• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

You will seriously be fine with the driver's test. It was a doddle. Simon's link to the video above is one I used in prep for the test: it really helped.

Finally received our green cards today which was exciting; they arrived at our US address about four weeks after activating (social security cards arrived within two weeks). However... they spelled my wife's name incorrectly!! Aargh, now I'm going to have to organise a replacement.

Finally received our green cards today which was exciting; they arrived at our US address about four weeks after activating (social security cards arrived within two weeks). However... they spelled my wife's name incorrectly!! Aargh, now I'm going to have to organise a replacement.

Be sure to cross check how you spelt the name on the forms and documents submitted. You'll get a free replacement GC if the spelling error is strictly from USCIS's side. Otherwise you'll be stuck with the cost of the replacement card which is about $450(?). For instance if her name was wrongly spelt on her visa, you'll still be required to pay for the replacement.

Be sure to cross check how you spelt the name on the forms and documents submitted. You'll get a free replacement GC if the spelling error is strictly from USCIS's side. Otherwise you'll be stuck with the cost of the replacement card which is about $450(?). For instance if her name was wrongly spelt on her visa, you'll still be required to pay for the replacement.

It's definitely their mistake. Her name is spelled correctly on her visa (in her passport) and on her Social Security card. Her name is Amelia but for some reason the used Ameliea...

It's definitely their mistake. Her name is spelled correctly on her visa (in her passport) and on her Social Security card. Her name is Amelia but for some reason the used Ameliea...

Ha! Their fault, big time!! They owe you a new one. Of course you'll be required to mail in the current card when you apply for the replacement.

Hello Everyone,

First time posting here as I always thought I'd jinx myself coming before being approved :p Yes, silly, but I tend to have the worst luck and jinx everything :p
Anyway, I had my interview on Tuesday and got my package back today with my Visa!
I never thought I'd get to this point and am very excited and nervous!

Now I need to do my "activation trip". And I was planning on also looking at one of the states I want to live.
How long should I take for this? I was thinking a week in Hawaii for activation and sorting my SSN then a couple of days to see the state?

Thank-you :)

Hello Everyone,

First time posting here as I always thought I'd jinx myself coming before being approved :p Yes, silly, but I tend to have the worst luck and jinx everything :p
Anyway, I had my interview on Tuesday and got my package back today with my Visa!
I never thought I'd get to this point and am very excited and nervous!

Now I need to do my "activation trip". And I was planning on also looking at one of the states I want to live.
How long should I take for this? I was thinking a week in Hawaii for activation and sorting my SSN then a couple of days to see the state?

Congratulations on getting your visa @Beauty.

With activation, you can take as long or as short as you like.

You can literally step off the plan, get your visa stamped, then get straight back on a plane and go home. Or conversely, you can get your visa stamped and stay for 6 months.

Also, you don't have activate in Hawaii before going to the states. You can activate at any US International Airport.

Congratulations on getting your visa @Beauty.

With activation, you can take as long or as short as you like.

You can literally step off the plan, get your visa stamped, then get straight back on a plane and go home. Or conversely, you can get your visa stamped and stay for 6 months.

Also, you don't have activate in Hawaii before going to the states. You can activate at any US International Airport.

Thanks, Matt :)

Though, I meant not just getting my Visa stamped, but also sorting my SSN which I've heard is a painstaking task. So I would want to stay as long as I need to get it sorted. (And Hawaii is just the cheapest place to Travel to from Oz :) )

If anyone is able to give me a guide of how long I should stay for that, it would be great :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Matt :)

Though, I meant not just getting my Visa stamped, but also sorting my SSN which I've heard is a painstaking task. So I would want to stay as long as I need to get it sorted. (And Hawaii is just the cheapest place to Travel to from Oz :) )

If anyone is able to give me a guide of how long I should stay for that, it would be great :)

Did you tick the box for SSN on your DS260? If so, it should just automatically arrive.
In case it doesn't, which you'd know by a couple of weeks, all you need to do is stand in a line at a SSA office. But it's been reported in the past that they refuse to do them if you are not resident (have a permanent address such as the one you send your green card or SSN to) in the state you're applying.

