

2 quick additional ones ;-)

With the SSN, does it always come as long as you checked the box to apply for it? Or should I just go in to manually apply?

And lastly, with the California driver's license, I assume one needs to provide a home address via lease documents or something? Are there guidelines for foreign nationals applying anywhere?

Hey all - It's been a week since we arrived. Got a place in San Francisco now and looking forward to the future! Thanks again to all who have helped answer so many questions :)

2 quick additional ones ;-)

With the SSN, does it always come as long as you checked the box to apply for it? Or should I just go in to manually apply?

And lastly, with the California driver's license, I assume one needs to provide a home address via lease documents or something? Are there guidelines for foreign nationals applying anywhere?

SSN usually comes, don't need to fight the SSA office queues unnecessarily.... give it another week, and if it hasn't arrived then go in.

I don't actually remember providing proof of residence to the DMV but that may be my faulty memory. I do recall they wanted to see our green cards and SSN cards, and my license is unrestricted for vision because the lady forgot to give me an eye test or ask (I wear contact lenses) :eek:

This also doesn't mention actually proving proof of residence, just how to figure out if you are resident:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/dl_info#two500

How to apply for a driver license if you are over 18
If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

To apply for an original driver license if you are over 18, you will need to do the following:

• •Make an appointment before visiting a DMV office (walk-ins are only accepted at our Driver License Processing Centers).

•Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)

•Give a thumb print

•Have your picture taken

•Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.

•Verify your birth date and legal presence

•Provide your true full name

•Pay the application fee

•Pass a vision exam

•Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 36 questions on the test. You have three chances to pass.​

---don't freak out about the 10 days as you almost certainly can't get an appointment that soon - but make the appointment and keep the confirmation on hand in case you get a traffic stop. The DMVs can differ a lot with earliest days available so 'shop around'. Can make the written (actually computer) test appointment online.
Remember you need to stop for a stopped school bus with red lights flashing even if it's on the opposite side of the road. Everything else is pretty straightforward if you have driving experience.

SSN usually comes, don't need to fight the SSA office queues unnecessarily.... give it another week, and if it hasn't arrived then go in.

I don't actually remember providing proof of residence to the DMV but that may be my faulty memory. I do recall they wanted to see our green cards and SSN cards, and my license is unrestricted for vision because the lady forgot to give me an eye test or ask (I wear contact lenses) :eek:

This also doesn't mention actually proving proof of residence, just how to figure out if you are resident:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/dl_info#two500

How to apply for a driver license if you are over 18
If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

To apply for an original driver license if you are over 18, you will need to do the following:

• •Make an appointment before visiting a DMV office (walk-ins are only accepted at our Driver License Processing Centers).

•Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)

•Give a thumb print

•Have your picture taken

•Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.

•Verify your birth date and legal presence

•Provide your true full name

•Pay the application fee

•Pass a vision exam

•Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 36 questions on the test. You have three chances to pass.​

---don't freak out about the 10 days as you almost certainly can't get an appointment that soon - but make the appointment and keep the confirmation on hand in case you get a traffic stop. The DMVs can differ a lot with earliest days available so 'shop around'. Can make the written (actually computer) test appointment online.
Remember you need to stop for a stopped school bus with red lights flashing even if it's on the opposite side of the road. Everything else is pretty straightforward if you have driving experience.

Awesome, thanks so much! I'll try and make an appointment with the DMV as I have heard it can take awhile lol

And will wait a week or so for the SSNs :)

I second the school bus advice. Here in NC, that's the worst offense from a demerit points perspective. I saw a guy do it earlier this week. BOOM! The popo were all over him.

Definitely shop around for the DMV too. We made sure ours was a quieter ones and not one of the ones in Downtown Charlotte where the drivers are blind, deaf and incredibly bad. Some will also have shorter wait times.

Hi everyone,
What are you meant to bring to the interview regarding Employment Records and ONET Qualifications?
I am a little confused.
Am I meant to bring a personal CV?
Thank you.

I'm pretty sure the new checklist asks you to bring a CV now. I'm not an expert on qualifying via employment but I've heard contracts, position descriptions, a copy of the ONET classification you are seeking to qualify under... bring all of it.

Hi everyone,
What are you meant to bring to the interview regarding Employment Records and ONET Qualifications?
I am a little confused.
Am I meant to bring a personal CV?
Thank you.

Are you qualifying solely through work experience? If so, you need to prepare a case that demonstrates how your job aligns with a specific O*Net job description. If you need to do that, say here because you might need to get some specific guidance.

If you qualify on education, then they won't get into work experience in any detail at all. A CV isn't a bad idea, but it is rare they ask anything about it since you have to onlyu meet the requirement on education OR work experience, not both.

I booked my activation trip. I'm so excited! and nervous. :eek:
I'm still looking where I'd like to settle, and am worried about finding a job.
Everyone else seems to have found them so easy.

I booked my activation trip. I'm so excited! and nervous. :eek:
I'm still looking where I'd like to settle, and am worried about finding a job.
Everyone else seems to have found them so easy.
Good jobs are difficult to come by, at least in WA. Foreign qualification has no value to Americans - my Masters in Computing Science is laughing matter here.

Good jobs are difficult to come by, at least in WA. Foreign qualification has no value to Americans - my Masters in Computing Science is laughing matter here.

That's odd. I know a good number of people in IT with foreign degrees who have had no problem using them for jobs. WA is pretty tech-heavy too, afaik, so I'm surprised you're finding issues.

That's odd. I know a good number of people in IT with foreign degrees who have had no problem using them for jobs. WA is pretty tech-heavy too, afaik, so I'm surprised you're finding issues.
Hi @SusieQQQ, yes that is what I assumed initially. However, keeping fingers crossed that I strike the lucky deal soon. Maybe it is just me or I am not approaching the right companies.