Did you tick the box for SSN on your DS260? If so, it should just automatically arrive.
In case it doesn't, which you'd know by a couple of weeks, all you need to do is stand in a line at a SSA office. But it's been reported in the past that they refuse to do them if you are not resident (have a permanent address such as the one you send your green card or SSN to) in the state you're applying.

Thanks, SusieQQQ. Much appreciated. Will do activation and sort ssn later if I don't get it automatically. That makes the first trip easier to plan :)

If an ssa office asks for proof of residence, that would be incorrect and the applicant should immediately question that. The list of documents needed (published by the ssa) does not include residence/address information and there is no state aspect to the SSN (they used to issue numbers by state, but not now).

In reality, getting residence proof (such as a lease etc) would be an unfair extra burden to introduce.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

If an ssa office asks for proof of residence, that would be incorrect and the applicant should immediately question that. The list of documents needed (published by the ssa) does not include residence/address information and there is no state aspect to the SSN (they used to issue numbers by state, but not now).

In reality, getting residence proof (such as a lease etc) would be an unfair extra burden to introduce.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

I recall the previous issue came up simply because the address they wanted the card mailed to was in a different state, not because the SSA office asked for proof of residence.

In any case this shouldn't be an issue to begin with. I'm not a fan of the "waste time at SSA office just in case" line of thinking when the number of people who don't get the cards is very small, even if they end up being very vocal when they come on forums, just like those who don't get their green cards sent. Most people do indeed get their cards automatically.

They have Lindt though, so that made it ok. I just missed the waxy compound chocolate of Cadburys.
My favourites Cadburys are fruit and nut, chocolate milk, mint, caramel, almond and kit kat Which is nestles. Here in NZ we have whitakers, which is devine. I don't want to give up my cheese n chocolates and not forgetting our wines.

Last edited:
Next US milestone achieved today: finally bought a car! Well, almost. I haven't got insurance so I'll have to go back to pick it up when I do. Got ungodly quotes from every dealer I went to naturally with barely any credit history. Settled on a used 2014 car and with a hefty down payment, got a very manageable monthly payment rate though still with a high APR. Might try and refinance later if it's not feasible to pay off the rest in the near future.

Hi All,
I have my interview in Sydney next Tuesday. Extremely nervous.
I have all the information that has been requested. Two quick questions:
1) Do I need to confirm my appointment with the consulate?
2) The education requirement-a bachelor degree-I have a completed Masters in Finance. I was planning on only taking that document, do I also need to bring my bachelor degree as well?

Thank you.

Bring everything. Keep the required documents (i.e. the ones on the checklist) in one folder. Put the rest in the other. You may not need the other folder but it's better to walk in with too much than too little. My husband (principal applicant) took along his degrees as did I, just in case. As it turned out, they asked for his degrees because they got confused with his high school results (he did his high school in England and they don't often see O and A levels).

The consulate should have (well they did when we interviewed) an email confirming your appointment. Did you get that and did you respond to it? If so, you're all good.

Don't stress. I know you will, but don't. So long as you meet the requirements and you have all the documents they need, it's an administrative page turn. Our CO even yawned during our interview, it was that dull.

Hi All,
I have my interview in Sydney next Tuesday. Extremely nervous.
I have all the information that has been requested. Two quick questions:
1) Do I need to confirm my appointment with the consulate?
2) The education requirement-a bachelor degree-I have a completed Masters in Finance. I was planning on only taking that document, do I also need to bring my bachelor degree as well?

Thank you.

To add to the correct answer from Emily - bring the masters, bachelors AND high school documentation.

Great, thank you both for your assistance.

One last questions, I promise, I have not confirmed my interview next Tuesday. I am unsure if I need to or not?

Thank you.

Hugh

Emily asked if you received an email from the embassy or not, you did not respond to that. Sydney typically sends out an email, so did you receive the email and did you respond to it?

Emily asked if you received an email from the embassy or not, you did not respond to that. Sydney typically sends out an email, so did you receive the email and did you respond to it?
Sorry, I forgot to respond directly to that question. My mistake.
I did receive any email titled "Required entry status check for DV submission". The email I had a noreply@state.gov address attached to it.
It just redirected me to the interview data and time.